Toronto Cube Lofts | ?m | 6s | Neilas | RAW Design

Great read. If only we had more developers like him in town.

Now everything's making me think of N-Blox
200px-Josielp.jpg

There's lots of enthusiasm for the N-Blox development, but I don't share it. The design is creative, unique, but a little wacky for my taste.

Ask yourself one question: would you want a whole city block of N-Bloxes? Not sure how well the N-Blox will fit in with what's there and what will be built there over time.

I keep coming back round to another question: how will people view the N-Blox 20 years from now?

I guess it doesn't hurt to have one or two of these in the city, because it's so unique in appearance. But I'll take a Florian, Museum House, or Hudson over the N-Blox anyday.

I'd rather have 10 more N-Bloxen than 10 more Hudsons. I'm even not minding the driveway off College as much.

I keep coming back round to another question: how will people view the N-Blox 20 years from now?

Then may I offer a question on top of that question: how will people view it 40 years from now, by which time there might be a backlash against a certain shortsighted "it's dated, silly, a period piece" POV of 20 years from now.

Allow for the ol' 360. That's the whole problem with this "20 years from now" argument; it acts as if the 20-years-from-now opinion'll be carved in stone, forever after. (Imagine if we were to forever see City Hall, the TD Centre, etc through 1980s eyes...)

DavidsonAve: no doubt that once constructed, N-Blox will not fit in at all with the buildings around it. In fact, it may always stand apart from the buildings around it.

I don't believe everything has to fit in; cities need punctuation to relieve the run-on sentences that most blocks of buildings are. I just want the standouts to be attractive ones, and in this case, for me N-Blox fits that bill. I'd put a cap on this style of building too though - no more than a couple more of these things per block please.

[]2
4[]

They are having an open house right now, I hope somebody can grab some pics as I'm a bit busy. ;)

N-Blox is having an opening night tonight. I swung by to take some pictures and did ask if it was a "by invite" event or if I could go in and take pictures. The fellow said he'd have to ask but then just remained where he was so no pictures of the inside. The drawings they had on the wall did look quite nice from what I could tell from the outside.

IMG_2944small.jpg

IMG_2931small.jpg

IMG_2932small.jpg

IMG_2934small.jpg

With valet parking.
IMG_2937small.jpg

IMG_2942asmall.jpg

IMG_2942bsmall.jpg

My company did the valet parking for the open house. I didn't even realize we were doing it until I saw the guys in the red jacket and my boss in the photos. If I had known we were doing this event i might have worked at it. I didn't request to work the shift because all I knew about it was the address and I had been really busy with school the last few weeks it never dawned on me that it was N-Blox. I work at another restaurant on wednesdays so i was already working anyways. I doubt that I would have been allowed inside though.

"Ask yourself one question: would you want a whole city block of N-Bloxes? Not sure how well the N-Blox will fit in with what's there and what will be built there over time."

In passing a mortgage guy mentioned to me that the developer has bought a number of and is interested in buying more properties on the same stretch so you might find the answer to that question sooner rather then later.

There's lots of enthusiasm for the N-Blox development, but I don't share it. The design is creative, unique, but a little wacky for my taste.

Ask yourself one question: would you want a whole city block of N-Bloxes? Not sure how well the N-Blox will fit in with what's there and what will be built there over time.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have one or two of these in the city, because it's so unique in appearance. But I'll take a Florian, Museum House, or Hudson over the N-Blox anyday.

I'd actually love to see a street/neighbourhood of N-Blox type buildings...it would be quite interesting, especially with good streetscaping.

Back