Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Well, this would not have been my priority for funding, or my idea of the best configuration for grade-separation on the corridor, but I would be happy if we build Option 4 and expanded transit coverage through Etobicoke and to the airport. The direct connection at Renforth Gateway between Eglinton and the the Mississauga Transitway will be important too.

Instead of complaining about the above, we should invest our time and energy towards changing land use patterns along Eglinton from suburban single-detached houses to something more reflecting the infrastructure being invested in.

Well, this would not have been my priority for funding, or my idea of the best configuration for grade-separation on the corridor, but I would be happy if we build Option 4 and expanded transit coverage through Etobicoke and to the airport. The direct connection at Renforth Gateway between Eglinton and the the Mississauga Transitway will be important too.

Instead of complaining about the above, we should invest our time and energy towards changing land use patterns along Eglinton from suburban single-detached houses to something more reflecting the infrastructure being invested in.

Start by replacing Doug Ford's home on Tettenhall Road with a group home for kids. Or next door to him.

Didn't the Ford gov loosen the restrictions to building high density next to transit stations?
the updated Growth Plan allows for more density around existing transit centres. New regulations more than double the maximum scope of 'Major Transit Areas' where density is encouraged: the previous radius of 500 metres is expanded to 800 metres (which is identified as roughly equivalent to a 10-minute walk). Bringing density to transit hubs — like TTC subway stops — will hopefully become easier.
Facilitating transit-oriented development around existing infrastructure, the new regulations also reverse rules that allowed cities to insulate some transit-rich areas from development while intensifying construction elsewhere to meet overall density goals. Now, cities — including Toronto — will be pushed to spread density more evenly. This could help correct a skewed model of development that pushes extreme spikes of density into small pockets of the city, while much of the Toronto 'yellowbelt' of single-family homes loses population.
From Urban Toronto

It's hard to tell from what I read about it if that will apply to the new 4 projects. But this seems to be a silver lining in terms of allowing more density near transit.

Didn't the Ford gov loosen the restrictions to building high density next to transit stations?

From Urban Toronto

It's hard to tell from what I read about it if that will apply to the new 4 projects. But this seems to be a silver lining in terms of allowing more density near transit.

"500m" expanded to "800m"? Hmm. Doug Ford's home is 482.57m (as the crow flies) to the proposed station at Kipling Avenue & Eglinton Avenue West. Any takers by developers?

We're spending billions to place this and the SSE underground, and cheaping out on the OL - the one project that actually needs as much capacity as possible.

It's unfortunate that our Premier thinks the goal of transit is not to interfere with cars.
I only wonder if Ford will even ride Line 5 past Laird on opening day.

I only wonder if Ford will even ride Line 5 past Laird on opening day.

For a first shovel, ribbon-cutting ceremony, unveiling, or some other photo-op, yes.

doug_ford.jpg

From link.

