Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Or 60+ years if you look at Danforth! :) (it's certainly progressing faster these days though)

Only 50 more years or so and Sheppard may explode with development!

I think it's time we stop looking at subways as necessary for growth and intensification. We have so many examples of it not happening (and certainly not happening well).

🙄 I think the drama of having to walk a few minutes to interchange stations is overblown. Of course quick and convenient interchanges are ideal, but Union station is a great example how a 10-15 min walk isn't a deterrent to taking transit.

The other factor is that a short walk between platforms spreads out the crowd.
I suspect that a cross-platform transfer has the potential to create a dangerous overcrowding situation if a train picking up passengers is delayed and pasengers are piled onto the platform.

I suspect that a cross-platform transfer has the potential to create a dangerous overcrowding situation if a train picking up passengers is delayed and pasengers are piled onto the platform.

You can avoid it by being extra generous with platform space and circulation, and being able to hold an incoming train if there is platform congestion.

AoD

A bad station design to deal with issues from your unreliable system seems very appropriate for Toronto

So I have been doing some research on the Richview Expressway and when it was binned, Metro Toronto looked at widening Eglinton Avenue and running an LRT line elevated above the middle of the road. Found these little drawings which would be from the 1970's around the time the TTC was still working on the original vision for the Scarborough RT and Etobicoke RT using linked together CLRV's. Maybe we would have also had an Eglinton RT (with it almost certainly connecting to the Etobicoke RT).

dccb45452f146598890efac03fb6682f.png

d07bc15ada1ad4bd080320a3ca111d96.png

Back in 2008, before the Ford brothers invaded Transit City, they didn't have time to decide on how the Jane LRT would be constructed over its entire length.

jane-stops-jpg.28173
From link.

Eglinton Flats is in a flood plain. Putting the Jane LRT underground would be costly. To save on construction costs, the Jane LRT should go to the surface at Eglinton Flats (and maybe Black Creek, at Alliance Avenue).

1645997763941.png
From link.

With the Eglinton West LRT being elevated going through Eglinton Flats, likely they'll have to raise the Jane LRT right-of-way above the flood plain, as well. It would still be under the elevated Eglinton LRT guide-way. Likely, the Jane LRT would be on the surface north of Lawrence Avenue West or Wilson Avenue, and underground south of them. Except for the Eglinton Flats and maybe at Alliance Avenue (Black Creek), where the right-of-way could get to the surface.

An track intersection maybe needed at Eglinton and Jane for the LRV's to access the Mt. Dennis Maintenance & Storage Facility. Provision should be made for the future Jane LRT and track intersection.

Back