Toronto East Lofts Condos | ?m | 12s | Harhay | a—A

I've sent those beautiful, wonderful, reassuring updates to my own developer to use as a template suggestion as they're such a simple thing to prepare and a great way to keep the buyer involved. The response?

"Both the Facebook site and web site are updated with construction photos on a regular if not weekly basis – that is a pretty “live” update. We have also been more than open and generous with respect to our ongoing progress compared to many other builder’s in this industry."

This is coming from a company that hasn't had written correspondence with it's purchasers in over a year and only contacted them to extend their EV date 4 times in the 2-3 years prior...or in other words "Go F*** yourself, you're an idiot for suggesting such a thing". God it's so sad how bad developers are at this shit and how we put up with it.

EAST is lucky...and a great looking building. I really hope mine looks this good, that would at least be nice.

who did you buy from + which project?

Wow

The views from that West facing Penthouse's living room must be incredible !

Love the glass on all 3 sides of that unit....and love how the west facing wall looks 20 feet tall.

As for earlier comments about the 7th floor concrete detailing over the balcony...I thinks it looks amazing...it really makes the building look less ordinary than a typical "box on top of a box" design. Not to mention it defines the terraces spacially and provides some privacy instead of leaving the tenants viewable from anyone on the street.

Attachments

• East and Abbey lane.jpg
    East and Abbey lane.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 447
  • East from southwest.jpg
    East from southwest.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 437
  • East from Visitor Parking.jpg
    East from Visitor Parking.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 480
The view facing west

The views from that West facing Penthouse's living room must be incredible !

Love the glass on all 3 sides of that unit....and love how the west facing wall looks 20 feet tall.

As for earlier comments about the 7th floor concrete detailing over the balcony...I thinks it looks amazing...it really makes the building look less ordinary than a typical "box on top of a box" design. Not to mention it defines the terraces spacially and provides some privacy instead of leaving the tenants viewable from anyone on the street.

The West facing penthouse is still available for sale. I was in that unit a couple of weeks ago, you are correct the view is amazing. Here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 431
Thanks...

The West facing penthouse is still available for sale. I was in that unit a couple of weeks ago, you are correct the view is amazing. Here is a picture

...For posting that truly beautiful picture. I'm surprised that this unit has not been snapped up yet.

Blocked views

I'm not. What person would buy a penthouse (million plus dollars I reckon) knowing that Badhouse will eventually block all the views?

Bauhaus will be in court for quite awhile and then would take years to complete even if it did go ahead...that's a long way off....lots of time to enjoy the view. Moreover, you could make the same arguement of any condo purchase...that maybe soon a new building will go up and block your view...happens all the time...can't live in fear of that. We live in downtown Toronto, eventually any good real estate is going to be snapped up and developed. Also, that unit has unobstructed views on 3 sides....losing one 5 years from now is not the end of the world.

Toronto Sun Building for sale

Bauhaus will be in court for quite awhile and then would take years to complete even if it did go ahead...that's a long way off....lots of time to enjoy the view. Moreover, you could make the same arguement of any condo purchase...that maybe soon a new building will go up and block your view...happens all the time...can't live in fear of that. We live in downtown Toronto, eventually any good real estate is going to be snapped up and developed. Also, that unit has unobstructed views on 3 sides....losing one 5 years from now is not the end of the world.
I heard that the Toronto Sun building located east of East Lofts was for sale. Does anyone know if it sold and if so to whom?

I heard that the Toronto Sun building located east of East Lofts was for sale. Does anyone know if it sold and if so to whom?

Apparently it is sold and its FirstGulf, if these sources are correct.

http://torontosunfamily.blogspot.com/

Re the sale of 333: The Toronto Star has quoted sources saying the new owner of the 34-year-old newspaper building "is likely Toronto developer First Gulf, a division of the company that recently purchased the 1 Bloor condominium site in Toronto."

With the sale of 333 and the Sun becoming a tenant in the building it built in 1975, what becomes of the Andy Donato mural on the wall of Red's cafeteria and John and Alexandra Hood's 180-foot-wide commissioned outdoor mural unveiled in 1993?

Then read this:

http://torontosunfamily.blogspot.com/2009/11/333-sale-changes.html

Tuesday, November 17, 2009
333 sale changes

The sale price and identity of the new owners of the Toronto Sun building have not been released, but employees learned yesterday how "massive changes" will affect their working lives.

Rob Granatstein, editorial page editor, sent a mass e-mail to editorial employees updating last week's announcement by publisher Mike Power that 333 King Street East has been sold.

