Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Yesterday management sent out an Engineering Survey which unit owners should fill out about issues in the building. Not surprisingly others have also been complaining to the board.

Management says that the board ordered an engineering survey.

Residential Board or Retail/Office Board? I'm guessing Residential Board since there's an older Persian lawyer on that board and they seem more effective VS the Retail/Office Board who are mainly investors-owners (1 unoccupied retail-condo unit owner, 1 rented out retail-condo unit owner and 1 occupied office-condo unit owner).

EmeraldPark residential-condo units reflect the area's high demographic of Chinese, Korean and Persians,.... including newer immigrants,... my observation is the Persians won't be shy to let you know if they're not happy about something,... that's why the Persian lawyer on the residential board is effective! Asians generally shy away from complaining about anything to others (they'll complain amongst themselves but don't like bringing that type of attention to themselves),... and that characteristic tends to weaken the Retail/Office Board since almost all the PacificMall type cubicle retail-condo units are owned by Chinese (a by product of the original Loblaw's T&T anchor tenant),... add to that 2/3 of the Retail/Office Board members are owner-investor who are rarely on-site at EmeraldPark.

My observation is the residential issues get fixed faster than the retail/office issues,..... IE: about a month ago doors for lobby of WestTower had issues and it was resolved quickly,.... whereas the 3 broken retail mall doors are have been broken for 2-3 months and counting,.....

Mint, I certainly do stand corrected and I do apologize. For some reason, I just thought you were a renter,... maybe it was the later join date. Did you buy pre-construction or after?

As an owner you do have more say VS a renter,.... condo boards are designed to represent owners. And as a live-in owner, you should ensure your voice is heard at the board,... otherwise it'll be drowned out by the investor-owners who wouldn't care as much about EmeraldPark, all they care about is that their unit is rented and they're making money.

There seems to be a lot of this going on in the thread ... write a bunch of stuff and if someone calls you on it apologize with I am sorry, I just assumed ....
I have been enjoying the rants as of late and I guess it's true ... if you act and write as if you know all and have all the answers, then people will follow along, buy into the story.

Another door is now broken near the Timmies. I remember they fixed it once because of the same issue months ago. The metal near the bottom of the door holding the glass pane got bent and now the door won't close properly.

There seems to be a lot of this going on in the thread ... write a bunch of stuff and if someone calls you on it apologize with I am sorry, I just assumed ....
I have been enjoying the rants as of late and I guess it's true ... if you act and write as if you know all and have all the answers, then people will follow along, buy into the story.

You must be Jonathan Gold.

I remember you telling us that Metro closed on the 2nd floor. Let's just say information like that can only come from certain people. Not surprisingly you have restricted your past posts from being viewed. A total coward.

Things in this building can only be assumed then confirmed as time goes on. Bazis and management here simply don't have the decency to update you with anything even when you ask for it. Getting information on the simplest things is like trying to get water from a stone.

Last edited:

Yeah,... like everyone, I'm guilty of listening to one too many Justin Bieber song!

You know what they say about "Assume",.... so how's your assumption coming along? As you posted on June 28, 2016,....
Now that the Metro deal has closed and they have taken ownership of the entire 2nd floor I would imagine LCBO will be opening up soon!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-124#post-1128397

As for Metro taking ownership of the entire 2nd floor,....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-143#post-1174817
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-143#post-1174818

As for LCBO opening anytime soon,....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-150#post-1184373

Another summer without cold beer,..... tsk, tsk,...

MKerian, take a look at reality,....

I'm not trying to police anything. I'm expressing my opinion as anyone else has a right to do in this forum.

Look, I appreciate your posts. You provide great in-depth information on many North York area projects, and I thank you for that.

I personally don't appreciate when you go off and write very long and repetitive threads to many who disagree or attempt to argue with you. But that happens all over the internet. No need for you to care that I care, or change that, because it is your right.

