Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

Without reading any of the previous posts for background information, I'm just going to assume that these lots represent some new Ford administration initiative to buy up land and protect the continued existence of surface parking lots in the downtown core. Why should drivers be forced to park their cars underground like second-class citizens?

Sorry its off-topic...but is there a thread for the data centre? I can't seem to find anything and would love to see some renderings of the new building...

Without reading any of the previous posts for background information, I'm just going to assume that these lots represent some new Ford administration initiative to buy up land and protect the continued existence of surface parking lots in the downtown core. Why should drivers be forced to park their cars underground like second-class citizens?

I'm not a fan of Rob Ford either, but seriously?

Why on Earth would they construct an underground parking garage here when they have yet to decide, you know, what is actually going to go here...

Most local residents (myself included) do not.

I agree with chriskayTO. The TPA lot forms part of the First Parliament Site. It's truly worthy of a national histroric site designation, and some day, in the not too distant future (hopefully), will become a public square. Buses should not be traversing the property. Pedestrians and bicycles yes. Buses/cars - no way!

As some UTers may have noticed, the First Parliament Interpretative Centre closed its doors (with no notice) last December. Then a few weeks ago there was signage saying that the Infiniti dealer was moving into the building. I wrote to Glen Murray's office and got the following VERY disappointing response. If you want to complain his email is gmurray.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

Here is the message I got from his office:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was waiting to hear back from the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport with regards to your questions. Below is their response. Please let me know if you would like any other information.

The Ontario Heritage Trust owns 265 Front Street East and is committed to the long-term protection, interpretation and preservation of the entire block as the site of Ontario’s First Parliament buildings.

The current lease is an interim measure while plans for the long-term revitalization, commemoration and enhancement of the Parliament block are in discussion.

Revenues from the lease will make it possible for the Trust to fund an outdoor public interpretation program at the site, to offer an online exhibit and to continue programming activities that share its important history.

The Trust is working with the City and looks forward to exciting opportunities for collaboration on both exterior interpretation at the site and longer-term plans for the revitalization of the block.
In the long-term, the Trust is dedicated to ensuring that the site is suitably commemorated and interpreted, in line with its historic significance, as a publicly accessible world-class landmark destination.

The OHT operated the Parliament interpretive centre featuring the exhibit Foundations and Fire during the commemoration of the War of 1812 (February 17, 2012 to December 31, 2014). They have entered into a 4-year non-renewable lease with Downtown Automotive Group for the use of the entire building.

YES, FOUR years!

as some uters may have noticed, the first parliament interpretative centre closed its doors (with no notice) last december. Then a few weeks ago there was signage saying that the infiniti dealer was moving into the building. I wrote to glen murray's office and got the following very disappointing response. If you want to complain his email is gmurray.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

here is the message i got from his office:

sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was waiting to hear back from the ministry of tourism, culture and sport with regards to your questions. Below is their response. Please let me know if you would like any other information.

The ontario heritage trust owns 265 front street east and is committed to the long-term protection, interpretation and preservation of the entire block as the site of ontario’s first parliament buildings.

The current lease is an interim measure while plans for the long-term revitalization, commemoration and enhancement of the parliament block are in discussion.

Revenues from the lease will make it possible for the trust to fund an outdoor public interpretation program at the site, to offer an online exhibit and to continue programming activities that share its important history.

The trust is working with the city and looks forward to exciting opportunities for collaboration on both exterior interpretation at the site and longer-term plans for the revitalization of the block.
In the long-term, the trust is dedicated to ensuring that the site is suitably commemorated and interpreted, in line with its historic significance, as a publicly accessible world-class landmark destination.

The oht operated the parliament interpretive centre featuring the exhibit foundations and fire during the commemoration of the war of 1812 (february 17, 2012 to december 31, 2014). They have entered into a 4-year non-renewable lease with downtown automotive group for the use of the entire building.

yes, four years!

ffs! Email sent, not that it will make much difference now...

The OHT operated the Parliament interpretive centre featuring the exhibit Foundations and Fire during the commemoration of the War of 1812 (February 17, 2012 to December 31, 2014). They have entered into a 4-year non-renewable lease with Downtown Automotive Group for the use of the entire building.[/I]

YES, FOUR years!

Ugh, four years. What a disappointment. I started hearing about development of this site shortly after I moved into the area in 2003. Yet here we are over a decade later and all we've had to show is two years of an ugly half-arsed interim solution and now another four years of car dealership. Examples like this make it easy to become very cynical about local government.

Ugh, four years. What a disappointment. I started hearing about development of this site shortly after I moved into the area in 2003. Yet here we are over a decade later and all we've had to show is two years of an ugly half-arsed interim solution and now another four years of car dealership. Examples like this make it easy to become very cynical about local government.
It is particularly odd (to be kind) because the City had established a Working Group with Pam McConnell, City Staff, the OHT, the Public Library Board and local residents. We held 3 meetings and City and library staff are now doing test bores etc (as we cannot build on some parts due to archaeological remains and/or pollution.) The OHT folk NEVER said anything about this leasing idea. Some info on the site at:

http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/First Parliament Branch-District Branch Spaces.pdf

and

http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/first_parliament_site_history.pdf

Back