Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I hear that College and Bay is the new Yorkville. ;)

Heavens what are you smoking? College and Bay is a hospital area and nothing like Yorkville at all. The two areas couldn't be more opposite. Not saying it's a bad area but there is no comparison.

Alklay is yust yolking: there is interminable talk in some of these King West threads that that area is going to be the new Yorkville, so he's turning the screws up to that fine line between pain and pleasure, for a larff.

When I first saw the renderings, what struck me most about the podium building was how it suggested geological strata - tonal, textural and material variations, recesses, areas of transparency contrasted with unadorned walls, the play of horizontals, verticals and diagonals breaking up the mass in interesting ways - all hinting at the variety of spaces within and their multiple uses. It's quite the tour de force, and now a reality.

Is it possible that something else is go on the top of this? It really looks like some kind of insulation or something. Otherwise, yeah. It looks really bad.

The effect is interesting but the material reminds me of cheap siding found on cookie-cutter housing. The contrast with the otherwise good looking dark glass is jarring.

I actually love the pillowing... sort of a smokey version of AGO titanium... and a "jarring" suprise in the tossed salad of materials used... actually looks quilted. Why not?

Sure hope it isn't sound insulation for the theatres which I assume it's not given the familar (as rendered) pattern created.

Last edited:
I've been thinking that with the Festival tower condo portion more than half up I'm visualizing that it's going to look somewhat underwhelming with all of what is happening below. I guess I'm saying that it's unfortunate that there wasn't perhaps five more floors for the condo portion to look really prominent on top of the Bell Lightbox. Perhaps I'm wrong, we'll see in time.

From Spadina & College, Festival tower is in the centre of the photo -

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Is it possible that something else is go on the top of this? It really looks like some kind of insulation or something. Otherwise, yeah. It looks really bad.

It's zinc. It is the same as the zinc cladding which fronts on King. It is final.

When I first saw the renderings, what struck me most about the podium building was how it suggested geological strata - tonal, textural and material variations, recesses, areas of transparency contrasted with unadorned walls, the play of horizontals, verticals and diagonals breaking up the mass in interesting ways - all hinting at the variety of spaces within and their multiple uses. It's quite the tour de force, and now a reality.

Meh...

^^^finally, a rational and informed voice is heard... and I agree, it seems somebody must have stacked something heavy on top of those panels while they were waiting to be installed.

Last edited:
Hollywood Blockbuster!!!

4083024917_847af16465_b.jpg

by me.

What?

How the hell does this building look dated already when it's still under construction? And I might add, looking groovy to boot so far. I think in particular that the podium, especially along King looks fantastic.

^Yeah, it looks like it's from the FUTURE.... **spooky music**

It almost looks like a spaceship. Definitely something very unToronto for once.

How the hell does this building look dated already when it's still under construction? And I might add, looking groovy to boot so far. I think in particular that the podium, especially along King looks fantastic.

Stylistically he's right. It doesn't matter whether the building is done or not - Florence's 'new' court building has been under construction since the mid 1990s, and was designed well before that.

Back