Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Noticed trees have or are being cut down on both sides of Eglinton Avenue West, west of Scarlett Road and east of the pedestrian bridge. Don't like them chipping the wood, when they could be recycling them into benches, tables, or other wooden products.

From link.

Wood chips are multifunctional and have many uses. Here are the best uses for wood chips from a chipper:
  1. Mulch for landscaping
  2. Composting
  3. Covering up mud
  4. Grilling and smoking foods
  5. Creating pathways
  6. Animal bedding
  7. Playground cushioning
  8. Starting a fire
  9. Erosion control
  10. Building raised beds
  11. Growing mushrooms

Who wants to place some bets that the guardrails will either:

a) Be cheapened to grey or,
b) Metrolinx consultants will recommend the colours be changed to grey to make the guideway match subway aesthetics

I'm wagering A, but B is definitely very possible.
Must be one of the 50 shades of grey to fit into Toronto's overall colour scheme.

In the meantime, I hope the 32 Eglinton West between Mt. Dennis Station and Renforth Station, after Line 5 opens and before the Eglinton West LRT opens, will have improved headway times. Currently, the 10-12 minutes is slow, especially when a bus does not show up on time or is missing.

Who wants to place some bets that the guardrails will either:

a) Be cheapened to grey or,
b) Metrolinx consultants will recommend the colours be changed to grey to make the guideway match subway aesthetics

I'm wagering A, but B is definitely very possible.
Yeah I'm definitely not getting excited about this yet :/ My bet would be for both

Minister Mulroney mentioned the province is actively working on extending the EGWLRT to the Pearson Airport on her last insta post... Imagine Ford were to announce an extension of the EGWLRT right before the election? That would be a crazy power move.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ca5oJV1Jxdh/?utm_medium=copy_link
Looks like the post was deleted. Honestly, the extension really needs to move forward ASAP to “complete” the west part of the LRT.

In the meantime, I hope the 32 Eglinton West between Mt. Dennis Station and Renforth Station, after Line 5 opens and before the Eglinton West LRT opens, will have improved headway times. Currently, the 10-12 minutes is slow, especially when a bus does not show up on time or is missing.
It got "temporary" removed from the 10 min network. I really don't see it improving beyond 8-10 min headway in offpeak. They currently need around 18-22 min from Black Creek to Renforth. They could run 5 buses every 10 min or 6 bus every 8 minutes.

Hopefully they can significantly improve peak headways to 5-6 minutes. That would need 11 buses for every 6 min as running time approaches 28-30 min in PM rush. This doesn't even include the additional time needed for Eg West construction which would push it to 15 buses to maintain this level of service. I could see that running time could approach 45 min with all the congestion around construction sites. That would pretty much drive away all the ridership as it has on the central Eglinton portion. It would be nice if they ran a branch of 52 into Mount Dennis for those who want to bypass the construction mess on Eg West.

32A itself used to operate at 4'45" in AM rush in Sept 2013. It was at 7'00" by Feb 2020 before the pandemic. Now at 9'30" which is half as much service as 2013. It's sad to see service evaporate like this.

Canadian Open is coming back this summer, PGA Tour commissioner says

From link.

The 2022 edition, set for St. George’s Golf and Country Club in Etobicoke, should be good to go.

If there was any lingering doubt about this year’s RBC Canadian Open being on the PGA Tour’s schedule this summer, commissioner Jay Monahan has put that to rest.

“It’s coming back,” Monahan told the Star on Wednesday. “You take something away for two years and your appreciation for it grows and, for (the PGA Tour), our excitement for being at the RBC Canadian Open is as high as it’s ever been.”

The Canadian Open was cancelled in 2020 and 2021 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It was the only PGA Tour event to go two years without being contested.

But with recent announcements from the City of Toronto on the return of festivals and a reduction in COVID-19 restrictions coming from other levels of government, the 2022 edition, set for St. George’s Golf and Country Club in Etobicoke, should be good to go.

“ “We love that environment, our players love that environment, and when you have a rich history like the game of golf has in Canada it just recreates a really special atmosphere,” Monahan said.

Golf Canada this week announced its 2022 championship schedule, 20 professional and amateur events that represent its first full schedule since 2019.

“We left 2019 on this incredible high,” Golf Canada CEO Laurence Applebaum said. “I know (Monahan) and his leadership team have been so supportive of everything we’ve done with the tournament and we’re looking forward to bringing it back in every dimension we’ve got going.

“The feeling and the energy from golfers, clubs, and the media … it’s just off the charts.”

Rory McIlroy won the last Canadian Open by seven shots at Hamilton Golf and Country Club in 2019.

The CP Women’s Open is also set to return after a two-year absence on the LPGA Tour. It is scheduled for Aug. 25-28 at the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club.

Set for St. George’s Golf and Country Club in Etobicoke, near Eglinton & Islington. Near the Eglinton West LRT. Oh wait. The LRT is not there yet. Will have to use the bus to get there.

Maybe the 32A Eglinton West will return to the 10-minute headway, which it isn't at the moment.

Perhaps the current Airport rocket would stop at Renforth which may make the bus more crowded so they'll have to run them more often.

Perhaps the current Airport rocket would stop at Renforth which may make the bus more crowded so they'll have to run them more often.
Or simply extend the 32A into Pearson Airport itself from Renforth Station, after picking up transfers from the 112 West Mall bus.

1646934750378.png

Last edited:
There are a lot more pictures in the survey regarding the elevated section:
near_emmett_avenue_looking_east.jpg

west_of_jane_street_looking_east.jpg

scarlett_portal1.png

scarlett_portal2.png

ecwe-janeportal1.png

ecweopportunity1.jpg

Hopefully they realize that needs to be some form of wire fence and not glass or some form of plexiglass. I realize they would prefer plexiglass or something similar because it would combine visibility with sound attenuation, but unfortunately way too many people who don't respect property ownership have spray cans, so we can't have nice things.

On the topic of the elevated section. I really think they should be trying to minimize the total number of piers. I'm sure we can use just 1 pier instead of 2 for the wide sections with 3 tracks west of Jane, or right after the stations when the tracks are separated due to the centre platform.

Something like this (My amazing armchair work in Paint):
1647275664189.png

Instead of:
1647275642475.png

Back