Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

They weren't spectacular. KPF and KPMB were the best by far. Don't despair--we are getting a top-notch structure here, and if the KPMB work at the Gardiner/Conservatory/NBS is any indication it will be pulled off beauifully.

Here is the KPF proposal:

KPFTIFF.jpg

AoD

wow...we lost out big-time. i guess TIFF only picks the best movies, not the best spaces to showcase them...how f*cking sad!

^^
Really? I was just wondering how KPF even came up with something so ugly.

Thanks AoD for posting that. (I realise that following the above statement this may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not.)

wow...we lost out big-time. i guess TIFF only picks the best movies, not the best spaces to showcase them...how f*cking sad!

I like the tower better, but it's really hard to say if the actual base is better.

I like the design of the base/Lightbox. This would've been the perfect project for a landmark tower though. It's too bad they decided to go with something so mundane.

There's nothing at all special about that version. All it appears to be is a cylindar with a rectangle stuck on the side and a whole lot of reflecting, shimmering and shiny glass. Quite boring actually. As for the base, it leaves more to the imagination than not. On the other hand while I do love Lightbox, the tower portion doesn't appear to live up to the precedence set by the base.

Again, the "mighty wide traffic arteries". That render makes King + John look like more of a Queen & Spadina scale (and the spectral older buildings on the left look rather "wished away")

I've always loved the look of the podium - er, Lightbox - layered horizontally like a geological cross section, with differing textures, and colours, and tones, like faults in rock formations, and the sculptural and visual delight of something that isn't repeated anywhere else in the city.

So $300,000+ for a 487 sq. ft. apartment? Wow. Totally insane. That works out to somewhere between $620-750 per sq. foot going by that figure.

But you get the privilege of cutting to the front of the line on TIFF stuff for three years. Services like dog walking? I'd hate to see the condo fees!

Amazing. I'm hearing some people saying that the TIFFG is too excited about whatever that new name for their Festival Centre that it might distract them from hosting a great Film Festival (I'm starting to get sick of the Lightbox ads, and I've only seen 5 screenings, though the Caddy and NBC-Universal ads don't bug me at all). I'm not quite that worried, but those concerns don't sound that far-fetched.

Back