News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

I told a friend that Pusateri’s in HBC had reopened based on a pic I snapped at the end of June. She found it still closed and a September reopening date listed.
View attachment 257471
Updated sign...
47056A2F-21CE-456A-A108-A522B67CD1DF.jpeg

Wow, that's a big delay.

The date chosen has an obvious negative for them, missing the big Christmas shopping season. (they do good food as gift trade as well as supplying for high-end dinners.)

That said, I'm assuming (don't know) that they chose that date as that is when the wage subsidy program ends.

Probably also because a lot of office workers aren't expected to go back into the office until 2021. Although Jan 2021 is probably optimistic for that.

If Pusateri's are trying to time their reopening with when the bulk of PATH office workers are returning, then January 2021 is a bit unrealistic IMO. The upcoming period of Covid severity is still TBD, and it'll also be heading towards the core winter months at that point. So companies may want to keep their employees at home anyways.

Spring may be more practical, but in terms of in office staff volumes I also wouldn't be surprised if it takes until next Autumn, factoring in that Summer is typically a common vacation period.

Last edited:
The date chosen has an obvious negative for them, missing the big Christmas shopping season. (they do good food as gift trade as well as supplying for high-end dinners.)

Assuming we have a normal big Christmas shopping season. There won't be many gatherings over the holidays this year. No need to pick up that fruit cake before visiting the relatives. I hope 2020 is the end of fruit cake.

Assuming we have a normal big Christmas shopping season. There won't be many gatherings over the holidays this year. No need to pick up that fruit cake before visiting the relatives. I hope 2020 is the end of fruit cake.

I intend to do most of my Christmas shopping online rather than go in store. I find the selection online is better than in store anyway.

I am actually heading to Eddie Bauer over the noon hour to try on a jacket I want to buy at Eddie Bauer. They do not have the color I want in store but they do have it online in my size.

You bring fruitcake to my Christmas dinner and you are so dis-invited!

If I wanted a door stop, I'd buy a door stop! But I am not going to pretend I want to eat one!

Yesterday I went to the eaton centre for the first time since before covid, getting there shortly before it opened. Except for the line at Apple, the mall was fairly empty but I was surprised at how many people, including employees, had their masks hanging below their face or weren't wearing them at all. Nobody was reminding people to mask up. I never see this at my local grocery or drug stores.

I was in a couple of small towns in Ontario recently. I find shop owners are much stricter about enforcing the limited number of people in their shop at one time than they are in larger centres and people are great about masking up. They don't want the city folk bringing COVID to their little towns!

Yesterday I went to the eaton centre for the first time since before covid, getting there shortly before it opened. Except for the line at Apple, the mall was fairly empty but I was surprised at how many people, including employees, had their masks hanging below their face or weren't wearing them at all. Nobody was reminding people to mask up. I never see this at my local grocery or drug stores.
The Samsung Store and Canadian Tire have quite a lineup, though not as long as the Apple Store's.

I've been in a mall once since COVID - and it had similar issues as voiced above. Something about malls seem to attract people who don't care much about COVID rules. Caught me off guard as people have been much better in day to day locations like grocery stores, the LCBO, etc.

Reactions: mgl
Jo Malone will be opening in the former Links of London location on Level 3.
Free People on Level 2 slowly removed all their product last month and shut down.
Downstairs on Level 1, Auntie Anne's Pretzels, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Freshii, Microsoft Store, L'attitudes Salon, NYX Cosmetics and Toys Toys Toys are all gone. Bluenotes has re-opened again in the former RW & Co. location, now with an Aeropostale collaboration. Is this the 3rd or 4th time they've closed and re-opened in the mall? I remember when it was Thrifty's way back in the day.

Innisfree has closed on Level 2, as they are shutting all their standalone stores in Canada. Down the hall, UNOde50 has packed up all their goods and showcases. I'm not sure if they are re-locating or closing for good.

On Level 1, Tokyo Smoke will be opening in the former Toys Toys Toys location.

Back