Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

Is there really enough demand for 2 million sq.ft. of retail in this area?

Not today.

But this would be associated with the build out of more than 10Mft2 of new office space.

They're looking at 50,000+ jobs/workers.

That alone would sustain a fair bit of retail.

But lets also note that there will be vast new residential nearby with the full build-out of the West Donlands, and the Portlands.

I would also expect to see material intensification to the north and east along any R/L or Ontario Line route; and more modestly, along the Eastern Avenue corridor.

It's certainly an ambitious number, but it's not implausible.

Just to add to what @Northern Light mentioned above, this site will have excellent transit (Ontario Line, GO Lakeshore East, Broadview streetcar) + highway connectivity. The 2m sq ft of retail won't need to be supported just by the surrounding neighbourhoods -- it'll be a destination in itself, and easily accessible to the broader region. In a sense, I can see it being similar to Yorkdale, in that it does very well even with minimal local demand. Though in this case the 10m sq ft of office + high density residential next door will also help.

I see what you're saying, but there are new things coming to the area to attract people. There's a theatre/cultural facility, galleria and an eclectic, European vibe that just doesn't exist anywhere else in TO. It doesn't have to have a financial district or considerable office space to be considered a 'downtown', but it looks like a lot of retail will take place here as well as plazas, squares and intimate laneways. It would however compete with East Harbour for sure, because east harbour will be more of everything but with less residential units. In many photos, it does look like it is trying to incorporate a xmas market vibe similar to the distillery district, but In the west end, this could end up like another 'centre' for Toronto. (I.e. Potsdamer Platz in Berlin)
You're putting a lot of pressure on First Capital over at Humber Bay ;)

Well let's hope First Capital can do what every other developer has failed to do over in that area, because honestly the area desperately needs something to tie it all together. Humber Bay as it currently stands is just an incoherent mess of things.

As for East Harbour, i'm very skeptical of Cadillac Fairview in general, but hopefully they come up with a well thought out master plan.

As for East Harbour, i'm very skeptical of Cadillac Fairview in general, but hopefully they come up with a well thought out master plan.

Has Cadillac Fairview built anything since the artful installation of the MMA octagon cage on the roof of their Queen Street HQ?

Before CF logo installation.
emptyOctagon_crop_exact.jpg

Link

Isn’t ModernTO/ Toronto drastically cutting office space downtown? How will this affect East Harbour?

It won't.

That program is aimed to reduce space occupied by the City of Toronto government.

The City is not a current or prospective tenant of East Habour.

While one might wonder about the amount of office space that might come to market; much of the space being consolidated would be relatively small leases, much of it suburban; with much of the balance being currently city-owned buildings that may be freed up.

I would expect sites such as TTC HQ to go up for redevelopment; and those will either go to the private marketplace, much of it to become residential; or may be retained for affordable housing (or some combination of these).

Isn’t ModernTO/ Toronto drastically cutting office space downtown? How will this affect East Harbour?

ModernTO is a City of Toronto initiative to consolidate City-owned municipal office spaces. East Harbour is a private development project owned by Cadillac Fairview and is not in any way related to what the City has planned.

thanks for the info ^ I keep checking the East Harbour website but there is no info about the Design or anything else. Henning & Larsen was going to design it but w First Capital gone i’m anxious about it becoming any other bland development

Does anyone think that covid somehow threatens or significantly alters this proposal (i.e., reduces the demand for commercial space in the area)?

Does anyone think that covid somehow threatens or significantly alters this proposal (i.e., reduces the demand for commercial space in the area)?

In a word, "No"

Don't worry..........things are unfolding.........

Thank you. I hope you are right. As long as the project still goes ahead, I'll be happy. Think it will be excellent for the area. If some of the proposed commercial space becomes residential instead, that could also work. Was just wondering if covid will significantly alter/ cause them to revisit this plan. Everyone is talking about working from home but I still see several proposals for more commercial buildings downtown. I know TD is completing a massive tower at Simcoe and Front, and the CIBC square buildings look just about complete, to name only a couple.

Does the core keep adding commercial towers over the long run?

I hope the city keeps growing, especially the core. Covid has really paused things.

Thank you. I hope you are right. As long as the project still goes ahead, I'll be happy. Think it will be excellent for the area. If some of the proposed commercial space becomes residential instead, that could also work. Was just wondering if covid will significantly alter/ cause them to revisit this plan. Everyone is talking about working from home but I still see several proposals for more commercial buildings downtown. I know TD is completing a massive tower at Simcoe and Front, and the CIBC square buildings look just about complete, to name only a couple.

Does the core keep adding commercial towers over the long run?

I hope the city keeps growing, especially the core. Covid has really paused things.

Nothing is ever done, til it's done.

But based on what I know, there continues to be strong interest from a variety of companies, some currently in Toronto, some not, in locating significant office-based employment, in or near our downtown core.

I have no reason, at this time, to believe any of that has changed.

Some timelines might be pushed out by a few months or even a year or two.

Sooo,

While nothing is locked in, I wouldn't be concerned about lack of commercial development interest in Toronto for the time being.

What the future will bring; we'll know for sure when it's history.

Back