CrystalBlu Condos | ?m | 36s | Bazis | Burka

Jarrek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hm, no insulation or blueskin behind the stone? Seems a little dodgy.

Design wise I could almost see the random crystal thing working, depending how they light things and how the rest of the podium goes. I think I would have liked it more if it didn't have the mottled look around the edges of the stone tho

There is no insulation because it's not needed. The insulation will be installed on the inside.

The way they're attaching the stones is similar to a brick veneer house. You never put any insulation between the brick and the plywood that's attached to the frame of the house.

whatever

Member Bio
Reaction score
Generally from what I've seen when stone or precast is attached to a concrete structure you put some sort of insulation and moisture barrier between the exterior finished stone and the interior structural member. That's exactly what they did with all of the precast on this very same building, and that's why I noticed in this case that they weren't doing the same for the west elevation.

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
3678001867_e558039b14_b.jpg

Saw this in person today. It's interesting that's for sure. I have a feeling though that this might end up looking pretty cool when all is said and done.

Darwin

Member Bio
Reaction score
:D I actually like the crystal details on the precast. IMO It gives a sophisticated and different touch to the podium of the building. ;)

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
July 19th Update

It looks like they're up to the 13th floor now

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

RezBoy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are they using the same precast design on the sides ? I see a number of people not in favor of the precast so what makes a good precast ?? What are the alternatives ?

1 St Thomas uses precast...is this the best in Toronto so far ?

Last edited:

MBS-Guru

Member Bio
Reaction score
:D I actually like the crystal details on the precast. IMO It gives a sophisticated and different touch to the podium of the building. ;)

i would like them if they actually light up at night..... i'll give it a 10/10 if they do.

Eastside

Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree with you guys more about those cutout crystal things, I think they're hideous. I bet whoever designed them is a proud owner of a Bedazzler.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just a limestone veneer on precast concrete but, regardless, I still wouldn't call it precast concrete.

Granny

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ah yes..
That good old 'father passed down to to son' staunch hog town Toronto conservatism always manages to seep through when our 'good taste' sensebilities are pushed a tad over the line.

Get over it.

This is fantastic!

I can't believe they had the balls to try something like this.
This is the kind of 'surprise in your face artistic stuff as you come around a city corner', that makes a city so interesting.

Good God! We need so much more of this kinf of courage in our architecture.

I am totally blown away impressed.

Anyhow.., sorry to break the the flow here. Please go back to your pissy ass whining.