Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

The site is empty because it's one of the most significant blocks in the city, assembled into public hands for years. New subway stations don't always need new development to make sense. Sometimes an area that's already dense (and in the case of this area, growing fast) just needs rapid transit. The Ontario Line will have very strong ridership from day one. Sacrificing the first parliament site is completely unnecessary.
While I 100% agree with that, I think the fact that an Ontario line station will be built on/adjacent to the site does make it necessary to LOOK at density and height increases over what was being discussed during the Master Plan talk and should also make it worth the Minister looking at an MZO for the adjacent 'server building lot" on the east side of Parliament too. The City has said that they have no problem with the site being used (carefully) as a staging area for construction but that they are opposed to it being taken over for ever (or until they sell it!) by the Province.

Density is for important for this site, especially considering new major transit, but I'm not so sure I can see a well thought plan being assembled by this government, especially in their usual rushing methodology to plans. Ideally creating development which suits the site and respects the precedent of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, whilst creating a space for people to work, live have community space, and transit right at their doorstep will be crucial for this site.

Density is for important for this site, especially considering new major transit, but I'm not so sure I can see a well thought plan being assembled by this government, especially in their usual rushing methodology to plans. Ideally creating development which suits the site and respects the precedent of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, whilst creating a space for people to work, live have community space, and transit right at their doorstep will be crucial for this site.
Thankfully, Queen's Park will have little role in the actual site plan.

Infrastructure Ontario's real estate department will be overseeing the actual development proposal and specs, and they have a lot of experience already with downtown development, especially in the east end. This will be developed with a developer-partner who will also lend their experience towards the project, much like throughout the West Don Lands.

Thankfully, Queen's Park will have little role in the actual site plan.

Infrastructure Ontario's real estate department will be overseeing the actual development proposal and specs, and they have a lot of experience already with downtown development, especially in the east end. This will be developed with a developer-partner who will also lend their experience towards the project, much like throughout the West Don Lands.
You seriously think IO is allowed to do what they want without micro managing from the politicians (and their backers)? The development of the WDL was overseen by WT who are more insulated from governments as they have 3 of them involved and WT also have a strong culture of seeking and listening to citizens. Really the complete opposite of IO.

Letter from the West Don Lands Committee to the Executive Committee.

1619655770386.png

1619655791130.png

The Feds funding conditions for the Ontario Line may make 'saving' the FP site a bit easier and insist on community involvement and probably make selling it (with lots of affordable housing) more difficult. Here are their conditions:

• Undergoing a substantive environmental review and approval process including an analysis of impacts on the environment (eg, environmentally sensitive areas, species and habitat, etc) and a description of mitigation measures;
  • Undergoing a federal climate lens including assessment of greenhouse gas emissions and how the proponent will drive down emissions (eg low carbon construction material, use of best construction practices, reducing emissions from operations, etc) and be resilient to the impacts of climate change;
  • Conditions to building affordable housing near transit oriented development as is feasible, in line with City of Toronto objectives, and report publicly on them;
  • Incorporate barrier-free design elements for persons with disabilities;
  • Engagement processes that enable early community involvement inclusive of local communities and diverse voices and stakeholders, and opportunities to access decision-makers and influence decisions;
  • Inclusive community consultation processes that address neighbourhood and community improvements;
  • Measures to maximize high quality jobs and benefits for communities including through mechanisms such as Community Benefit Agreements with hiring targets of at least 10% for historically disadvantaged communities, equity-seeking groups, Black, Indigenous and people of colour, with possible higher targets based on an assessment of local representation;
  • Ensuring contractors have in place an anti-racism strategy;
  • Mitigating the negative impacts of project construction and operations and report on these measures (eg noise mitigation for communities)

The Feds also describe the projects as “shovel ready” though:

I doubt there’s going to be much appetite for allowing local neighbourhood groups to use these funding conditions as leverage for their demands.

Back