Toronto CrystalBlu Condos | ?m | 36s | Bazis | Burka

Sorry to slow everyone's connection down by posting DT's (excellent) full size picture, but where the above posters see possibility, I see future mediocrity.

Blu1_Sept1-09.jpg

I refer to this photo because it best demonstrates what I'm on about: there are almost as many mullions and spandrels (cheap) as there are panes of glass (less cheap) on the building. Those panels easily cover three quarters of the east facade of the building, yet there are only 6 individual windows. Terrible.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Blu on the left, Uptown on the right

Glass & cladding on the north and south sides of the building

The first window panels/balcony sliders installed on the west side. It looks like the glass has a blue tinge but it's hard to tell. The blue shows up better in this photo than it does to the naked eye. I'll see if I can get a shot with the sun in the west when I come out of the Varsity cinemas around 4pm.

From Charles Street

4:30pm - With the sun shining on the windows it became less apparent whether the tint is blue but judging by the earlier photos it seems certain that they are.

I refer to this photo because it best demonstrates what I'm on about: there are almost as many mullions and spandrels (cheap) as there are panes of glass (less cheap) on the building. Those panels easily cover three quarters of the east facade of the building, yet there are only 6 individual windows. Terrible.

Could that possibly be the eastern side of the podium at that level? (the rendering below is facing Balmuto Street of course...)

crystal_blu.jpg

Here's some photos i took a couple weeks ago...

This shot has Casa in the background:

3857219100_0bff3d3736_b.jpg

Here's a shot of Manulife, Crystal Blu, and Uptown Residences... It really shows how tall Crystal Blu is and how congested the area is gonna get... Gotta love it!!!! :)

3857218394_71cf2d3081_b.jpg

Here are some shots of Crystal blu:

3857228028_294b4b2848_b.jpg

3856438153_5e097d9653_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve :)

Enjoy!

Sept. 13th

Sept. 14th

More windows are in on the west facing side. The building is now at the 24th floor, 12 more to go plus mech. This is going to be one heck of a slim building when viewed from the east or west.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size. Expanding the second image to full size renders a huge image so beware (it's two photos stitched together).

Looking at the cladding, glass and gimmicky little "crystal" insets, I'm beginning to feel relief that Bazis lost the 1BE site.

Looking at the cladding, glass and gimmicky little "crystal" insets, I'm beginning to feel relief that Bazis lost the 1BE site.

I like those chipped away sections exposing the crystal. Let's give the building a chance and see what it looks like six months down the road. Whether it really turns out to be "Blu" or not, I think it's going to have an impressive presence on Balmuto Street.

Back