Request for Qualifications Issued for Tunnelling Works
March 10, 2020
- On Scarborough Subway Extension and Eglinton Crosstown West Extension -
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued two Requests for Qualifications (RFQs) for advance tunnelling work on the Scarborough Subway Extension and the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension - the first phase of work for the two projects.
The Scarborough Subway Extension is an approximate 8-kilometre extension of Line 2 from Kennedy Station to McCowan Road/Sheppard Avenue.
The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension is a 9.2-kilometre extension of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (future TTC Line 5). The extension will run mostly underground, westward from the future Mount Dennis station to Renforth Drive. A possible future connection to Toronto Pearson International Airport is also being studied.
To expedite work on these projects, tunnelling will begin first, to be followed by separate contracts for the balance of the work on each project, which includes building the stations, fitting-out the tunnels and installing and commissioning the systems.
The RFQs issued outline the scope of work to design, build and finance the tunnels.
Scarborough Subway Extension Tunnel:
  • Tunnelling works for the approximate 8-kilometre subway extension, from Kennedy Station to McCowan Road/Sheppard Avenue
  • Design and construction of launch and extraction shafts, tunnels, as well as headwalls for emergency exit buildings stations
  • Supply tunnel boring machines (TBMs) and install segmental precast concrete tunnel liners
  • Activities necessary to build the tunnel (e.g. utility relocations, supports for shaft and headwalls, temporary power supply, lighting, ventilation, and drainage)
Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Tunnel:
  • Tunnelling works for approximately 6 kilometres of the 9.2-kilometre light rail transit extension
  • Design and construction of launch and extraction shafts, tunnels, as well as headwalls for emergency exit buildings and stations
  • Supply tunnel boring machines (TBMs) and install segmental precast concrete tunnel liners
  • Activities necessary to build the tunnel (e.g. utility relocations, supports for shaft and headwalls, temporary power supply, lighting, ventilation, and drainage)
The RFQ is the first step in the procurement process to select teams to deliver the advanced tunneling work for the two projects. Companies interested in bidding on these tunneling contracts must register with www.merx.com to download the respective RFQs.
IO and Metrolinx will evaluate RFQ submissions. Teams that possess the relevant experience and capacity to deliver each project will be shortlisted and invited to respond to a Request for Proposals (RFP) in summer 2020.
The Scarborough Subway Extension and the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension are two of four priority transit projects announced by the Province in 2019 for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. The other two projects include the Ontario Line project and the Yonge North Subway Extension.
Procurements for the subway program will be staged to ensure each project is delivered successfully. Planning is underway for all four projects, with the Ontario Line scheduled to be the first in service as early as 2027.
For more information, visit Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx.
Disponible en français

I’m on Eglinton West Etobicoke now, it’s absurd this has to be tunneled. There isn’t even a streetfront.

And plus having it on the road makes for a quick getting on and off. No having to bother with concourses, stairs, escalators, presto gates, platforms, etc.
I remember when the Scarborough (STC) transit debates were happening. It was clear that the Transit (transfer) City plan was dead. Those who looked for a compromise (i.e. Rob Ford, MTO Minister Murray) were the good guys. Those who continued to push for the old, failed Transit City plan were partly responsible for the ultimate subway solution.

I think I sense the same thing here. There are those who want the full tunneled subway and those who want to return to the on-street LRT.
It is that 2nd group that ensure that no compromise (cut-and-cover, more elevated) will be considered.

The decision to tunnel this part of the line seems like blatant pandering to Ford Nation in light of how much land is available for a right of way. Can you really trust the current provincial government to "change land use patterns" and encourage density? It'll only be to curry favour with the government's developer support base. The local population that they're pandering to doesn't have a record of voting for progressive policies. Hopefully, they'll at least have the good sense to use cut and cover.

There is already residential and other construction planned or being constructed along Eglinton Avenue West, even without a LRT. From link.

1583890196441.png

Some would have 3 stories, other 20 stories, and maybe 35 stories. For now. The locations of some sites would be fine for surface stops.

Trenched (similar to Ottawa) or the Green Line extension in Boston might be a good option, given it's the lower cost for station construction and lower tunneling costs.

If the goal is to reduce noise, not interfere with intersections, remove eyesores, and increase reliability, it could work. There's plenty of space to trench.

Trenched (similar to Ottawa) or the Green Line extension in Boston might be a good option, given it's the lower cost for station construction and lower tunneling costs.

If the goal is to reduce noise, not interfere with intersections, remove eyesores, and increase reliability, it could work. There's plenty of space to trench.
Trench with embankment slopes, or with vertical walls. The former requires slopes maybe 1:1 or flatter, so a a 5m deep trench requires 18m (60') of space.
The latter has a lot of earth pressure on the vertical walls, trying to push them in. Thus, it's actually cheaper to put struts across the top. Once your doing this, why not just put a roof on it and sprinkle a foot or so of topsoil along with grass. With the roof, it prevents debris from collecting in the trench, including snow, or thing being deliberately thrown.

Only one section really could be trenched: the Martin Grove/Eglinton/401 ramps, where two simple staircases and a elevator could lead down to a covered centre platform. That’d avoid some long signals. It’s too bad this wasn’t done at Victoria Park/Eglinton Square on the east end.

Perhaps there’s a case even for the elevated section through the Eglinton Flats at Jane Street. But that’s even too much.

Back