Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Aug 27
6088858187_edca7047aa_b.jpg

6089401482_3330715342_b.jpg

6089400292_8db58df540_b.jpg

6089399106_39943a7964_b.jpg

Just speculation, the western edge also includes an underground pedestrian crossing under Beecroft Road to the Lansing United Church / community centre. So they'll have to dig up city property as well. Remember this project is tied to the rebuilding of Lansing United Church / community centre.

Anyone here still think Bazis (and whoever their new developer partners are) will be able to deliver on time?

matted was right. I went by the site today and noticed there are no steel beams in the ground on the Western portion of the site. They are on site, but there is no drill rig to be found. sunny's comments regarding the underground pedestrian crossing make it all very clear as to why nothing is happening on the Western portion. I would think the project will be delayed because of this. The drill rig was probably moved to another site in the meantime until they get the proper permits?

matted was right. I went by the site today and noticed there are no steel beams in the ground on the Western portion of the site. They are on site, but there is no drill rig to be found. sunny's comments regarding the underground pedestrian crossing make it all very clear as to why nothing is happening on the Western portion. I would think the project will be delayed because of this. The drill rig was probably moved to another site in the meantime until they get the proper permits?

could they have already drilled the holes but covered it up with those ply wood?

and why would the city take so long?

The city is taking so long because the planning department is overwhelmed with work. There are only a (relatively) few people involved with issuing permits, and the number of building projects has exploded. The department workers simply cannot keep up, and are falling further and further behind. (Keep in mind that Toronto is by far the most active urban construction site in North America.) It's the same reason for the delays at One Bloor, I believe.

Last edited:
You also have to keep in mind that this is one of the most complex building application the city have seen. It's not simply two standard condos going up. There's the odd curvature leaning top, the transfer of density from Lansing United Church / community centre, its underground pedestrian walkway, the rebuild of Lansing United Church / community centre itself.

In addition, Bazis started marketing and selling units way before they had any formal approval from the city on what was to be built. The city is really just taking their normal time frame with the permits.

Bazis and their other developer partners seem to have jumped the gun on starting their construction,... or at least the image of construction to give the appearance they're keeping up with the Tridel Hullmark Centre site on the other side of Yonge Street.

Needless to say,... Micheal Gold won't be able to finish Emerald Park within 30 months of the ground breaking ceremony. The only real question now, is how far behind will they end up being,.... and will they loose any of their anchor retail tenants when they can't deliver on time.

I still dont understand sunny, whats your beef with Bazis:confused:

I'm just stating it like it is.

Automation Gallery,... If you can explain why on the other side of Yonge Street, the Tridel Hullmark Centre's shoring and now construction have been humming along smoothly since they started with the demolition about this time last year, Tridel Hullmarks Centre looks like it will be delivered on time,.... but yet, the Emerald Park site have been suffered nothing but false starts, off and on work schedule with just a fraction of the employees working onsite vs the Tridel Hullmark Centre site, incomplete shoring and stalled project due to lack of proper permits,.... then please enlighten us.

well. The current site manager told me once that they plan to finish digging by the end of December. So we'll beable to gauage their so-called "lateness" by measuring the number of months that they spend digging past December this year.

does anyone know where i can find any sort of documentation on this community centre/tunnel things?

Its not always the developer that is the issue. The city and councillors can all throw wrenches into a plan. I am sure that the site will be moving soon and when they have rhythym you'll see the "humming" like across the road. The Hullmark Centre was a very long excavation as well with lots of start and stop. In sites like these by the subway you cannot just keep digging a hole. It has to be coordinated with the shoring contractor so its not as simple as it sounds.

As some of you expected, the drill rig is back! It is positioned now on the north-west side.

Not bad for a cell phone shot at all. quite clear in fact. All these projects at yonge/sheppard are really exciting. Looks like Mel Lastman's vision of a "downtown north york" is finally shaping up. Now all we need is for all the North York development projects to shift south of the 401 (kind of like the Financial district has crossed the rail lines in recent years) My ultimate dream is a non stop yonge street canyon from Eglinton to Finch....its a long way off but one day...

Last edited by a moderator:
can you imagine the traffic then?

it's good news that they're finally carrying out the Beecroft extention to Finch. what i hope now is for them to extend Doris and Beecroft downsouth as well.

Looks like Mel Lastman's vision of a "downtown north york" is finally shaping up.
There were plans like this for North York that predate Mel as Mayor. He should get credit for implementing the plans.

Back