But I take it as a personal insult when you accuse me of reporting posts because "they don't share my long time pro-Bazis Emerald Park views?" That's an absolute lie.

As I'm sure you've already done, I went back through my post history to see where I express my "Pro-BazisEmeraldPark views" and where you could get that absurd idea. As a summary, I said I enjoy how this building looks, I said I like the glass, I said it wasn't that bad, I said I look forward to the retail, and I look forward to the Metro opening.

The Metro hasn't opened. I'd love it if it does, don't care if it doesn't. I still personally like how it looks, and I like the retail at its base. THOSE ARE ALL PERSONAL OPINIONS. Just because I don't wave a torch to the management doesn't mean I'm in love with them.

If you hate the building and the management, no problem! I don't care. I truly don't.

But do NOT accuse me of being "Pro-BazisEmeraldPark" just because I don't agree with everything you say.

BTW - Allwyn's is great.

You must be Jonathan Gold.

I remember you telling us that Metro closed on the 2nd floor. Let's just say information like that can only come from certain people. Not surprisingly you have restricted your past posts from being viewed. A total coward.

Things in this building can only be assumed then confirmed as time goes on. Bazis and management here simply don't have the decency to update you with anything even when you ask for it. Getting information on the simplest things is like trying to get water from a stone.

This I'mabeliever poster has just 3 posts,....

I'mabeliever first post on June 28, 2016:
Now that the Metro deal has closed and they have taken ownership of the entire 2nd floor I would imagine LCBO will be opening up soon!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-124#post-1128397

I'mabeliever second post on July 4, 2016,... corrected me on the underground pedestrian tunnel way before its site plan was posted by LilianChan,....
Unfortunately all the facts are not accurate within this post ... the steel door next to the orange tarp is the door to air shaft (not for Emerald Park residents). But what do I know, I am a newbie and this is only my second post.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-126#post-1129830

And I'mabeliever third post is today making fun of me for assuming too much about an EmeraldPark resident,.....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-155#post-1192182

This I'mabeliever poster certainly is knowledgable with timely information,... and knowledgable posters should always be welcomed.

But if this I'mabeliever poster really is from Bazis,... that's absolutely hilarious,..... it means they have nothing better to do than troll the internet when there's an endless list of issues at Bazis' EmeraldPark: 3 broken mall doors (some endanger of being blocked off again), TTC entrance that City/TTC won't allow to be opened - now legal issue, most retail-condo and office-condo units remain vacant as owner can't find tenants, Bazis being sued by retail-condo unit owner due to flood damage, board ordered survey to document EmeraldPark building defects and poor build quality, etc,....

Just saw the new broken door Bill123 spoke of earlier. Looks like it no longer closes and the gap is actually quite large... maybe a 30 degree angle. I wonder if they're just going to completely board up that entrance completely now. How inviting it must look to outsiders.

Just saw the new broken door Bill123 spoke of earlier. Looks like it no longer closes and the gap is actually quite large... maybe a 30 degree angle. I wonder if they're just going to completely board up that entrance completely now. How inviting it must look to outsiders.

About 2 months ago, the eastern half of this mall entrance broke first (it couldn't close properly and left ajar it'll get caught in the wind and slam open!) and then completely fell off and that half was boarded up. Now that the other half is broken at the hinge and frame, buckled the door frame too!,.... and as you mentioned can't close properly and stuck ajar,.... I'm already checking the weather forecast,... looking for a windy day,... just in case if anyone wants to take bets on when this door will completely fall off!

IMG_6689.JPG

Short of doing what every other building management/developer does and actually pay to fix the door!!!,.... It'll be interesting to see what Bazis' solution is, since completely boarding up this entrance and blocking it off is a fire safety violation, not that Bazis cared in the past,... but now Fire Marshals have EmeraldPark on their radar due to past fire safety door blockage violations.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-146#post-1177609

Attachments

• IMG_6689.JPG
    IMG_6689.JPG
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 510
Now my most recent worry is what if Bazis simply has no money? The doors down here and wall paint which should be covered by warranty have not been fixed for months. No way would Bazis suicide their public image over mishandling this one project when they have 4-5 more developments in the works. They perhaps may be over-leveraged.

