Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

Does anyone on here live in this area? Do you stay in the neighbourhood much? It just seems utterly dislocated from everything.

If lived in Palace Place for a few years. The area is utterly disconnected. The waterfront is nice, but if you want to be able to go to any shops, restaurants or services don't expect to be able to walk there.

If lived in Palace Place for a few years. The area is utterly disconnected. The waterfront is nice, but if you want to be able to go to any shops, restaurants or services don't expect to be able to walk there.

Interesting.. Was this over a decade ago? I walk to most of my day-to-day services. There are plenty of restaurants if you include Mimico and Sherway is a 5 minute drive on the Gardiner. Actually, in terms of a balance between suburban and urban living, there probably isn't a better area in the city. I can literally drive to every big box store available in Canada within 5 minutes.

And to the naysayers, yes I love big box stores. Huzzah for big box stores.

Interesting.. Was this over a decade ago? I walk to most of my day-to-day services. There are plenty of restaurants if you include Mimico and Sherway is a 5 minute drive on the Gardiner. Actually, in terms of a balance between suburban and urban living, there probably isn't a better area in the city. I can literally drive to every big box store available in Canada within 5 minutes.

Moved away around 5 years ago. Oh, there were plenty of restaurants and shops, but like you said, you generally needed to get in your car to access them. In terms of stuff you could actually walk to, there were the restaurants Eden Trattoria (nice) and Rocco (I never went to it), and for groceries there was a small Hasty Market. Otherwise there was a handful of drycleaners and doctor's offices. I would have liked to see a lot more restaurants with patios along the waterfront sides of the condos.

The fact you have to drive is of no consequence. What you suggest applies to most areas of the 905 too.

Past history suggests higher volatilityin the Humber Bay market which may have a lot with the disconnect suburban resort atmosphere that continue to this day. You! Re just lucky enough to have yet experience an actual downturn.

The fact you have to drive is of no consequence. What you suggest applies to most areas of the 905 too.

Past history suggests higher volatilityin the Humber Bay market which may have a lot with the disconnect suburban resort atmosphere that continue to this day. You! Re just lucky enough to have yet experience an actual downturn.

Of course we did, except we bought a condo for 230k in 1996 that is now worth 600k.

I feel that the downturn will be a lot smaller, because the resort now exists. Back then there were 3 condos in the entire strip and it really did feel disconnected and isolated. Upon full build out you will have 30-35 thousand people in that strip, with more shops, more services and more restaurants.

Please explain how this applies to the 905? Can I drive to downtown in 5 minutes from the 905? Do I have access to a full range of urban amenities within walking distance (if I so choose to walk)? Do I have access to an incredible network of waterfront parks and recreation options? No, no and no. There is nothing like it in the GTA. Not when you take into account the full offering of suburban amenities literally a few minutes out your door. Costco, Ikea, Cineplex, Sherway, Wal Mart, etc etc etc all a ~5 minute drive...

Last edited:
Downtown Oakville and downtown Burlington both have everything you listed, waterfront parks, urban amenities within walking distance, restaurants, bars etc.

No, these are all empty condos. They were built as show, no sales necessary.

The ~15k-20k people living there are robots.

Utterly dislocated? My dear friend, you don't understand convenience until you live here.

Ah yes.. Mimico and its ghetto blocks. Yes, please live in one of those apartment buildings, I promise your hipster sensibilities will move out of there in ~1 week after putting up with what those people put up with.

Yes, we drive, but that's due to how easy it is to get everywhere by car (including and especially downtown) vs taking the TTC. This is more of a failure in transit than there something being aggregately wrong with those of us who live here.

My dream is the wholesale gutting of Mimico. Probably going to happen in the next 10 years.

Of course we did, except we bought a condo for 230k in 1996 that is now worth 600k.

I feel that the downturn will be a lot smaller, because the resort now exists. Back then there were 3 condos in the entire strip and it really did feel disconnected and isolated. Upon full build out you will have 30-35 thousand people in that strip, with more shops, more services and more restaurants.

Please explain how this applies to the 905? Can I drive to downtown in 5 minutes from the 905? Do I have access to a full range of urban amenities within walking distance (if I so choose to walk)? Do I have access to an incredible network of waterfront parks and recreation options? No, no and no. There is nothing like it in the GTA. Not when you take into account the full offering of suburban amenities literally a few minutes out your door. Costco, Ikea, Cineplex, Sherway, Wal Mart, etc etc etc all a ~5 minute drive...

Different strokes. I however have the ability to access anything I want by foot or bicycle (no 5 minute drive caveat). Convenient? Perhaps. Urbane? Not even close.

I was looking at this area and saw some units in the Nautilus when I was looking for a place last year and really liked it. While there isn't alot of shopping thats walking distance, there is definitely alot of places that are within a 5-10 minute drive. Also, the surrounding lakefront provide great walking/running trails and paths.

5-10 minutes in no traffic, which between 6am and 9pm is almost never.

I've done it plenty of times betweek 6am -9pm. I'm talking about places like the stores and shops on the Queensway by Islington, as well as Sherway Gardens. Easily within 10 minutes drive. Theres also a Sobeys thats about a 10 minute walk from the Nautilus.

Metro and retail at Westlake should dampen all this "no stores within walking distance" talk.

Yawn. Metro and all that boring chain retail is what makes Toronto dull. I'll take my Junction strip of cool coffee shops any day over your generic "New cheese" condos.

Also on my walk to the Junction strip I have dozens of interesting side streets to walk on whilst down in HumByawn you have nothing interesting to look at!

Last edited:

Back