Toronto Dawes Road Library Redevelopment | 16.45m | 4s | TPL | Perkins&Will

Renderings are updated in the database. Taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval.

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - APR 22  2022 (1)-2.jpg

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - APR 22  2022 (1)-3.jpg

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - APR 22  2022 (1)-4.jpg

Lots of changes here, particularly to the public realm, though some are still being negotiated. One can see the very clear impact the Design Review Panel had here; and that is very welcome.

From the Cover Letter:

1659116159509.png

1659116184324.png

1659116210529.png

1659116263409.png

Looking over the landscape plan, which I will post below..........I have some observations:

The Good:

Currently no street trees, there will be 5; trees are to be planted with Silva Cells; soil volumes are acceptable

The Bad:

For a project focused on indigenous-ness.......... 4/7 trees are not native. Though they seem to think Yellowood is native.....

Uh uh, no chance, native to the south-eastern U.S.

This is a map of its range:

1659116706660.png

1659117359304.png

I appreciate the idea of the bottle-filling station and dog bowl..........but find it odd that they wouldn't include a conventional drinking fountain fixture:

1659117553722.png

The façade is inspired by an Indigenous star blanket, which according to the Smoke Architecture website, “wraps the attention and support of our communities and ancestors around those doing excellent work that benefits the community. Here, it honours knowledge sharing between peoples…It clearly signals that this is a safe place for us to come to gather, share, and promote knowledge.”

To capture the flowing, organic shape of the blanket, the architects met with Indigenous groups and community members and they wrapped a felt blanket over a scale model before processing it through parametric design technology.

“We collaborated as a design assist with Zahner Metals out of Kansas City,” said Frontini. “They agreed to help us arrive at a really good, detailed costing for this unique envelope.”

“We reached out to them and they helped us really rationalize the cladding to minimize the number of one off components and make it as modular as possible and cut costs.”

The design includes complex curves at the front of the building that will be created using modular construction.

At the heart of the building is a new roundhouse, a circular gathering room that will host ceremonies for Indigenous communities and become a central space for knowledge sharing. The hub will also feature a makerspace, community kitchen, an outdoor courtyard and shelter space and a rooftop garden. Inside the library columned floor levels were incorporated as a nod to the Haudenosaunee longhouse.

---------
The project is currently in the latter part of the approvals stage. The team will be seeking permits soon with the hope to start construction by late summer 2023. The property currently houses the existing library with a two-storey condo on top.

“It will be demolished and a new three-storey building will go in its place,” Frontini said. “The condos have been vacant for some time.

“There are some structural integrity problems with the building and the library is very undersized.”

The scope of work includes the building proper and the remediation and creation of a new public realm at Dawes Road and Chapman Avenue. The building is a steel structure with composite steel and concrete floor slabs.

“We’ll be framing the exterior walls with steel stud and a rainscreen,” said Frontini. “The exterior envelope, the ‘blanket,’ is a zinc shingle cladding and then there will be elements of curtain wall glazing. We have about 35 per cent glazing. It’s quite a lot of solid envelope, just because it’s a high performance building.”

In terms of sustainability, the building is targeting net-zero operational carbon. The goal is to meet Toronto Green Standard Tier 2 and the Canada Green Building Council Zero Carbon Building – Design certification.

“We’re doing a lot with stormwater and water management on the site, creating a permeable surface, reintroducing native planting and we have the green roof component,” Frontini said. “We have a large PV array on the roof and the heating cooling system is through an air source heat pump and the building is fully electrified.”

AG-Dawes-Road-library-pic-mainweb.jpg

Looking at the renders above, and this text from the article:

1675191141264.png

And comparing it w/the streetview image below:

1675191093203.png

It would appear that the intent is to remove all the low-slung wires/cables, but the upper-tier will remain.

I would certainly prefer total burial here, but can't fail to admit that this is progress just the same.

This building is so reminiscent of KPMB’s Art Gallery of Nova Scotia

Hmmm, I'm not sure what was actually built for that (if it has been)............

But the preliminary submission didn't look that similar to me:

1675221393309.png

Did you have something else in mind?

Hmmm, I'm not sure what was actually built for that (if it has been)............

But the preliminary submission didn't look that similar to me:

View attachment 453601

Did you have something else in mind?
No that's the one I was referring to.

The opening on the corner, the round skylight above the entrance, and the “wrapper” facade I think are kinda similar. I swear to god they also had a one for one render of the gathering circle as this project. Its been a while since I looked through the images thought so who knows.

No thats the one I was referring to.

The opening on the corner, the round skylight above the entrance, and the “wrapper” facade I think are kinda similar. I swear to god they also had a one for one render of the gathering circle as this project. Its been a while since I looked through the images thought so who knows.

The very vertical fins give a different read to me; almost reminds me of a mini- 19 Duncan....

The tall everygreens are also a different take.

But I do see some similarities. But certainly not a carbon copy.

Back