Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

So how is Ford getting transit done sooner, where most needed?
I thought about mentioning this in my previous post as well.

I'm happy for Toronto to get more investment, and living along the Eglinton Corridor, this line in particular has the potential to expand my personal mobility (to the point re: Airport Corporate Centre, there have been job postings I've personally passed up on in the past because commuting to that area by transit was too arduous). However, if one was to look holistically at the region as a whole, these dollars heading to Eglinton West would have been much better spent on the Hamilton LRT.

Insisting on building a tunneled subway for a cost of hundreds of millions more in a wide, suburban corridor that would have been adequately served by a surface LRT certainly sets a very interesting, and unexpected, precedent. I've lost track of how many times I've seen people on this forum say, "oh, that line can't be built because it would require tunneling due to the road being too narrow at the surface, and therefore the costs are prohibitive." (eg. the proposed Jane LRT, or discussion around upgrading transit on Dufferin). With the Ford government's approach to over-building transit, those arguments no longer hold water, because if we can build subway infrastructure along a long section through the middle of leafy, sleepy Etobicoke, then it's only all the more justified to do the same along a far more urban and busy street like Jane.

No excuses, Doug - you've set the example!

It's incredible how much more density exists on Eglinton east of Kennedy compared with this stretch.

I don't see the value in connecting Line 5 to Pearson when travellers could just transfer at Mount Dennis from the UPX to head Midtown.

I think it's funny that Weston had to fight for a stop on the UPX, and this strip of grass gets a whole line. We're shit at picking priorities in Toronto.

Last edited:
In the not-to-distant future, it will make logical sense to get tri-government commitment to complete the connection of FWLRT and EGWest to Pearson Airport, providing yet another massive connection to the network.

Can see the Eglinton West LRT connecting to the Pearson Transit Hub (see link) first. As for the Finch West LRT, there would likely be the easterly extension (Phase Two) from Finch West Station at Keele to Finch Station at Yonge before the southerly extension to the Pearson Transit Hub. This will happen AFTER the Ontario Line and AFTER the Yonge Subway extension, but will be in competition with the Sheppard West Subway extension.

north.jpg

From link.

It's incredible how much more density exists on Eglinton east of Kennedy compared with this stretch.

I don't see the value in connecting Line 5 to Pearson when travellers could just transfer at Mount Dennis from the UPX to head Midtown.

I think it's funny that Weston had to fight for a stop on the UPX, and this strip of grass gets a whole line. We're shit at picking priorities in Toronto.

Unfortunately it's not Toronto picking this priority. It's our Premier, who will benefit politically from putting this underground.

I hear everyones argument about converting the EGW Extension above ground and the lack of importance compared to other areas however personally speaking I rather pay more tax $ for this extension than have nothing at all. EGW Extension will lead to immense densification through residential and commercial developments that will help pay it off (through developmental fees and property tax). It is the future North Bloor Line and will play an intricate role in allowing the city to expand its downtown northwards. Nothing in life is perfect so we can't expect our politicians to be. Enough talking and debating because everyone will have different viewpoints and lets get shovels in the ground!!

I hear everyones argument about converting the EGW Extension above ground and the lack of importance compared to other areas however personally speaking I rather pay more tax $ for this extension than have nothing at all. EGW Extension will lead to immense densification through residential and commercial developments that will help pay it off (through developmental fees and property tax). It is the future North Bloor Line and will play an intricate role in allowing the city to expand its downtown northwards. Nothing in life is perfect so we can't expect our politicians to be. Enough talking and debating because everyone will have different viewpoints and lets get shovels in the ground!!

DRL, something something. So I guess we don't mind paying a bit more to spec OL to a higher level (capacity that will actually be used).

AoD

DRL, something something. So I guess we don't mind paying a bit more to spec OL to a higher level (capacity that will actually be used).

