Toronto Davisville Jr. Public School Redevelopment | 14.93m | 3s | Snyder Architects

What would become of the Metropolitan Toronto School for the Deaf and the Spectrum Alternative School located in the same building?
Hopefully there would be space to accommodate both of them in the rebuild.

What is even occupying the third floor of Eglinton PS now that Spectrum moved out? (A fact I learned of only recently)

A "treasure" of a Toronto school building is headed for demolition

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ding-is-headed-fordemolition/article33988584/

heritage-davisvilleFRONT.jpg

With the high cost of renovating the school and its lack of capacity, the TDSB wants to replace it with a new building. The new school will be built on Davisville Ave next to the existing one, which will then be torn down to make room for a schoolyard and driveway. I understand the need for a new building, but if the TDSB had any vision they would have recognized the architectural and heritage value of the old building, and have it reused for a different purpose. For example an alternative plan (see below photo) that's not being considered would have kept most of the existing building while still adding a new school. The tradeoff would be slightly less open space and a "much smaller driveway and dropoff zone". But accommodating cars in a high density community is more important to the TDSB. So much so that their plan calls for 16,000 square feet of driveway and parking for the new school. Insane.

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 1.57.27 PM.png

Attachments

• heritage-davisvilleFRONT.jpg
    heritage-davisvilleFRONT.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 811
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 1.57.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 1.57.27 PM.png
    481.1 KB · Views: 1,029
Last edited:
I think it is a matter of funds. The TDSB is financing this through the condo that will be coming to the site.

from the beginning, there was an assumption that the building was of no cultural value” - this is what the TDSB thinks of the building. The city's heritage staff were never consulted either. They dismissed concerns from community groups and heritage advocates. Regardless of the funding situation, when they feel that the building has no value then of course they're not gonna consider saving it.

As for the condo, I didn't see any mention of it in the article or in the site plan below. In fact a 2016 Globe article says that the TDSB received $14.7 M from the province for the new school, "which allowed the TDSB to take back the portion of the site offered to private condominium developers that would have raised funds for the new school and a much-needed community hub."

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 3.56.04 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 3.56.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 3.56.04 PM.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 939
Heritage value is great, but do we know what the building is like as a school? Is it an ideal place for kids to learn? I think that's the most important question, unless there is a way to retain the building for some other use.

Heritage value is great, but do we know what the building is like as a school? Is it an ideal place for kids to learn? I think that's the most important question, unless there is a way to retain the building for some other use.

That's what I was in favour of. By all means build a new school, but don't demolish the old one just to make room for driveways and parking lots. Keep it and find a different use for it.

That's what I was in favour of. By all means build a new school, but don't demolish the old one just to make room for driveways and parking lots. Keep it and find a different use for it.
It would be a great thing to keep, not just for the sake of heritage (which is very important) but also as a communal hub. It could hold many uses, like a shelter/hostel, or a community centre (although idk if they need a communal centre), or a daycare centre, or hell some affordable-ish housing!

Have any of you actually been in this school building before? It's an elementary school with daycare facility,.... it's built for little people, everything in it is small, low ceiling height,... thus, converting it into some type of community hub for adults would be expensive,... the entire interior might have to be gutted. And as for a shelter/hostel next to an elementary school,.... that's not a good idea,.... and folks around this neighbourhood would be freaking if a homeless shelter/hostel were to set up here.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/06/homeless-shelter-stunt-raises-eyebrows-in-leaside.html

Update:
In a letter to Ontario Education Minister Mitzie Hunter, OAA President John K. Stephenson argues that the 1962 building "helps to reinforce a sense of community, unique identity and historic character in the area," remaining one of Toronto's few architectural emblems of Space Age optimism. Designed by Peter Pennington, the playful school building has also been praised as an architectural treasure by the small and informal group of activists fighting to save it.

Back