In a nutshell, the newsroom will be moved to tighter quarters on the second floor, where it will share space with executive, accounting and advertising; Red's cafeteria, named for Doug Creighton, will be closed; free parking for employees will be drastically reduced.

Rob's e-mail reads:

"Staff,

It’s come to my attention that many people aren’t aware of the announcement made last week by Sun Publisher Mike Power that our building has been sold.

Here’s the grossly abbreviated summary.

* The Sun has sold the building.

* The buyer’s name has not been released yet as there are still conditions attached to the sale of the deal.

* The Toronto Sun is not moving. We’ve signed a 10-year lease to stay in the building.

* There will be massive changes now that we’re becoming a tenant.

* First, all Sun operations – executive, accounting, advertising - will join us on the second floor.

* The newsroom will be moving. The exact location isn’t clear, but we expect to move to the north side of the building.

* The newsroom will be the first to move. A new digital newsroom, likely costing well into the millions of dollars, will be built for us, including new furniture. Say goodbye to the ’80s-era desk you have now.

* The physical space of the newsroom will be far smaller than the footprint we have in the building now.

* The newsroom’s move will be done by the end of March, according to the schedule we have now.

* As a tenant we won’t have the same access to parking. We will have some spots, but not all the spots.

* The cafeteria will be closed.

* The presses will be removed.

* The library is staying where it is.

* Retail shops will likely move into the main floor on King St.

* Commercial offices will move into the building, too.

* Expect the building to become a huge construction site as the new owners change 333 King from a one tenant newspaper building into a building for many other uses.

* A sale price for the building has not been released.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me, James Wallace, or ask Mike Power directly. He stated he can’t answer all the questions will (sic) the sale of the building is not yet final, but will answer what he can.

Rob."

We never thought the day would come when the Toronto Sun would be a tenant at 333, downsized from six full floors to one floor, with no presses, no cafeteria and minimal parking.

Employees who lose their cherished free parking spots inside and around 333 will be looking at costly daily parking fees if they decide to continue driving to work. What is the going daily rate for downtown T.O. parking these days?

Outside meals will also add to the cost of working for the Sun.

Will the added costs be a union issue when the next contract rolls around?

As a tenant, the Toronto Sun has a 10-year lease, which is mighty optimistic considering 10 years of Quebecor ownership has reduced the once thriving tabloid to a storefront operation.

Most disheartening is the sale of 333 is not out of necessity due to tough economic times. This is minimalist, cash cow greed on the backs of employees.

PKP might be a hero to shareholders, but he has never looked so small in the eyes of his employees.

Toronto Sun employees will no doubt carry on doing the best they can with what they have left because they are pros.

Then this:

Sun Newspaper

I feel bad for the SUN employees...the changes for them really suck. However, more retail on King East instead of seeing a staff cafeteria is a welcome change. It always seemed weird looking at some of the most beautiful design store windows and then suddenly coming across people eating their lunches in a lunchroom.

Expiration date on views facing east

Apparently it is sold and its FirstGulf, if these sources are correct.

http://torontosunfamily.blogspot.com/

Re the sale of 333: The Toronto Star has quoted sources saying the new owner of the 34-year-old newspaper building "is likely Toronto developer First Gulf, a division of the company that recently purchased the 1 Bloor condominium site in Toronto."

Then this:
Thanks for the update. I would imagine that if part of the site were to be redeveloped, it would be where the old printing presses are located at the north end of the site. My unit faces east so I will be nervously watching for a public notice of application for rezoning. Hope the expiration date on my view is at least 10 years away.

Thanks for the update. I would imagine that if part of the site were to be redeveloped, it would be where the old printing presses are located at the north end of the site. My unit faces east so I will be nervously watching for a public notice of application for rezoning. Hope the expiration date on my view is at least 10 years away.

Interesting to hear more of the details on this, thanks. I also own a suite in East facing east so it will be interesting to see how this shapes up.

I would assume though that if a developer has bought the entire site, that they will (eventually) be redeveloping the entire site -- not just the printing press area. Its an enormous site for redevelopment so I can understand why it would be attractive to a developer, and you can bet that no developer would be afraid to tear down the existing three story office building (presumably no underground parking) in order to put up condos with much greater density.

I'm not necessarily worried though just yet... it could be a great redevelopment. And I can't say that my current view -- overlooking acres of asphalt roofing to the existing Sun building -- is particularly charming... I'm cautiously optimistic for the future. I keep telling myself. ;-)

Back