Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

Well, it's a start. The site still deserves much more, something eye catching and permanent.. a new landmark in the city like Campbell house! (Just an example)

I still prefer the idea of a public plaza with monument, and if an interpretive centre were on site it would be a bonus. Otherwise, any collection that would be here could simply be in a museum of Toronto wherever it is eventually established.

The Parliament site is more important in its symbolism than anything else and so a monument seems fitting to me, and not to mention the fact that a public plaza here would form a nice bookend to the St. Lawrence Market development to the west and would contribute a potentially very popular public space where Old Town joins newer developments to the east. It would actually likely even stimulate more development in the area, which seems to be what the city is so single-mindedly obsessed with.

Some thoughts on what this plaza could look like:

- A monumental statue with fountains similar to Riopelle's La Joute in Montreal in the sense that it involves mist, movement and lighting at night etc to truly engage the viewer.

- a recovering/excavation of foundations where possible as part of the above more symbolic display, combined with 'ghosted' structures or images to further evoke the original structures.

- Interpretive plaques to be followed in a sequence that interact with the monument/fountains and excavations etc so as to provide more factual information and data.

- A large open space in which to feature the moment but also with minimalist/formal plantings, tress and benches and so on allowing people in the neighbourhood to congregate and be more passive in their enjoyment of the space.

- Evocative lighting at night to add more liveliness to the area after dark.

These are just some thoughts but this Parliament Site should be viewed as an important part of the development of Old Town, linking the Distillery with the St. Lawrence area to the west and creating a larger and more continuous heritage zone.

In the link which dates from 2002 there are some very interesting ideas/approaches discussed: http://www.toronto.ca/heritage-preservation/pdf/first_parliament_site_presentation.pdf Clearly, somebody had the right idea at some point. Not sure what happened

Last edited:
Tweder: Take a look at the scheme proposed by Rollo Myers that would use the whole site for 'public spaces" of one sort or another. Chris Hume wrote about it a few months ago at: http://www.toronto.com/article/676983--hume-site-of-first-parliament-a-development-in-debate

If (when?) the whole site is in public ownership (again) this is certainly one way to combine heritage commemoration, open spaces, a new library etc. It is NOT a plan that has been finalised but is certainly something that appears to be feasible and suitable and if a land-swap occurs the currently proposed site for the new library (SE Corner of Front and Parliament) will be swapped and a new library site will be required.

Tweder: Take a look at the scheme proposed by Rollo Myers that would use the whole site for 'public spaces" of one sort or another. Chris Hume wrote about it a few months ago at: http://www.toronto.com/article/676983--hume-site-of-first-parliament-a-development-in-debate

If (when?) the whole site is in public ownership (again) this is certainly one way to combine heritage commemoration, open spaces, a new library etc. It is NOT a plan that has been finalised but is certainly something that appears to be feasible and suitable and if a land-swap occurs the currently proposed site for the new library (SE Corner of Front and Parliament) will be swapped and a new library site will be required.

It lacks a monumental focal point. It needs some kind of large sculpture or fountain. It also would need to animate Front Street, so we'd need to see how the other side is handled.

My own choice (if the money could be found) would be to rebuild the buildings on their original foundations, and use them as a museum of Toronto.

^ I agree.

On a slightly related note, I re-read the plaque for the First Parliament Site and at the bottom is says that after the rebuilt Parliament Buildings burnt down, they were rebuilt on Front Street west of Simcoe. Anyone have more information on this? I just remember that area being railroad tracks, then parking lots, and then what is there now, Simcoe Place and CBC Headquarters on the north side, MTCC on the south side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Ontario_Parliament_Buildings

My own choice (if the money could be found) would be to rebuild the buildings on their original foundations, and use them as a museum of Toronto.

Given the scarcity of information as to their overall form and appearance, I reckon it'd be either impractical, or too contrivedly "Colonial Williamsburg" a solution.

I read an article about this somewhere. The story of the portrait of Queen Victoria is fun. It was one of the few artefacts to survive the fire of the Montreal Parliament and was moved twice to survive fires in two other locations, including the famous fire at its final (and present) location at the Parliament buildings in Ottawa!

Good for Montreal doing this. It sort of contrasts the difference between Montreal and Toronto in terms of the priorities/philosophy that guide urban development.

from blacktowertv's twitter feed today.....

271.jpg

Ignoring the August post date and the bump by the spammer, you've misunderstood my sarcasm.

Ok good thanks. My apologies. I'm glad to hear it was sarcasm - there are many who would have said that in all seriousness on this forum.

Back