AoD

I would be in support in paying more for the OL if it means shovels in the ground. If the government doesn't support paying more than I am okay with the design as is. Better we get some relief than no relief at all. Would you rather have no OL and no relief coming for another few decades?

I would be in support in paying more for the OL if it means shovels in the ground. If the government doesn't support paying more than I am okay with the design as is. Better we get some relief than no relief at all. Would you rather have no OL and no relief coming for another few decades?

Sorry, if the government is unwilling to spend the dollars necessary to do it right where need exists while spending pork on this, it has no business determining relief. I don't sing praises of those who killed something, came back with second best and say thank me while refusing to even consider similar solutions in their own political backyard.

AoD

Last edited:
Sorry, if the government is unwilling to spend the dollars necessary to do it right where need exists while spending pork on this, it has no business determining relief. I don't sing praises of those who killed something, came back with second best and say thank me.

AoD

I would rather have some relief rather than unsustainable overcrowding on the Yonge line which is leading to a number of health and safety concerns as you are aware. There will be significant ridership on Yonge due to:

- The Yonge Line will be extending to Richmond Hill / Markham
- Eglinton Crosstown will pour in many riders at Eglinton Station
- Bloor Line is going to extend until deep Scarborough and increase ridership
- Lastly population is going to go through the roof in Toronto in the coming years

It will be impossible to get on a train on the Yonge Line south of Eglinton. With Ford likely to win 2022 and Liberals potentially winning in 2026 that would mean DRL + DRL North will not be operational until 2040s. By then we will be lucky if Yonge Line hasn't shut down permanently due to significant health and safety risks as determined by the fire marshal. Like I have said life isn't perfect. I wish a hundred years ago they created 2 trains going northbound and 2 trains going southbound but I am thankful at least 1 each way got built. Yes its not perfect but we will make it do.

Last edited:
I would rather have some relief rather than unsustainable overcrowding on the Yonge line which is leading to a number of health and safety concerns as you are aware. There will be significant ridership on Yonge due to:

- The Yonge Line will be extending to Richmond Hill / Markham
- Eglinton Crosstown will pour in many riders at Eglinton Station
- Bloor Line is going to extend until deep Scarborough and increase ridership
- Lastly population is going to go through the roof in Toronto in the coming years

It will be impossible to get on a train on the Yonge Line south of Eglinton. With Ford likely to win 2022 and Liberals potentially winning in 2026 that would mean DRL + DRL North will not be operational until 2040s. By then we will be lucky if Yonge Line hasn't shut down permanently due to significant health and safety risks as determined by the fire marshal. Like I have said life isn't perfect. I wish a hundred years ago they created 2 trains going northbound and 2 trains going southbound but I am thankful at least 1 each way got built. Yes its not perfect but we will make it do.

According to this link...

At GO Transit, we have a lot on the go — especially when it comes to construction.

Over the next ten years, we’re doubling the number of train trips during rush hour and quadrupling the number of train trips outside of rush hour and on weekends.

More trains will bring more people to GO Transit and we need to be ready for that increase. So, we’re modernizing our stations and building new ones, boosting our infrastructure and providing more ways to access stations. And of course we need to maintain a strong bus network as well.

1597964338464.png

From link.

If the majority want to get to UNION STATION, they'll be using the GO Train. It's those who do not want to go to Union Station, and who would want to transfer, that needs a better connection or transfer (like a fare discount, which Doug cancelled earlier this year).

I wish a hundred years ago they created 2 trains going northbound and 2 trains going southbound but I am thankful at least 1 each way got built. Yes its not perfect but we will make it do.

Actually, what you should be thankful about in that scenario (80 or so years ago) was that the infrastructure was sized in a way that make capacity increases fairly straightforward for half a century- and not relying on frequency alone to cut physical sizing of builds like OL is.

AoD

The Relief Line South was very flawed in itself. And the RL North was going to arrive way too late. Anyway, take this discussion about the Relief Line in the Ontario Line thread.

Back