Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Looks like FCP will take away all the attention from new construction going on in the city for a little while! I'm more excited about this than anything else.

Rrrrrrrrreally? Tuscani - should we pare down P&C to just this thread?!

I can't imagine this will be all that big a deal for the public at large.

Rrrrrrrrreally? Tuscani - should we pare down P&C to just this thread?!

I can't imagine this will be all that big a deal for the public at large.

I think thats a great idea! This should be the only thread around.

PS. Im sure none of the projects on this forum are of any interest to the public at large. For us on the forum though, it seems like this is the most anticipated project.

Well, I am looking forward to it too, but 'most anticipated'? Doesn't strike me that way.

Higher on my list would include Aga Khan/Ismaili Ctr, Ãce, Theatre Park, Aura, Giraffe, Cumberland Terrace replacement, GG's 1 Bloor East replacement, Canada Square at Harbourfront, Union Station redux, Nathan Philips Square redux, L Tower...

and existing projects like the Bell Lightbox, Four Seasons, Ritz, Trump, Shangri-La, Absolute World, all of which might be contemporaneous with the First Cdn Place recladding if it gets underway quickly, and all of which are more tantalizing for me.

Well, I am looking forward to it too, but 'most anticipated'? Doesn't strike me that way.

Higher on my list would include Aga Khan/Ismaili Ctr, Ãce, Theatre Park, Aura, Giraffe, Cumberland Terrace replacement, GG's 1 Bloor East replacement, Canada Square at Harbourfront, Union Station redux, Nathan Philips Square redux, L Tower...

and existing projects like the Bell Lightbox, Four Seasons, Ritz, Trump, Shangri-La, Absolute World, all of which might be contemporaneous with the First Cdn Place recladding if it gets underway quickly, and all of which are more tantalizing for me.

Just look at how many times FCP's recladding has been brought up in the past, even in threads that had nothing to do with FCP. Sure there are many new projects which many people are waiting for, but none of those projects can compare to this. We are seeing Toronto's tallest building going through recladding, something rarely witnessed here.

We are seeing Toronto's tallest building going through recladding, something rarely witnessed here.

True...

but big deal! I'm still more interested in how sensitively the last two towers will be inserted into the Distillery, or how Fernbrook/Cityzen/Castlepoint will resolve the parking problem for L Tower and how 5-7 The Esplanade will end up looking, (and how it will mesh with the bulletnose immediately east of it) and how soon they'll be able to get that worked out... and heck, even how Market Wharf will look with its alternating, undulating balconies... all of which hold more of my imagination in thrall than does this recladding.

Still, bring it on!

If anything, people will probably be relieved at no longer having to worry about a hunk of marble drop on their head.

As for the recladding, I'm sure there will be complaints. This thread will have a long life.

I'd like to see strips of LED's running up the corners of the building, something akin to RBC. Nothing as "showy" as the CN tower but something subtle. I think a little more colour on our skyline is a good thing so long as it's not overdone. The antennas are another area that need to be addressed, hopefully.

BMO would have to find $500K~$2mil in this re-cladding budget to add some effecting outline lighting, depending on the desired type (simple outlines like Blue Cross off 427, bolder reflected linear like Dexia, or an addressable system for animation.

The installation would cost more than the product.

With the CN Tower done and now the RBC Dexia - if any one of the other big tower were to do a light feature with LEDs it would basically be a challenge to the remainder to do the same and really change the night time skyline (as if BMO wouldn't be enough, after the Tower+Dexia).

I don't think you will need to worry. Glass used on residential projects is different than the glass used on commercial projects. We will see something of better quality, no doubt.

Looks like FCP will take away all the attention from new construction going on in the city for a little while! Im more excited about this than anything else.
+1 me too. It would also be cool if FCP got some LED treatment...

I don't think this is the MOST exciting project, but I am definitely excited about it. It has the potential to completely change Toronto's skyline, since it's the tallest building in Canada. Your Toronto postcards? Throw them out because they'll be outdated. That's what I'm looking forward to :)

The reskinning of Aon in Chicago wasn't exactly an "event"...
I agree. Unless this re-cladding is some sort of complete change in appearance, it's not that big a deal. It would be a much more rare and unique thing to change the actual look, on not simply refresh the existing look.

Aon wasn't the tallest building in the city or country. There is certainly significant discussion on the potential recladding of the Sears/Willis Tower.

I'm much less excited now that it is clear that the existing windows won't be replaced. I think that lighter / more reflective glass would do wonders for the building.

Back