Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Today. GLB is open, but their patio is not

E2C92DBA-611E-4CA3-A0D3-635C8EB32007.jpeg

GLB seems really popular the days I've wandered in that direction which is great. The other restaurants don't seem to be doing as well unfortunately, but hopefully my anecdata is totally wrong.

It looks like they are replacing some of the dead trees on Jarvis (taken Monday June 7th):

20220606_134244.jpg

For some reason, the Indian place there (Chaska) also has a "ghost kitchen" called Nakhraa, although there are no signs stating this. It's very confusing, but I got a pretty good vindaloo there recently.

So, so, sorry for the bump on this thread but;
Are they replacing some exhaust, supply or pressurization fans? New cell tower technology? Weather balloon detectors?
Is there a crane on the east side?
I assume they didn’t lift these from the scaffolding.
There are some new brackets on the penthouse mechanical/elevator room in front of the (fans?)
How old is this place? Something new or something wrong? Those are large pieces of equipment.
4517B7EB-81F7-451D-A6B5-EB26E8C1033C.jpeg

F5996D37-6015-4895-A5A7-2E8BB0299D7D.jpeg

Attachments

• A08DA3E1-6983-447E-B5D9-30341E644240.jpeg
    A08DA3E1-6983-447E-B5D9-30341E644240.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Are they replacing some exhaust, supply or pressurization fans? New cell tower technology? Weather ballon detectors?
There are some new brackets on the penthouse mechanical/elevator room in front of the (fans?)
How old is this place? Something new or something wrong? Those are large pieces of equipment.
View attachment 454940

View attachment 454941

Pretty sure this is all advanced prep before the demolition excavator is lifted into place. 🤞

rooftop_5c.jpg

Link

Last edited:
There is a new pop-up at The Yard across from GLB. Despite what people say about the quality of the complex the builders have done a good job with the retail. Today the brewpub was full for lunch, the smaller take-out places had customers and even Sugar Beach had a lot of people using it. Great to see! Also there is a pic of a DesignTO pavilion at the corner of Jarvis and QQE. Interesting. 😃
F92A3BE0-D698-4F3E-8C2E-F7BD1F6E8C15.jpeg
141276C9-E9CF-4357-B4A0-2CFBFCE9E72C.jpeg

Okay, probably not a weather balloon detector but most likely 5G communication equipment to improve coverage on the shoreline and Lake Ontario.
Assuming the LARGE light weight stuff was lifted from the scaffolding.

Bell has equipment in the Daniels office building.
Maybe Rogers equipment given the red hard hats?
CFBD61EE-6206-4D16-8DA4-3A870557154D.jpeg

09D04006-07AA-4E01-A860-A41FFECF5F61.jpeg

Last edited:
Are they replacing some exhaust, supply or pressurization fans? New cell tower technology? Weather balloon detectors?
View attachment 454940

View attachment 454941
Something interesting in that second image: it's actually a perforated metal panel enclosing the mechanical penthouse. However, because the perforations are too fine and too closely spaced, it doesn't read at a distance and just looks terrible (e.g. the first image). Something that architects sometimes lose sight of is that even if a sample looks good in the office, the public is perceiving it from hundreds of meters away and so that's the scale at which you need to be considering details like this. Too bad, because up close, I'm sure those panels read just fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear! I imagine Artscape won’t have a problem selling the space as East Bayview is a very desirable neighbourhood. For example I know that the Aga Khan has a few design schools around the world. A branch in Toronto would be a good fit.

The project that went up with a bang now goes out with a whimper... /sigh

Back