Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I believe @allengeorge meant to say that financial close for the OL won't be until after the election. The RFP/RFQ wouldn't be a guarantee of the project getting built anyways; the Sheppard and Finch LRTs were in the RFP/RFQ phase for years, before Sheppard was killed.

Yeap - that’s exactly what I meant, and - thank you: you said it much more clearly!

How was it flawed?

Why was the RL North going to arrive way too late?

We would be much further ahead if Ford just continued with the DRL South and presented a sensible DRL North extension.

You and I have discussed this in the OL forum. Ask the question there again and I will gladly repeat myself with more detail.

Fair enough. I do recall having this discussion in the OL thread.

We can return to discussing the ridiculously planned project that's the subject of this thread. ;)
Should've been elevated all the way through, at least its not in the median at any point. Rob Ford bad for selling land, hopefully Doug Ford can get the corridor densification going, and get property owners to pay for the difference that the underground section will cost compared to elevated as he's promising.

Should've been elevated all the way through, at least its not in the median at any point. Rob Ford bad for selling land, hopefully Doug Ford can get the corridor densification going, and get property owners to pay for the difference that the underground section will cost compared to elevated as he's promising.
You can forget that idea as a large number of areas are already built up to the street edge. Regardless underground or elevated with 2 elevators in place of one, anyone who needs to use the elevator is shit out of luck getting to/from the station and force to long kikes to/from the station they want in the first place.

And it will ultimately be a haphazardly built line with half of it underground with further stop spacing, and the other half on the road with more frequent stops.

Based on current timelines, tunnel construction is expected to commence in 2022. Launch shaft construction is expected to commence next year.

View attachment 264371

Even though tunnelling the extension may not have been the best idea, I'm glad to see this project moving forward towards construction. I still think Ford's plan for the extension is much better than the old at-grade idea. So here's to getting shovels in the ground. :)

Yep, elevated would have made the most sense. But here we are.

I fully see this line being extended along the Mississauga Transitway in the far future. Like 2040/2050. Repurpose the transitway as LRT like they did in Ott--- better than they did in Ottawa.

That was the plan originally, as you can see by the "extension" arrows

1598117720891.png

1598117754426.png

So having full grade separation makes that a much better proposal in my mind, as it allows for rapid service from Winston Churchill to Yonge subway station.

Having the line go to street style LRT would put a large kink in the ability to offer a rapid connection and affect service levels on such a long line.

Last edited:
I fully see this line being extended along the Mississauga Transitway in the far future. Like 2040/2050. Repurpose the transitway as LRT like they did in Ott--- better than they did in Ottawa.

Hopefully, much sooner than 2040. Once the OL / SSE / Yonge North / Eg West are all under construction, there will be no obstracles to the Mississauga Eglinton LRT plan.

By the way, the transitway should be able to accommodate LRT and buses at the same time. Full conversion is not a must.

By the way, the transitway should be able to accommodate LRT and buses at the same time. Full conversion is not a must.

Yes, but at the expense of PTC on the LRTs.

They will have to decide whats more worthwhile, LRT only with PTC and busbays at all the stations for transfer (as well as some sort of fare agreement with GO bus transfers) or allowing bus with LRT.

Yes, but at the expense of PTC on the LRTs.

They will have to decide whats more worthwhile, LRT only with PTC and busbays at all the stations for transfer (as well as some sort of fare agreement with GO bus transfers) or allowing bus with LRT.

What I envision is LRT serving every stop, but the bypass lanes at stations being able to be used for GO buses. Basically, the regional aspect of the Transitway remains intact, but the local rapid transit aspect gets shifted from BRT to LRT.

What I envision is LRT serving every stop, but the bypass lanes at stations being able to be used for GO buses. Basically, the regional aspect of the Transitway remains intact, but the local rapid transit aspect gets shifted from BRT to LRT.
I don't think its safe to have GO buses driving in the same lane as multi unit LRV trains at high speed. Any collision would be serious, especially if a LRV hits a bus with full momentum.

LRT can also have express/local if scheduled correctly and you are in Japan.

I don't think its safe to have GO buses driving in the same lane as multi unit LRV trains at high speed. Any collision would be serious, especially if a LRV hits a bus with full momentum.

Lets pretend this is 2040 when this is implemented and self driving car technology is widespread and common, reliable.

Both the GO buses and the LRVs could have sophisticated self driving technology that is aware of each vehicle and prevents any collisions or accidents.

Like a very advanced PTC.

Then I could see it happening but only then.

There would certainly need to be safety standards put in place to prevent the two from running in the same direction in close proximity to each other.

LRT can also have express/local if scheduled correctly and you are in Japan.

My thought was more to maintain continuity for longer, more regional GO services. Express buses to Pearson and such. But yes, you're right.

i think missisauga transitway conversion to lrt should happen sooner than later given how much development is proposed at square one. almost nothing along the corridor but the anticipated density at sq1 is enough to justify it if mississauga is not getting bloor danforth extension or milton like rer.

Back