Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The bus could even continue south of Bloor down South Kingsway and reach Lakeshore, if there is enough demand for service that crosses Bloor.
Considering today's demands for cross Bloor travel is zero and would remain low unless the Waterfront West LRT gets built. If the OL gets built according to plan with a good connection at Exhibition, this could be an alternative route downtown. I still think it's a little far stretch for riders to take such a route.

Maybe if Jane gets built as a LRT with a streetcar section down South Kingsway and then continue as a branch of Waterfront West LRT to Exhibition connecting to OL, that might be more attractive. This will run into the gauge problem. Still it is very hard to justify frequent service on South Kingsway.

Considering today's demands for cross Bloor travel is zero and would remain low unless the Waterfront West LRT gets built. If the OL gets built according to plan with a good connection at Exhibition, this could be an alternative route downtown. I still think it's a little far stretch for riders to take such a route.

Maybe if Jane gets built as a LRT with a streetcar section down South Kingsway and then continue as a branch of Waterfront West LRT to Exhibition connecting to OL, that might be more attractive. This will run into the gauge problem. Still it is very hard to justify frequent service on South Kingsway.

Unless it was run as an express down to The Queensway. Maybe just one stop at Morningside Avenue.

What is the city of Toronto's obsession with on street LRT which may even have to stop for red lights like we see with streetcars and I wouldn't be surprised if the new Eglinton and Finch LRT is like this. They hate elevated transit considering the hit piece we saw against elevated transit for the Eglinton West extension. It's either undeground through surburban industrial areas or on street LRT. They can't think of anything else.

Globe and Mail: Apparently, the construction of freeways is not as bad for the planet as building the Scarborough subway extension or Line 5 Eglinton.

Not quite.

There is such a thing as a bad transit project. These two will eat huge amounts of capital and deliver very little benefit. Much like the Gardiner East

Even if there is no current service demand in specific places like the South Kingsway, one must look beyond such small minded, local thinking. What Toronto sorely lacks is network connectivity, system redundancy, and effective alternate rapid transit route options to serve the needs of the greater whole. In this context, even seemingly irrelevant places such as the South Kingsway are more important than they seem in terms of the bigger picture.

How often have we seen the subway system grind to halt, causing chaos for commuters? It's happening with increasing frequency. A full DRL would provide a nice alternative to lines 1 and 2, but so would a connected Jane LRT and Waterfront LRT if they existed, instead of helplessly stranding thousands of people during rush hour overloading sidewalks in freezing weather, trying to jam them onto buses like some third tier Brazilian city. It's humiliating to witness.

Toronto could and should do better.

Are there any plans in the long term to convert the Mississauga Transitway to Square One from BRT to LRT and rebrand it as line 5? Is it feasible?

It was built with conversion to LRT in mind, but that is still very far in the future. Ottowa took over 30 years before needing to convert. And that is only because of their downtown segment overloading with busses. Mississauga doesn't really have that problem at the moment.

If it converts to LRT, it's more likely to be part of the Hurontario line more than Line 5. Most of the route is within Missausaga's border. Another reason is that the transitway is proposed to be extended to Kipling station.

It was built with conversion to LRT in mind, but that is still very far in the future. Ottowa took over 30 years before needing to convert. And that is only because of their downtown segment overloading with busses. Mississauga doesn't really have that problem at the moment.

If it converts to LRT, it's more likely to be part of the Hurontario line more than Line 5. Most of the route is within Missausaga's border. Another reason is that the transitway is proposed to be extended to Kipling station.

If it was part of Line 5, with the Eglinton East LRT extension, I think the Crosstown would become a contender for the longest LRT in north america.

Although it would need to be re-branded the CrossGTA.

If it was part of Line 5, with the Eglinton East LRT extension, I think the Crosstown would become a contender for the longest LRT in north america.

I think Scarborough could benefit from a one seat ride to Mississauga city center so they can take notes on how you don't need to have a subway to boom and you shouldnt use not having a subway as a crutch for why developers have avoided you like the plague.

It already is at a total of 48km with the east and west extensions. Only other LRT lines I can think of that is longer than this is the LA Gold line, Orange line in Dallas and St Louis's Red line.

Last edited:
It already is at a total of 48km with the east and west extensions. Only other LRT lines I can think of that is longer than this is the LA Gold line, Orange line in Dallas and St Louis's Red line.
And those aren't conventional Light Rail, they're the commuter rail/interurban hybrid of light rail that's more associated with regional rail.

Right... but I was saying WITH the transitway added. Why would you ignore that and then compare other lines to the eglinton east/west line and say its shorter than that.

That would be like me talking to the worlds tallest man and being like "yeah but at 12 years old you were only 6 feet tall and there are taller people than that" ...

Back