In addition to my previous reply here,.... on Bazis development pipeline looks to be ending,....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-154#post-1191168

Bazis' long construction time is what will ultimately kill Bazis! Note, I'm blaming Bazis not Bazis' contractor TMG Builder!

Look through Bazis EmeraldPark thread and Tridel HullmarkCentre thread,.... both went to market summer 2008, both got development approvals in early 2010, both started construction early 2011 (HullmarkCentre site demolision in Fall 2010 whereas EmeraldPark really had nothing to demolish except 1 bungalow!),....

Tridel HullmarkCentre 35-storey SouthTower open December 2013,... Tridel HullmarkCentre 45-storey NorthTower should have completed around the same time as SouthTower but was delayed almost 1 year since they had to redesign their underground pedestrian tunnel due to conflict with existing northbound Yonge to eastbound Sheppard subway WYE turning tunnel underneath the open-space plaza of that site; it open December 2014,... about 3-4 years of construction.

Bazis EmeraldPark is the smaller project, it's 30(+2)-storey WestTower open in March 2015 and it's 40-storey EastTower in late Summer 2015, retailers occupancy in Fall 2015 and office in January 2016,... almost 5 years of construction. That's a year after a 1 year late HullmarkCentre NorthTower,... thus, Bazis EmeraldPark really took almost 2 years longer than it should in construction stage! Why?

When high cost construction that should have taken 3 years ended up taking almost 5 years,.... that extra 50% or so in construction cost eats away at any profit. Why does Bazis construction time takes so long,... because Bazis constantly redesign during construction! That's why the blame is on Bazis and not Bazis' contractor TMG Builder.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-147#post-1179860

Example: Bazis' EmeraldPark 30-storey WestTower was 5 feet shorter than allowed for maximum residential occupancy height,.... because Bazis can't do simple grade 2 addition, this wasn't discovered until during construction. They could have just let it go but greedy Bazis decided not to just cut a couple inches off each floor to add one new floor,... but instead chop off about 8" off each floor ceiling height to add 2 new floors!!! CommitteeOfAdjustment approval was granted when WestTower had already poured 8 floors of forming,.... so the floors above got chopped!

Another example, just 2 months before WestTower opened,... January 2015 CommitteeOfAdjustment approvals for severance of 2nd floor retail space (Metro/LCBO units), redesign of loading docks for Metro and private freight elevators replacing common area food-court washrooms which were relocated to hidden Mezzanine level between 1st & 2nd floor! All this after both towers already topped-out.
https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Tor...to/Files/pdf/J/January-8-2015-NYdecisions.pdf

Look at all the changes in 1st floor retail before and after,.... and many of these changes had to be done because Bazis failed to design the space with their clients in mind,.... greedy Bazis focused on maximizing their dollar per square footage via small Pacific-Mall type cubicle stores.

City Planning Final Report (original development approval):

IMG_6646.JPG

Pre-Construction:

EmeraldPark_GalleriaPatio.jpg

Final Product Built:
EmeraldPark_1retailsiteplan.png

Retail-condo unit buyers/investors who could afford Yonge Street frontage stores insisted on larger stores stating they won't be able to rent out small Pacific-Mall type cubicle stores, so all these Yonge frontage stores were elongated to become larger,... and Bazis' customers were right! All these large Yonge frontage stores are now occupied, under renovation or have tenants waiting for renovation. Yet most of the Pacific-Mall type cubicle stores especially along Poyntz are still vacant!

