Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

That's why I think LRT would attract more people as a local line while the have RER to reinforce the crosstown travels. Instead everyone wants subways to be the middle ground while being ideal to nobody. Locals would take 15 mine to get to a startion while it'll still take an hour to get from one end to the other
If you want really local transit, that's what busses are for. There's a reason we run busses on Yonge Street despite the Yonge Line being a thing. My main issues with LRTs is that they're being pushed as subway lines, when at best they act as replacements for busses. There is no reason why Finch West should show up on the TTC as "Line 6" when its a glorified streetcar route.

Your logic doesn't make sense. It's only a 'crosstown' if you remove all the stations? Note that duffo specifically wrote 'major intersections.

I think a better barometer is the fact that it truly does go from one end of the city to the other. That is what makes it a 'crosstown'. The speed of service, number of stops, and technology are not relevant to the definition.

View attachment 289222
Technically, you can 'crosstown' on foot. If time has nothing to do with it.

If you want really local transit, that's what busses are for. There's a reason we run busses on Yonge Street despite the Yonge Line being a thing. My main issues with LRTs is that they're being pushed as subway lines, when at best they act as replacements for busses. There is no reason why Finch West should show up on the TTC as "Line 6" when its a glorified streetcar route.
Yea I think that has to do with the larger stop spacing north of Eglinton. There's a reason we don't run busses along Bloor and Danforth despite the Bloor-Danforth Line being a thing.

Technically, you can 'crosstown' on foot. If time has nothing to do with it.
Yes, thank you for proving my point. I had attached the definition of the word if you want to double-check. The crosstown part of the Eglinton Line 5 is only branding.

Kind of a ridiculous debate in the first place, since few people on this line would be using it to travel from Etobicoke to Scarborough in the first place. How many people are travelling from Kipling to Kennedy (or Islington to Warden) on Line 2? I'd suppose not many. If that's the kind of travel demographic we're targeting, we need to build a regional rail line. A single line cannot be everything to everyone, simultaneously serving local (<5 km) and regional travel needs

It's not ridiculous if many people actually do it. I used to live at Old mill and used to go to Main St to visit family all the time as one example. I also have been to Scarborough Town Center but it is not a regular commute. I see a lot of people going from one end to the other on Line 2. Also, there are not any rapid transit routes to take you from one side of the city to the other. The Eglinton bus takes forever. If you try to take the GO train, you might wait an hour or 2 for the train. So people will just take the Bloor line if it is close enough. I would not be surprised that people would go from Finch to Union (which was technically a line) to catch a GO or VIA train.

Last edited:
That's why I think LRT would attract more people as a local line while the have RER to reinforce the crosstown travels. Instead everyone wants subways to be the middle ground while being ideal to nobody. Locals would take 15 mine to get to a startion while it'll still take an hour to get from one end to the other
If it is meant as local service, all the more absurd that it is underground and that it is to go on to Pearson. Pearson is a regional destination, not a local one.

Not to mention a haphazard line where half of it is off the road, and the other half is on the road.

I really wished they grade separated it out to Don Mills, since that's a natural terminal that could be used to short-turn trains between there and Pearson. It will be interesting to see them maintain their supposed 2-3 minute frequency (don't quote me on this, i am working from memory) on the underground section while the overground has something like 5 minute headways, without it getting jammed on the overground section because there is no serious signal priority (only green if a train is running late, otherwise it sits at a red) and the closer stop spacing slowing down that part of the line. Not that I think that part of the line is bad for being at street level, but it seems like it would be a challenge to mix operations between the extensive 'subway' that is the central and west sections and the surface section in the east. *Especially since they don't want to give us proper signal priority* But idk 🤷‍♀️

This decision is very troubling. It would do serious damage to a vibrant neighbourhood and Queen Street East main street that will be struggling as is after COIVD dare I say. Is this decision political?
Lol tf?

The Ontario Line is running on the sides of the existing GO Line, not plowing a new ROW through the heart of the city.

Lol tf?

The Ontario Line is running on the sides of the existing GO Line, not plowing a new ROW through the heart of the city.
Not to mention the fact the line will run on literally the border of Leslieville. The line doesn't even head straight into the heart of the neighborhood.

1608336015421.png

I get the feeling people anywere would be livid if the new subway extension was being run above ground through their neighbourhood.

Especially when it's unnecessary.

Back