Toronto Enwave Pearl Street Energy Centre Expansion | ?m | 3s | Enwave | HJA

Let's hope the new building looks a bit better than the current one which has looked SOOO shabby for decades. Let's hope they spend some of the $$ on a decent architect! From the rendering it actually looks as though the new building is an addition at east side of the current one. If it is to remain, I hope they take the opportunity to fix the outside of the current building up a bit.

Anyone any idea if they have plans to further extend their underground network - or even to point to a map of where it actually reaches now?

Looking at the background image behind the speaker, I think @DSC will probably be disappointed by the envisioned look of the existing building (can't say the new one does it for me either)

1683666818562.png

Press release is here: https://www.enwave.com/resources/en...ng-facility-to-supply-‘green-heat-to-toronto/

Getting a network map proved to be more challenging; but I like a challenge:

1683667415373.png

Source:

Last edited:
Looking at the background image behind the speaker, I think @DSC will probably be disappointed by the envisioned look of the existing building (can't say the new one does it for me either)

View attachment 475814
Crying.jpg

Yes I saw the rendering - at least they need to 'tidy up' the current building - it really looks 3rd world. (And I agree the addition is not too exciting either!)

What’s Going On with the Enwave Upgrade?

The Enwave Pearl Street Plant upgrade is supposed to boost Toronto's energy system with "advanced technologies." But there’s been a troubling lack of transparency about what's being installed and how it might impact the environment and health of nearby residents.
  • Secrecy: We still don’t know the exact costs, technologies, or environmental impacts. This lack of information is alarming.
  • Bad Location: Placing a large natural gas power plant in a densely populated area is questionable. The lack of pushback might be due to the downtown area's unique demographic and provincial control over municipal decisions.
  • Health and Environment: Without thorough assessments and public disclosure, we can't be sure about the plant's impact on our health and environment. The use of natural gas, a fossil fuel, is particularly concerning.
Enwave needs to be transparent. They should:
  • Share Details: Provide clear information about costs, technologies, and environmental impacts.
  • Engage with Us: Meaningfully engage with the community and stakeholders to address our concerns.
This project is another example of how Toronto often allows large-scale corporate and civic actions without enough public scrutiny. Transparency and community engagement are crucial to ensuring that such projects benefit everyone without compromising our health and environment.

What’s Going On with the Enwave Upgrade?

The Enwave Pearl Street Plant upgrade is supposed to boost Toronto's energy system with "advanced technologies." But there’s been a troubling lack of transparency about what's being installed and how it might impact the environment and health of nearby residents.
  • Secrecy: We still don’t know the exact costs, technologies, or environmental impacts. This lack of information is alarming.
  • Bad Location: Placing a large natural gas power plant in a densely populated area is questionable. The lack of pushback might be due to the downtown area's unique demographic and provincial control over municipal decisions.
  • Health and Environment: Without thorough assessments and public disclosure, we can't be sure about the plant's impact on our health and environment. The use of natural gas, a fossil fuel, is particularly concerning.
Enwave needs to be transparent. They should:
  • Share Details: Provide clear information about costs, technologies, and environmental impacts.
  • Engage with Us: Meaningfully engage with the community and stakeholders to address our concerns.
This project is another example of how Toronto often allows large-scale corporate and civic actions without enough public scrutiny. Transparency and community engagement are crucial to ensuring that such projects benefit everyone without compromising our health and environment.
I do not think the Pearl Street building can possibly be described as "natural gas power plant' - Enwave uses Lake Ontario water in a system that could probably be described as a huge heat pump. I do not think they heat any water but do recover hot water from the buildings they serve. SEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enwave#:~:text=Cold lake water is pumped,mixture to the lake water. The Pearl street building " is described as:
"Enwave’s ‘Green Heat’ offering will be made possible by the installation of new assets that recycle district waste heat to produce hot water via electrification using dual-use heat pumps, electric feeds, and generators. This technology is optimized due to the scale and magnitude of buildings connected to Enwave’s heating and cooling district.

“The addition of a low carbon heating facility to our Pearl Street Energy Centre is a significant milestone for us and Toronto’s district energy grid, because it allows us to provide decarbonization at scale,” says Carlyle Coutinho, CEO of Enwave Energy Corporation. “As leaders in the energy transition, we are always looking at innovative ways to expand our positive impact and serve even more of Ontario’s residents, institutions, and businesses. Adding this state-of the-art heat pump facility to provide ‘Green Heat’ demonstrates our commitment to this city and province, the development community, and our stakeholders.” SEE: https://www.enwave.com/resources/en...ng-facility-to-supply-‘green-heat-to-toronto/

I agree that there are large projects which are approved by the City without enough scrutiny but do not think this one is among them.

Back