Toronto Cube Lofts | ?m | 6s | Neilas | RAW Design

Really? It looks bad?? Hmmm... could it be because it is not even half finished on the exterior? It is exposed unpainted concrete right now. Relax, in a few months that pic wont be recognizable....I mean COME ON....its half done!!!!!

Here are some pics from today. I think it is hard to say what exactly the final outcome will be, but I for one love the infill, the location, and the design. Hopefully the finishings will be nice.

Attachments

• Cube 1.jpg
    Cube 1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Cube 7.jpg
    Cube 7.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 311
  • Cube 3.jpg
    Cube 3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Cube 5.jpg
    Cube 5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Cube 2.jpg
    Cube 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Cube 6.jpg
    Cube 6.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
I hope the cladding helps, but it does loom over the neighbourhood. I wonder what will happen with that aborted project next door. And speaking of buildings covered in ragged tarps, there's another stalled project not far away at Bloor and Ossington. Anyone know what's going on with either of these?

This is the first I have seen, since this building was merely a hole in the ground and I am sincerely disappointed. Sadly they had a great opportunity and well, they missed it. It doesn't even resemble a cube, or a series of them for that matter!

*sigh

p5

This thing still isn't done?? It was under construction when I still lived in that area. I moved out about 3 years ago.

A shame they flattened out the relief of the projecting boxes to within a few inches. The end result doesn't have nearly the impact of the original concept. Freed's Thompson residences suffered the same fate - apparently Freed told S&P to reign in the original projecting boxes to save on construction costs as well as gaining floor area. Shame the bottom line trumps pure design in Canada`s building culture most of the time.

Last edited:
A shame they flattened out the relief of the projecting boxes to within a few inches. The end result doesn't have nearly the impact of the original concept. Freed's Thompson residences suffered the same fate - apparently Freed told S&P to reign in the original projecting boxes to save on construction costs as well as gaining floor area. Shame the bottom line trumps pure design in Canada`s building culture most of the time.

It's details like the emphasized boxes that made this building look interesting in the renderings. Such compromises can water down interesting infill to regrettable blandness. At the same time, builders and contractors need more experience in working in historic low-rise areas like this one to keep construction costs in check while maintaining quality.

Back