Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

@WislaHD, how do tall buildings in Humber Bay Shores make no sense from a transit planning perspective?

It only makes no sense from a transit planning perspective I feel. But that isn't a Eau du Soleil problem, that is a Humber Bay Shores problem.

I feel transit is overstated at the expense of building great communities with all the necessarily amenities to make it great. The need to travel efficiently to and from work should not be THE primary concern. That's my beef with TOD. The focus is too much on higher densities around a rail station.

I feel transit is overstated at the expense of building great communities with all the necessarily amenities to make it great. The need to travel efficiently to and from work should not be THE primary concern.
On the contrary, I think it should be one of the bigger concerns. This is a large part of the reason we end up with communities that cant handle any sort of traffic, and they end up gridlocked for kilometers on end which make commutes much longer than they should be.

Take Humber Bay for example, a normal 10-15 minute commute downtown by car turns into a 30-40 minute fiasco. By transit you might as well budget at least an hour to get to the core due to the pathetic transit options around the area (which has essentially remained unchanged in the past 30 years when there was virtually no populous).

I'll add to the conversation that I stopped in to a Shoppers on the Queensway to the North of this development and noted that even in the middle of the day the plaza was all jammed up by cars. I envisioned how all those condo-dwellers probably drive over to the sparse commercial areas in the area for even basic goods and services. It's kind of like Sheppard Avenue, except worse with less options. Businesses will expand over time to accommodate new residents; however, in the lag period these issues are not irrelevant to the standard of living of the area residents.

On the contrary, I think it should be one of the bigger concerns. This is a large part of the reason we end up with communities that cant handle any sort of traffic, and they end up gridlocked for kilometers on end which make commutes much longer than they should be.

Take Humber Bay for example, a normal 10-15 minute commute downtown by car turns into a 30-40 minute fiasco. By transit you might as well budget at least an hour to get to the core due to the pathetic transit options around the area (which has essentially remained unchanged in the past 30 years when there was virtually no populous).

Improving transit connection in Humber Bay Shore doesn't change that it's a high rise residential resort subdivision lacking in most areas that define a great neighbourhood.

The skytrain in Vancouver has now been expanded to effectively connect all the TOD developments across the city. Still, those neighbourhoods leave alot to be desired and that includes a shift away from towers in a park to gigantic mall redevelopments.

Last edited:
The lack of transit, I meant.

High density + insufficient transit in area with only few access/exit points is a problem.
Yes, that is a problem, not helped by Metrolinx incompetence recently.

Getting a Humber Bay station added to Lakeshore West should be one of their highest priorities for station expansion owing to the huge population expansion here, and the chance to create a new transit hub for GO, the 66, 80, 501, and 508…

but instead (not an either/or situation, this is just underlining the nakedly broken a possibly corrupt exercise they just went though), Metrolinx decided that Kirby Road in Vaughan in the Minister of Transportation's riding was a better station to add. Now, tens of thousands of residents in a dense area that should have a 15 minute run to Downtown will continue to be stuck in traffic jams created by suburbanites driving into town, while slightly more-carbon footprint-conscious suburbanites (who will mostly drive to a giant, free parking lot*) get a new station out in the fields.

/rant when Metrolinx reverses this asinine, professionally demeaning decision.

*non-driving GO transit riders will be subsidizing that.

Great neighbourhoods aren't born overnight

How does that apply to Humber Bay Shores which has been in development for a good 15 years with 3000 or 4000 units already built? My point has less to with Humber Bay Shores. It's an appropriate spot for a resorty type Floridan atmosphere. I'm more concerned that nearly every TOD development across this nation is taking on the same form with high rise complexes substituted for lowrise subdivisions and, just because of train station, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:
Improving transit connection in Humber Bay Shore doesn't change that it's a high rise residential resort subdivision lacking in most areas that define a great neighborhood.
Humber Bay illustrates everything that's wrong with transit planning, infrastructure planning, and city planning in this city. The neighborhood is playing catch with every single aspect of city living, most notably: schools, electricity, and transportation.

October 16th, 2016

D70_2038.jpg

Attachments

• D70_2038.jpg
    D70_2038.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 816

Back