Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

I agree the podium really is a disgrace to the entire street. It looks too outdated and POMO 1970's for my liking. Hopefully its demolition's soon to come.

Actually, there's absolutely nothing PoMo about the podium, save perhaps for the choice of materials. The interior has some PoMo touches that were surely added sometime after it was built. Outdated is no reason to demolish a building; why keep Victorian buildings around if by 40 they're a "disgrace"?

I noticed something today on the cladding which may, or may not be cause for concern - heavy frosting (pic of west side taken at noon):

If it's so easily prone to frosting, I'm wondering if it will also be prone to forming ice?

Was it cold enough at noon in Toronto to be frost? Maybe it's just condensation. Moisture depositing on a cool surface. Worse case is the inner layers of glass are fogging up due to bad seals, but a blown seal may be expected on a few panels but not possible for so many and all in the same area. I'm going with condensation.

Actually, there's absolutely nothing PoMo about the podium, save perhaps for the choice of materials. The interior has some PoMo touches that were surely added sometime after it was built. Outdated is no reason to demolish a building; why keep Victorian buildings around if by 40 they're a "disgrace"?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The podium in my eyes, is ugly. It doesn't fit with the street, it's too bulky, boxy (looks almost brutalist in nature), and plain unattractive. It's located at one of the most important intersections in the city, and it's under two stories. I see no reason in keeping it at all. Victorian architecture however is what Toronto was basically built on. There's a difference between outdated buildings and architecturally significant ones. I don't view Vic architecture on the same level as this abysmal podium we've got here.

Like come on.. wouldn't you rather see a nice 60-70s building sitting on this lot instead? It's a no brainer.

And to think the Toronto Star building would be still standing had it not been for this POS.

Last edited:
I noticed something today on the cladding which may, or may not be cause for concern - heavy frosting (pic of west side taken at noon):

5171211406_d86e37d4df_b.jpg

If it's so easily prone to frosting, I'm wondering if it will also be prone to forming ice?

that's definitely just all the moisture that has been in the air lately.

And to think the Toronto Star building would be still standing had it not been for this POS.

I'm no fan of the BMO podium at King and Bay either, however the Star building was more mid-block, where FCP stands now... The podium replaced the old Bank of Montreal building. That is the true travesty here. There was no physical reason to remove it. As it stands now, FCP could have fit nicely with plenty of light space between the old and the new. The only reason it is gone is because it was considered old and it interfered with their "Tower in a Park" design that was reaching it's pinnacle of popularity by the mid-70's.

As you can see from this picture in 1975 when the old bank building was being demolished and almost gone, there was plenty of room for the old building physically, but just not in the minds of the planners. Originally it stood 15 floors or more...I'm not sure exactly. Someone will remember and fill us in.

5172223208_54f1b2f8e5_b.jpg

(Screen capture from the Redefining First website: http://www.redefiningfirst.com/Overview/History.aspx )

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The podium in my eyes, is ugly. It doesn't fit with the street, it's too bulky, boxy (looks almost brutalist in nature), and plain unattractive. It's located at one of the most important intersections in the city, and it's under two stories. I see no reason in keeping it at all. Victorian architecture however is what Toronto was basically built on. There's a difference between outdated buildings and architecturally significant ones. I don't view Vic architecture on the same level as this abysmal podium we've got here.

Like come on.. wouldn't you rather see a nice 60-70s building sitting on this lot instead? It's a no brainer.

"important intersection" is truly hilarious.

Is the office space in this podium columnless? A lot of investment firms wanted big open columnless spaces in the 70's and 80's so they could shout important things to someone across the room and see everyone at once. That kind of setup is difficult to work into a tower. I believe BCE place has a similar setup in the podium at the corner of Bay and Wellington. It's not as necessary for them to have it now that they all use email and IMs to talk to each other.

Last edited:
I see the new cladding as in the above shot and I can't help but think it doesn't look real. It's like an Animé or cartoon version of the First Canadian Place.... But in a good way.

nice pic CML,
It really shows off the old chevron design on the corners. I've never thought of them that way.

But, I think our new 50 storey cartoon is going to look good too.

"important intersection" is truly hilarious.

Is the office space in this podium columnless? A lot of investment firms wanted big open columnless spaces in the 70's and 80's so they could shout important things to someone across the room and see everyone at once. That kind of setup is difficult to work into a tower. I believe BCE place has a similar setup in the podium at the corner of Bay and Wellington. It's not as necessary for them to have it now that they all use email and IMs to talk to each other.

Why does it matter if it's "column-less" or not... The point is it's a waste of prime real estate!

I'm no fan of the BMO podium at King and Bay either, however the Star building was more mid-block, where FCP stands now... The podium replaced the old Bank of Montreal building. That is the true travesty here. There was no physical reason to remove it. As it stands now, FCP could have fit nicely with plenty of light space between the old and the new. The only reason it is gone is because it was considered old and it interfered with their "Tower in a Park" design that was reaching it's pinnacle of popularity by the mid-70's.

As you can see from this picture in 1975 when the old bank building was being demolished and almost gone, there was plenty of room for the old building physically, but just not in the minds of the planners. Originally it stood 15 floors or more...I'm not sure exactly. Someone will remember and fill us in.

5172223208_54f1b2f8e5_b.jpg

(Screen capture from the Redefining First website: http://www.redefiningfirst.com/Overview/History.aspx )

Amazing... what a shame. Almost looks as if they were trying to preserve the facade there.

Last edited:
Well, they did preserve the reliefs; they're at Guild Inn.

As for the podium at the corner: it *is* clumsy, and one of those things that gave Ed Stone a reputation for urbanistic boners; so if they're up to a tower reclad, they might as well be up to a podium rebuild/remake as well. However...

Actually, given the context, "a nice 60-70s building" might turn out no less clumsy than the existing podium, unless you get a Piano or a Hadid to do it with a little excusable boldness...

Oct 1 2010 update

photos that I never got around to posting previously ~

IMG_5058.jpg

FCP definitely not white in late afternoon light! They may need giant halogen spots on this to counteract in the future to keep the building white at all times!

FCPYellowP1190795.jpg

FCPYellowP1190794.jpg

Back