Bazis was way over their head with EmeraldPark! Not just financially where Bazis had to take on two more established developer partners just to get financing,... but Bazis Canada had never designed a Mixed-Use development before! And the combination of mixed-use at Bazis EmeraldPark has never been done before,... 1st floor PacificMall type cubicle retail-condo stores, 2nd floor traditional retail shell for large format supermarket, 3rd floor office-condo (a first here & at HullmarkCentre), then two residential-condo towers above,.... challenge was to get all these components integrated together with direct subway connection and street-level pedestrian flow,...... Bazis surely failed in this regard. All components are basically segregated with poor pedestrian flow design. For office-condo all 4 elevators were redesigned into one corner, there's no office lobby area on 1st floor - let alone security desk or even office directory information board or even floor map! And look how dangerously residential lobbies are placed right beside loading docks and parking entrance.

It's these last minute design changes that causes major delays in construction delivery for EmeraldPark project,.... and since Bazis has a tight condo tower development pipeline of 2 years between condo-development,.... and because Bazis uses TMG Builders exclusively,.... any delay in one project will impact the next,... and any delay in the next project will impact the subsequent project,.... it's a snowball effect!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-154#post-1191168

Since Bazis EmeraldPark took 2 years longer to build then it should have due to all the last minute redesign during construction due to poor original designs,.... Bazis next project, Exhibit, took at least 2 years longer to build than it should have, not merely because Bazis' TMG Builder were stuck at EmeraldPark longer than expected but because Bazis was doing so many last minute redesign changes to EmeraldPark during construction that they didn't do a good original design for Exhibit thus, Exhibit would go through last minute design changes during construction as well,.... so guess what'll happen to Bazis next project, e-condo?

Bazis' long construction time due to last minute changes caused by poorly thought out design,.... is what will ultimately kill Bazis! A developer can't spend 50% longer on expensive construction stage VS the competitor,.... and still expect to remain competitive.

Attachments

• IMG_6646.JPG
    IMG_6646.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 573
  • EmeraldPark_1retailsiteplan.png
    EmeraldPark_1retailsiteplan.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 615
  • EmeraldPark_GalleriaPatio.jpg
    EmeraldPark_GalleriaPatio.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 525
Sunnray, what should the height of each floor be? I feel my unit is what it should be, I think they cut more off of some floors and not all floors.

Sunnray, what should the height of each floor be? I feel my unit is what it should be, I think they cut more off of some floors and not all floors.

Standard for new condo now is 9 feet ceiling height and 10 feet ceiling height for luxury units. Bazis EmeraldPark and Tridel HullmarkCentre was sold as "Luxury" condo units. Even Bazis CrystalBlu got 10 feet ceiling height,.... and that's a crappy condo!

In order to introduce 2 new floors to WestTower within the permitted residential height allowed, given the developer had miscalculated by about 5 feet initially and they got consent during 8th floor cement forming stage,..... each floor above the 8th floor had to lose an average of 8 inches in ceiling height! And I do agree that some WestTower floors lost more ceiling height than others,.... Bazis got away with this crap because residential-condo buyers purchase based on condo unit size measured in per square footage (floor area),... not per cubic footage (volume).

First image is from WestTower 22nd floor hallway,.... ceiling height so low the exit sign at end of hallway almost blocking doorway to stairs!
IMG_3523.JPG

Second image from WestTower 21 or 23 floor hallway,... definitely a big difference in ceiling height, visible from door top to ceiling,.... And this isn't even the penthouse floor of this 30+2 storey tower.
IMG_3531.JPG

When looking at EmeraldPark Towers from outside,.... many people can tell there's a difference in ceiling height between WestTower and EastTower residential condo floors.

Attachments

• IMG_3523.JPG
    IMG_3523.JPG
    992.4 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_3531.JPG
    IMG_3531.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 531
If I were a renter, I'd probably just bail out of Emerald Park instead of complaining about it so much here.

This thread has more whine than the Bayview Village LCBO. Is the building flawless? No. Is it bad? Absolutely not. There's nothing to genuinely complain about in this building as a renter. You can tell that they cut some corners here and there but the construction quality is at least as good as any similar-size condo downtown. Having to walk one entire block to get into the subway isn't a reason to bail when the typical rent is the same as (if not lower than) most other condos on Yonge built in the last 5 years.

