Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

^ Beautiful colours! Is there a way I can get the full resolution of that? On flickr, the maximum is 1600*1017

I was not the one who took it, doubt could get higher res. Lots of photographers on flikr limit their resolutions.

Glass on shorter 32 storey west tower is almost done and shows how it drapes the curve. Mechanical floor can be spotted by the very long glass! 2-level truss at top of curve on west tower is still visible since glass only partially covers it now.

On the taller 40 storey east tower, they're now adding a much shorter truss structure (vs the 2 level truss structure on west tower) at the top of the curve; if you look closely at the photo, you'll see the truss are being supported by cables to the crane. The curve side of the east tower has topped out, the spine is actually tallest part of east tower.

Photos taken from my backyard - so you're looking north-east at EmeraldPark.

Attachments

• IMG_0967[1].JPG
    IMG_0967[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,400
  • IMG_0974[1].JPG
    IMG_0974[1].JPG
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 2,330
  • IMG_0978[1].JPG
    IMG_0978[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,366
Something going on this weekend.....if Mother Nature cooperates

Hmmm,.... I guess they'll be taking down the crane for 32 storey west tower.

Looking great! Glad to see the final roofline is reasonably similar to the renders, and the use of window-wall hasn't let it down. The angled mullions are a nice change.

Something going on this weekend.....if Mother Nature cooperates

FYI, this weekend Beecroft is closed from Poyntz to Sheppard West (basically no signage and thus many cars are doing U-turns at site). Should reopen for Monday AM rush hour. They're taking down the crane for EmeraldPark 32 storey West Tower. They finished setting up the mobile crane around 4pm on Saturday and they'll work well into the night. It was supposed to happen last weekend but was delayed due to poor weather prior to that weekend.

If you're in the area, interesting sight watching crane come down.

The crane for EmeraldPark 40 storey east tower should be taken down in about a month. That'll likely require some lane closure on Yonge Street. The East Tower crane is the second tallest external crane in Toronto and is very visible from Yonge Street (tallest is L-tower at Yonge & Front); most crane are built into the new elevator shaft of the building under construction but external crane are built outside of the building.

Attachments

• IMG_1118[1].JPG
    IMG_1118[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_1128[1].JPG
    IMG_1128[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,366
  • IMG_1101[1].JPG
    IMG_1101[1].JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,396
Shots from about week ago,.... truss on top of curved side of 40-storey west tower now has a roof and waiting for covering.

Attachments

• IMG_1033[1].JPG
    IMG_1033[1].JPG
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_1147[1].JPG
    IMG_1147[1].JPG
    904.1 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_1355[1].JPG
    IMG_1355[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 987
EmeraldPark 40-storey east tower uses an external tower crane (second tallest in GTA after L-tower), quite rare - I don't recall ever seeing an external crane in North York Centre. They've already started to take down this external tower crane recently . It's an interesting sight. In first photo, look for crane counter weight on jib relative to building height - about floor 37. The strategy seems to be to slowly lower the crane by taking tower segments out of the larger climbing units (see 3rd photo - 4th photo shows grey coloured tower segments on ground); until the crane is just above the 4 floor podium (in this section actually 3 floor).

External Tower Crane Assembly with Climber Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB91Sm-kGJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39152VWCPk

As such, this crane dis-assembly is quite different than the conventional crane we saw taken down a few weeks ago from EmeraldPark 32-storey west tower which required a large mobile crane unit to reach up to the crane jib above the building itself.

Attachments

• IMG_1880[1].JPG
    IMG_1880[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 983
  • IMG_1860[1].JPG
    IMG_1860[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 984
  • IMG_1862[1].JPG
    IMG_1862[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 972
  • IMG_1871[1].JPG
    IMG_1871[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 967
Last edited:
"Most crane are built into the new elevator shaft of the building" ????? You need to educate yourself on that one....here's a hint ... Not even one is.

"Most crane are built into the new elevator shaft of the building" ????? You need to educate yourself on that one....here's a hint ... Not even one is.

lol don't tell someone they need to educate themselves when you don't know what your talking about.

Most cranes are built inside of the elevator shafts then jacked up using hydraulics lifts as the building rises.

lol don't tell someone they need to educate themselves when you don't know what your talking about.

Most cranes are built inside of the elevator shafts then jacked up using hydraulics lifts as the building rises.

I had assumed that the bases for 'standard' cranes (those which jack themselves up from their bases) were located in the elevator shafts, but was informed by someone in the construction industry that no - that was not the case, they do not use the elevator shafts to hold the crane base. I do not know whether the reason is because of dimensions - elevator shafts not being the appropriate size, or structural strength requirements. I do remember my surprise, at my naive assumption (elevator shaft being such a appropriate use to hold the crane base) being so wrong...

So, just to confirm, cranes are nearly never erected in elevator shafts. That had been my assumption early on too, but then we started touring buildings under construction, and have covered that fact on many building tour stories. Buildings need their elevators constructed as close to topping off as possible, and the cranes may still be around for a while after that. So, they get built in another spot, a hole is left in each floor, the cranes get jack higher each half dozen floors or so, and then the newly freed-up holes are filled in.

Here's another external tower crane raising, here you see the tower segments being passed into the sleeve-like climing unit - this is the type of crane used on EmeraldPark 40 storey east tower which is being taken down now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5Qt7_ECEE

In my previous post, photo #4 shows 4 tower segments on the ground,... each are about 2 (condo) storey tall.

AD27, would you have an idea of when the crane jib would be just above podium level and ready to be removed from the site?

EmeraldPark 32 storey west tower used a regular crane, we saw them put in the cement pad at the base and build cement structure all around it as the crane raised. In most cases, the building is built around the crane and the crane ends up in the centre area of the building, which is where you'd want the elevators. Yes, I'm naive as well to think that the vertical openings on each floor would be repurpose as elevator shaft,... seem logical but sometimes it seems not practical,... since it seems crane are needed to install elevators or something like that,...

Anyways, here's an interesting youtube video of them taking down the crane at Heathview tower (St.Clair West station area) in toronto,... it seems this particular crane structure went through the corner units and away from the centre where the elevators are. Notice at the end they`re grabbing out those long crane vertical tower segments right out of the building
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUQalhFFnOE

Back