Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

The residential units in the proposed hotel/residential building at Bremner/Simcoe ("Fairmont") will be all rentals as well.

Novae Res Urbis

CUMBERLAND TERRACE - Eyesore revamp approved
March 12, 2010

NRU_100312-2.jpg

The city has approved the large-scale redevelopment of a low-rise mall near one of the city’s highest profile intersections.

Oxford Properties’ plan to redevelop Cumberland Terrace northwest of Yonge and Bloor streets with two high-rise condo towers and new retail space got the nod from council at its February 22 and 23 meeting.

Several redevelopment plans have been put forward over the years. The latest one calls for two towers, 36- and 48-storeys respectively, above a three-storey retail podium and four floors of parking with a total of 556 condo units.

In addition, retail units will front onto Cumberland Street, creating a more appealing pedestrian environment. The current mall doesn’t have an engaging presence on Cumberland.

When Oxford submitted its rezoning application almost two years ago, the taller tower was proposed at 45 storeys and the residential component set for 391 units.

At the time, Oxford’s vice president of development John Filipetti told NRU that the developer wants to maximize the site’s potential and add a street presence along Cumberland. Filipetti characterized the current building as an eyesore, stating that Oxford is looking to enliven the south side of Cumberland. (See NRUToronto Edition, October 10, 2008)

The approval includes a $500,000 Section 37 contribution and an agreement to include an underground pedestrian connection between the new retail space and Bay Station, much like the one that now connects Cumberland Terrace to the subway.

In a report approved by council last month, city officials concluded that the project “represents an opportunity to intensify and revitalize an underutilized site at an important intersection and improve the pedestrian realm along Bay, Cumberland and Yonge streets.â€

The Bloor-Yorkville BIA also supports Oxford’s plans, but plans to address streetscape improvements on Cumberland during the site plan approval process. The BIA wants to ensure the same treatment and features on the north and south sides of the street.

In a letter to the city outlining the BIA’s concerns, board director Ron Palmer raised questions about the above ground parking levels, Palmer, chair of the BIA’s planning, preservation and urban design committee and a planner with The Planning Partnership, cited potential traffic issues and possible negative visual impacts of the parking facility.

The mass of the taller structure also raises some concerns for the BIA.

“While the Bloor-Yorkville BIA is not necessarily opposed to taller building elements,†Palmer states in the letter, “we certainly remain concerned about the impacts tall buildings, and buildings with large floor-plates may have on adjacent buildings, properties and businesses.â€

To avoid future conflicts between residents and businesses, Palmer said the BIA wants assurance that new residents are aware of potential noise from the area’s outdoor bars and restaurants.

Bregman + Hamann Architects designed the building.

Local councillor Kyle Rae is out of the country and was unable to comment. Calls to Oxford Properties were not returned.

Thanks for posting that, Solaris.

Is it just me or does a $500,000 Section 37 contribution sound somewhat low for the scale of this development?

Is it just me or does a $500,000 Section 37 contribution sound somewhat low for the scale of this development?

There are a series of other sec 37 contributions to be secured by the city:

1. $500,000 cash (for Bloor Street Transformation Project)
2. Provision and maintenance of public art
3. Construction, provision and maintenance of a below grade publically accessable connection across Cumberland Street
4. Provision and maintenance of a below grade publically accessable connection across Bay Street to the TTC Bay Station
5. Streetscape improvements adjacent to the site
6. Provision and maintenance of irrigation system for trees adjacent to the site
7. Payment of costs associated with the proposed conversion of Cumberland Street to two way operation

Plus a couple other smaller sec 37 items

Also outside of sec 37 the development charges are estimated at $4,008,902.75.

6. Provision and maintenance of irrigation system for trees adjacent to the site.

Thanks for the response, Mike in TO. This is great news! It seems that more developments are starting to do this. Do you know if there has been a movement by the City to perhaps start making this a prerequisite for large-scale developments where it makes sense? I'd sure like to see that.

Thanks for the response, Mike in TO. This is great news! It seems that more developments are starting to do this. Do you know if there has been a movement by the City to perhaps start making this a prerequisite for large-scale developments where it makes sense? I'd sure like to see that.

I'll chime in here.

YES, the irrigation of street trees is now required by the City with most major developments. (exceptions may be made where underground infrastructure would be in conflict) but the exceptions are rare.

I'll chime in here.

YES, the irrigation of street trees is now required by the City with most major developments. (exceptions may be made where underground infrastructure would be in conflict) but the exceptions are rare.
That's fantastic news! Not sure how that one slipped by me but it's definitely good to hear. Any idea when that came into effect?

The mass of the taller structure also raises some concerns for the BIA.

“While the Bloor-Yorkville BIA is not necessarily opposed to taller building elements,” Palmer states in the letter, “we certainly remain concerned about the impacts tall buildings, and buildings with large floor-plates may have on adjacent buildings, properties and businesses.”

Translation: While we can't find a legitimate reason to complain about the height of this particular project, rest assured that we are opposed to tall buildings in principle because complaining about them lets us put our fingers in the stew.

Ramako:

I don't know about that - the BIA did support the proposal - and the issues mentioned can be legitimate. Their requests sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The Bloor-Yorkville BIA also supports Oxford’s plans, but plans to address streetscape improvements on Cumberland during the site plan approval process. The BIA wants to ensure the same treatment and features on the north and south sides of the street.

To avoid future conflicts between residents and businesses, Palmer said the BIA wants assurance that new residents are aware of potential noise from the area’s outdoor bars and restaurants.

AoD

That's fantastic news! Not sure how that one slipped by me but it's definitely good to hear. Any idea when that came into effect?

Not sure of the exact timing, but I'd say 2-3 years ago.

You'll notice that Success/Pinnacle Tower at the Yonge + Harbour follows this design so does Murano which has the new block style, multi-tree planters which are also the new preferred requirement (more room for tree roots). Come to think of it, Mintos big towers just south of Eglinton have this design for their Yonge St. trees too.
All of these were approved awhile back.

You'll notice its a standard condition of most large new developments. (in the site plan approval)

Back