Wanna see a bad building? Walk two blocks east to 88 Sheppard. Unfinished ceilings, tiny bedrooms, paper-thin sliding doors, very dark hallways, bizarre location, and units there cost about as much to rent as here in Emerald Park. And they have two walk two blocks to get to the subway (oh the humanity!).

Coopero;
What were you told or shown during the sales period? Was it 9 foot ceilings? I would check with a tape measure just so I knew whether I got the promised height or my unit was chopped by 8 inches.
Unfortunately for pre-construction buyers, the builder always covers himself by putting words like "Subject to change" in fine print.

Coopero,... If you go back through the thread or go to NorthYorkCivicCentre CityPlanning - CommitteeOfAdjustment desk to inquire about File: A615/13NY from October 9, 2013 CommitteeOfAdjustment hearing, you'll see Bazis EmeraldPark was allowed to increase density by squeezing in 2 more floor into WestTower within the allowed residential height of 102m (114m height total including mechanical and architectural features) in October 2013 (when cement forming was around 8th floor),.... which with negotiation with local Councillor in consultation with community ratepayers associations,... gained a $270K Section 45 development fee,... I believe it technically should have been classified as Section37 CommunityBenefit fee (density increase) but after Final Report they tend not to reopen Section37 since that'll open the entire can of worms and everything in Section37 could be renegotiated. I made reference to this $270K amount when I posted about Section37 CommunityBenefit last year, when everyone was getting their final closing amount and freaking out about the 13K to 20K Section37 CommunityBenefit amount due because Bazis didn't tell them about this Section37 CommunityBenefit amount earlier,... which they were by coincidence charging their condo-buyers interest on,... from 2011 paid before building permits issued to 2016 final closing,.... 5 years worth of interest at their interest rate.
The following additional Section 45 funds were obtained a few years later because EmeraldPark developer squeezed in 2 more storeys to West Tower (by chopping ceiling height for the rest of the tower)

Date: 10/09/2013
File: A615/13NY
$270,000.00
4726-4728 Yonge St.,9-31 Bogert Ave., 2-28 Poyntz Ave.

+ $270,000 contribution to be used for community benefits payble upon the expiry of the appeal period for these variances. *** I'm guessing this was categorized as Section 45 because Section 37 was already finalized ,.... anyways, I do recall the councillor was very giddy about squeezing this amount from the developer!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-113#post-1070093

That $270K amount was from late 2013,... and Bazis failed to pay it until the City insisted otherwise their January 2015 CommitteeOfAdjustment variances for Metro/LCBO severance and loading docks wouldn't be heard,.... here's some email between Metropia and CityPlanning,... remember I stated Metropia is much more involved Bazis partner VS silent partner PlazaCorp. Here's some of the email I dug up referencing the $270K Section 45 amount owed that was paid prior to the January 2015 CommitteeOfAdjustment variances,.... developer owes 270K to City (in trust for community!) and takes a year to pay amount without being charged any interest,.... wow, must be nice to be a developer!

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    877.9 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 537
Last edited:
This thread has more whine than the Bayview Village LCBO. Is the building flawless? No. Is it bad? Absolutely not. There's nothing to genuinely complain about in this building as a renter. You can tell that they cut some corners here and there but the construction quality is at least as good as any similar-size condo downtown. Having to walk one entire block to get into the subway isn't a reason to bail when the typical rent is the same as (if not lower than) most other condos on Yonge built in the last 5 years.

Wanna see a bad building? Walk two blocks east to 88 Sheppard. Unfinished ceilings, tiny bedrooms, paper-thin sliding doors, very dark hallways, bizarre location, and units there cost about as much to rent as here in Emerald Park. And they have two walk two blocks to get to the subway (oh the humanity!).

Don't bother. Anything counter to the hate party in here and you'll be branded a collaborator or enemy.

Back