News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I drove the length of the surface section today. Here’s the dash cam footage, for those of us that haven’t seen the area recently

• Centre median removed through the entire project
  • Significant works happening at Kennedy, Ionview, Hakimi Lebovic, Pharmacy, O’Connor,
  • Bridge is being widened over the both the East and West Don Rivers
  • Most significantly, both the Brentcliffe and Don Mills portals look to be mostly complete. On the Don Mills portal, it looks like permanent structures have now been built on the surface, including concrete finishes.

I click the link but it's broken apparently. Do you have another link

The more I think about the Line 5 "Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit" name, the more I think it should be called the Line 5 "Crosstown Rapid Transit".
Line 5 Eglinton. The 98% of the population who are not transit wonks won’t even notice the difference between overhead catenary and third rail. They will notice that they aren’t stuck in traffic and that the thing appears to have stations (underground) and station-stops.

[QUDoes anyone know if it's been discussed how it will operate like will trains run the entire length of it or will some only serve the above ground sections and you will have to transfer at Laird

^ I would expect the Laird crossover to only be used for emergencies, and not as a part of regular operation.

The on-street sections, per se, do not preclude branched or short-turn operations.

3.3.7 Special Trackwork To allow the LRT vehicles to change direction for operational and emergency purposes, special track work is required. The types of special trackwork that are proposed within the corridor include crossovers and storage (pocket) tracks. Crossovers allow trains to transfer from one track to the other in order to change directions. All of the crossovers provide bi-directional capability. Storage (pocket) tracks provide a third track section between the two main line tracks with turn outs at one or both ends. This allows vehicles to be moved off of the mainline track to be stored during lower demand periods or when vehicles are disabled. Based on TTC design standards and consideration of the operational needs of the Eglinton Crosstown line, crossovers are located at least every 4 kilometres, at terminal stations and at the last stations in the tunnel section to facilitate line management and operating flexibility. In addition, storage capacity is to be provided for at least one train at or near all terminal stations.

http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...3-project-description-sections-3-1-to-3-4.pdf pg 67

Is this what you hope, or what will happen? My understanding is that there are crossover tracks are just west of Laird.

Staff has been saying this - that every second train will turn back at Laird at rush hours - since the EA process started. Considering how precipitously the ridership is projected to drop off to the east of Laird, there is no reason to assume otherwise.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This is the exact reason why half assing the line at this section will cause confusion. Too late to fix it for a reasonable price though.
It really does to show that those who supported this ECLRT plan had no plans to build the DRL long. It like the 2 projects are not compatible.

It really does to show that those who supported this ECLRT plan had no plans to build the DRL long. It like the 2 projects are not compatible.
I'm not sure I agree with that. It is my understanding that Don Mills (Science Centre) Station was built underground in an at-grade section of line specifically to ease transfers between the DRL and ECLRT.

Seriously?

There would have been plenty of time to fix the design between Don Mills and Laird before the line needed to go to tender, if they had not had to waste so much time with that ridiculous all underground LRT connected with the SLRT for $2 Billon more.

And I have clearly told you this several times before, just how long will it be before things finally sink in? The choice WAS NOT between building the Scarborough Subway with the current Eglinton LRT design or the all underground Eglinton LRT. It was between building the Finch, Sheppard, Eglinton and RT extension LRT's or wasting all that money on just the All underground Eglinton LRT connected to the SRT. Cancelling those three lines and putting all that money into a $2 Billion hole in the ground on Eglinton that would have saved maybe four minutes in travel time from Kennedy to Don Mills was not a better value as you obsessively keep claiming.

Back