Toronto Davisville Jr. Public School Redevelopment | 14.93m | 3s | Snyder Architects

Hey everyone. I wrote a fresh piece about this: a study by Giaimo and ERA Architects of how the old Davisville could have been saved. (Also: the rebuild budget has increased by 35 per cent, and counting.) https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...l-board-spending-extra-money-to-tear-down-an/
WHDJYHBHHNCPJJ44XOFWHVCTGY.jpg

Is it just me, or I don't see it as a big issue to spend extra money on a facility that houses school children and is expected to have a long life-span.

Being from the area, I have lots of friends who went to Davisville PS. The universal opinion is that the school was falling apart, its disrepair detracted greatly from their learning experience and their sense of safety and security, and they are happy to see the school being redeveloped. I would personally rather spend the extra money to get things done right, rather than to renovate an existing built structure that is clearly falling-apart.

Especially considering that the property sits on very valuable land adjacent to a subway station, and the current allocation of space and buildings on the land is perhaps not the most efficient for the neighbourhood (nor does their set-back from the street provide a particularly great or vibrant pedestrian experience on either Davisville or Millwood).

I guess, what I lament most is how penny-pinching we are in this city that we afraid to even spend a few extra million (which is a tiny rounding error to all three levels of government) to get a top-notch facility for school children in an area swelling with intensification and school-aged children. I understand accountability at the TDSB, but I worry that this sort of mentality detracts from our ability to attain greatness. (What is greatness? Up for debate, but I would point to the redevelopment of NTCI as an example of something done successful.)

The proposal looks superficially rather like...well a new school anywhere. The existing looks rather like a cool 50' or 60' Danish school. Having said that I know nothing about the current state of the school and have only driven or walked past it many times with admiration. The intensification is another issue in our growing city.

IThe universal opinion is that the school was falling apart, its disrepair detracted greatly from their learning experience and their sense of safety and security, and they are happy to see the school being redeveloped. I would personally rather spend the extra money to get things done right, rather than to renovate an existing built structure that is clearly falling-apart.

Lots of strange assumptions here. Where is the evidence that spending more money on a teardown and rebuild will produce a better result? Why talk about a building "falling apart" when what's at stake is a complete renovation?

Is it just me, or I don't see it as a big issue to spend extra money on a facility that houses school children and is expected to have a long life-span.
The TDSB has approximately a $2 Billion backlog of school repairs, right? I get why they pay attention to what schools cost. That said, perpetuating the current architectural expression here should not have been prohibitively expensive.

(nor does their set-back from the street provide a particularly great or vibrant pedestrian experience on either Davisville or Millwood).

Davisville'd be a schoolyard, not the building proper. The argument for saving the existing school was not premised on maintaining the Davisville-side schoolyard aspect as well.

Lots of strange assumptions here. Where is the evidence that spending more money on a teardown and rebuild will produce a better result? Why talk about a building "falling apart" when what's at stake is a complete renovation?
The jury is still out between renovation vs rebuild for long-term savings in the construction industry, I'll grant. What is self-evident however, is that a new build using modern construction methods will serve the needs of the community and the school children very well, whereas renovating the existing structure still leads to a host of issues that are inherent to the structure. To name two such issues, the classroom sizes are inadequate for the local population, and the layout of the built structure in relation to the surrounding streets and neighbourhood is not befitting for enhancing the urban realm.

From your article:
"And the cost has risen sharply. In 2016, the board had planned a capital expenditure of $14.5-million; a construction contract was awarded in September for $24,994,000, including a $5.3-million underground parking garage. That means the cost of the school alone is around $20-million, 35 per cent above the budget, plus another $1.27-million for demolition of the old building. The total, before any unexpected costs: Roughly $21-million. Giaimo and Andrew Pruss of ERA, estimate the old building could have been largely kept, and expanded, to accommodate all the same needs, for $18-million."​

We are penny-pinching over $3,000,000 dollars. Considering the amount of wasteful spending that goes on in this city, including the $3,800,000,000 dollar Scarborough Subway, I think I can live with my tax dollars going to ensure that this crucially important school is rebuilt properly to serve the needs of the local community well into the future.

(That $18,000,000 cost estimation of renovating the school is also before any unexpected cost escalations, which I'll hedge my bets and say are more likely to occur in an old, large, heritage structure that has fallen into disrepair over the years, than in a new build).

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate your article giving the alternative POV of complete renovation some limelight. These kinds of discussions are integral for developing civic discourse over local issues. I just lean towards the TDSB's side here because I am unconvinced that a renovation would serve the local community and the schoolchildren better than the rebuild.

Goodbye Davisville Public School. I will miss your piles of bricks so lovingly and expertly laid-up. Your beautiful lines. Those stairs. The coloured panels, I hope they found a good home. All of it. I heard the roof leaked and it was all very hopeless.

Attachments

• DSCF1747.JPG
    DSCF1747.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 413
To see an architecturally unique, publicly owned building reach the end of its life with no plan for revitalization, adaptation or repurposing is a real bureaucratic failure. Shouldn't Toronto Heritage have more control over public buildings? Where did they stand on this & why wasn't this building designated?

To see an architecturally unique, publicly owned building reach the end of its life with no plan for revitalization, adaptation or repurposing is a real bureaucratic failure. Shouldn't Toronto Heritage have more control over public buildings? Where did they stand on this & why wasn't this building designated?
Neither Heritage Toronto nor Heritage Preservation Services have a mandate to take over and programming potential public building heritage candidates. The former is a charitable agency that creates plaques, runs awards that recognize heritage themed work in the city, and they run neighbourhood tours. The latter is an underfunded branch of the Planning Department that's struggling to keep up with the listing and designation of buildings, and the study of potential new Heritage Conservation Districts.

If you're looking another agency to expropriate and assume control over aging schools and whatnot, I'd suggest a sit-down with your local MP. Parks Canada maybe?

Neither Heritage Toronto nor Heritage Preservation Services have a mandate to take over and programming potential public building heritage candidates. The former is a charitable agency that creates plaques, runs awards that recognize heritage themed work in the city, and they run neighbourhood tours. The latter is an underfunded branch of the Planning Department that's struggling to keep up with the listing and designation of buildings, and the study of potential new Heritage Conservation Districts.

If you're looking another agency to expropriate and assume control over aging schools and whatnot, I'd suggest a sit-down with your local MP. Parks Canada maybe?

That's an interesting idea re. Parks Canada. It may be the underfunding of HPS and the lack of a mandate of the Planning department to set priorities for designated buildings. If they can create, and set rules for Heritage Conservation Districts, I would think government-owned heritage buildings should also be within their purview.

That's an interesting idea re. Parks Canada. It may be the underfunding of HPS and the lack of a mandate of the Planning department to set priorities for designated buildings. If they can create, and set rules for Heritage Conservation Districts, I would think government-owned heritage buildings should also be within their purview.
They are. The problem is that city councillors at Community Council, led by Josh Matlow, chose to ignore a report from city heritage planners and allow the school board to demolish this. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...ding-is-headed-fordemolition/article33988584/

Back