Toronto Discovery at Concord Park Place | ?m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

I expect it to be quite similar to City Place. Disconcerting to see that the large Canadian Tire surface parking lot will remain.

Canadian Tire can always apply in the future to put the lot into a structure and put up some multi-use thing above it. That land is not as valuable until Park Place is built up around it, so it makes sense for them to bide their time.

Looks like they are putting a tunnel under the GO line to connect the site to Leslie. Good thing as between Ikea, Canadian Tire and thousands of condos Sheppard is going to be a mess. Maybe the subway was a good idea after all.
ConcordParkPlace-July22,07(1).jpg

Phase one.
ConcordParkPlace-July22,07(2).jpg

ConcordParkPlace-July22,07(3).jpg

Little remains of the Canadian Tire warehouse.
ConcordParkPlace-July22,07(5).jpg

ConcordParkPlace-July22,07(7).jpg

ConcordParkPlace-July22,07(8).jpg

only one track? I've heard of such things but found it too hard to believe

Canadian Tire demolition is creating a perpetual dust cloud in the area.

IKEA has upgraded its complimentary jalopy into a complimentary mini-coach bus.

I was at Leslie station just after 5pm today and more than a hundred people accumulated on the platform within a couple of minutes. When the train arrived, all 4 cars were like '2 people sharing each pole' full. The 190 then left people behind at Don Mills and proceeded to get caught in gridlock for 10 minutes around Consumers. It was still standing room only when it got to STC 27 minutes later (a good trip is 18 minutes...anything faster than 18 and they wait at green lights to catch up to the schedule). This all isn't too bad, but Sheppard's going to be a lot busier when ParkPlace and all the other nearby construction is done.

If you build it they will come.... Sheppard is certainly proving this theory after a few years. Hopefully the York/VCC extension will eventually do the same - although it may take a lot longer to do so.

Anyone have any updates on this doo-dad, I know it's been under construction for a few months, but this thread has been dead for for almost as long as it has been under construction... Did you guys forget about it?? :confused:

If you build it they will come.... Sheppard is certainly proving this theory after a few years. Hopefully the York/VCC extension will eventually do the same - although it may take a lot longer to do so.

I agree, though York doesn't benefit from Sheppard's outstanding highway access. While the York U area will become much more accessible by transit, it will remain close to the most inaccessible place in the city by road. At rush hour, it's an hour and a half from downtown.

Not exactly transit-oriented development, take a look (notice the subway stations/GO stations distance from the density:

2074003210_43a678f92d.jpg

The highest densities are slated to go against the 401 - 37 storey buildings. If you look at this map, there is no effort to connect the development to Oriele GO nor is Leslie TTC accessible. Bessarion is hardly in play, either. What frustrates me about this development is how easily it could have been oriented to the subway system. One of the biggest flaws with the Sheppard Secondary Plan is how planners pushed the densities back to the 401 and kept the smallest on the "Avenue". This development reflects that but does not reflect teh City's "avenue" planning scope to bring streetlife/street wall to Sheppard. In fact, there is zero consideration for the pedestrian realm. When this project was launched it was hailed as a possible gem for transit-oriented development. This plan fails on every single measurable category. It is a shame, really.

I don't see the issue. There are two subway stops within walking distance. I would say that most people in the city have longer walks to the subway than contempated here. I know at Yonge and Eglinton, for example, most people (including myself) walk a longer distance to the subway (and without a shuttle bus!!!).

Back