Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

The penthouse is the Freeman? Nice! He can come narrate future Festivals.

"I must admit I didn't think much of the Bell Lightbox the first time I laid eyes on it, looked like a stiff breeze would blow it over..."

The penthouse is the Freeman? Nice! He can come narrate future Festivals.

"I must admit I didn't think much of the Bell Lightbox the first time I laid eyes on it, looked like a stiff breeze would blow it over..."

Wow I totally imagined him saying it.. it worked!

Screenshots from the Animation of Festival Tower by Spine3D :)

Here are a few screenshots from the animation we made of Festival Tower. For the whole video, click here. Its in the second row, first column.

_Festival_07.jpg

Festival_02.jpg

Festival_03.jpg

Festival_05.jpg

Festival_06.jpg

When the base or podium is large enough to be a standalone building, you know you got it right. Down with wimpy podiums.

Its funny but I just walked past the site today and looked at a rendering plastered on the hording: the front facade of the podium no longer has faux limestone (precast) vertical bands. They appear to have been replaced with glass and the above rendering indicates same. I am not sure I like the alteration.

On the plus side, the rendering on the hording indicated a higher quality of mixed glass than the above rendering suggests.

After all these years I never even noticed the sweeping staircase on the roof of the podium. I love it! That could become something of a Toronto icon, kind of like the rooftop sculpture garden at the Met in New York*.

*I promise not to make any more NYC analogies

After all these years I never even noticed the sweeping staircase on the roof of the podium. I love it! That could become something of a Toronto icon, kind of like the rooftop sculpture garden at the Met in New York*.

*I promise not to make any more NYC analogies

The lines on the streets look NY-ish also

When the base or podium is large enough to be a standalone building, you know you got it right. Down with wimpy podiums.

I couldn't agree more. The podium here almost upstages the condo tower. I wish there was a little more height, perhaps 5-7 floors.

Given the diverse programmatic requirements and aspirations of the Film Festival Group the wonder would be if the podium building wasn't that large.

It's amazing just how slow this thing is moving along. I believe they started digging long before RBC just down the street. Now RBC is soaring up in the sky and this thing has barely hit ground-level at some points.

^RBC started digging around Sept/Oct '06, this started April '07, and is a bigger site and deeper hole. I think it has moved at a decent pace.

While the rendering is beautiful and is, of course, meant to show off the building being constructed, I always love how the streetscapes are altered so that they in no way resemble the actual environs and make the context of the street fit the bldg and not the other way around. I'm thinking specifically of the first shot across an empty space (that doesn't exist, so the perspective means nothing) to the NW corner of King/John and the bldgs that line the west side of John, south of King. They look all sleek instead of a 2nd Cup, Subway and Aroma restaurant. There's even a hint of historical architecture and extension of bldgs that don't even exist, the sidewalks are double width, and a whole new imaginary building is situated behind the Lightbox. Personally I can't wait for the day when developers have to be honest in the pictures they present and what you see, is really what you get.

Back