Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Well in that case I'd say change the window glass, because the granite itself is a neutral gray. For better or worse, BCE/Brookfield Place was one of the green glass pioneers though, and I actually like the execution as it's quite unique (as far as the financial core goes; cheap imitators be damned).

I think the SSP diagrams/database is a bit misleading... the diagram section ranks us #2 for highrises but it's only counts buildings that are drawn AND it includes the suburbs. and the database section is the same too.

You guys have to remember they didn't just re-clad FCP for the looks. it was for safety reasons as well (falling marble). so don't hope that "lets have *blank* building re-clad" will happen... depending on the building it will cost a lot of money.

Surprisingly, Scotia Plaza and the Toronto Dominion Centres don't even look like they age! :D

From yesterday. With daylight savings time, my lunch hour coincides with good afternoon sun.

5163654211_d589d66137_b.jpg

Last edited:
Surprisingly, Scotia Plaza and the Toronto Dominion Centres don't even look like they age! :D

Scotia Plaza I def agree with. But if you have been up in TD during Doors Open, you would definitely notice a lot of wear on Royal Trust Tower and one could rightly assume that TD itself is in the same condition. Let me see if I can find a picture and post it...

edit: guess this isnt so bad as I had remembered. Just the venting on the mechanical level looks like it could use some fresh paint:

5164011997_78c5734498_b.jpg

Last edited:
The south east part of FCP's lobby (excluding the BMO Branch) has been drywalled off as of this morning.
Looks like major work ready to commence on the interior. :)

It's amazing to think that they could have just as easily re-clad it a completely different colour and changed the skyline dramatically.

I don't suppose they could be convinced to instal some new and attractive communication masts atop their newly-dressed tower?

An identical tower would look pretty incredible. However, I don't know if we could get away with a set of Twin Towers without being in poor taste.

An identical tower would look pretty incredible. However, I don't know if we could get away with a set of Twin Towers without being in poor taste.

I'm sorry, I'm not one to deny the tragedy of what happened.. but it has been a decade almost, and the concept of twin towers can't be considered "poor taste" forever..
I know they would be in certain groups in America, if not all of America itself, but we still build 757s after 9/11..

A hazy day in The Big Smoke

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back