News   May 07, 2024
 481     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 435     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 915     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I'm starting to think the people responsible for the decision have never used a transit shelter. Spadina's stations come to mind when visualizing their description. I remember those barely protecting from the elements.

I think the station design is going to be one of the biggest missed opportunities with the Crosstown. The lack of grade separation is minor compared to the comfort of the stations since being stuck on a streetcar in the middle of winter is much more comfortable than waiting on an open platform for said streetcar in the middle of winter.
They said that they are working with a limited platform width because of the restricted road right-of-way width. Also, the platforms must be wide enough to stay accessible, therefore the shelters can't be larger.

Just make the road wider.

I hate to sound insensitive but Toronto transit riders act as if everything they get is half assed in comparison to other cities. On one thread we are complaining about the walking distance for transfers, another thread how often trains should come to be considered rapid and on this thread complaining that they are not fully enclosed shelters. I wont address the first two here but this issue somehow is not a issue in cities such as Calgary which is considerably colder and by the way their trains come far less often. I lived through it for three years and survived to tell that it does in fact work. Is it optimal? NO it isn't. That said it does work and if costs of security and or maintenance is the issue then I can live with it. Everything can't be 5 stars.

Local transit agencies seems scared to death of using enclosures that actually encloses. I suspect they are probably hung up on the whole safety and maintenance aspect.

AoD

I’m curious to know how and enclosed glass structure is more dangerous than an open one. And Metrolinx seems to have had no problem with this in York Region

I hate to sound insensitive but Toronto transit riders act as if everything they get is half assed in comparison to other cities. On one thread we are complaining about the walking distance for transfers, another thread how often trains should come to be considered rapid and on this thread complaining that they are not fully enclosed shelters. I wont address the first two here but this issue somehow is not a issue in cities such as Calgary which is considerably colder and by the way their trains come far less often. I lived through it for three years and survived to tell that it does in fact work. Is it optimal? NO it isn't. That said it does work and if costs of security and or maintenance is the issue then I can live with it. Everything can't be 5 stars.

I prefer to aspire to more than absolute mediocrity.

I'm concerned about how much protection the shelter/stop platforms give to passengers waiting for the next light rail train. Would there be some barrier or bollards that would stop or at least slow down an out-of-control vehicle? Or are will they be some flimsy separation so as to not cause injury to the out-of-control vehicle occupants, and ignore the passengers at the stops?

I'm concerned about how much protection the shelter/stop platforms give to passengers waiting for the next light rail train. Would there be some barrier or bollards that would stop or at least slow down an out-of-control vehicle? Or are will they be some flimsy separation so as to not cause injury to the out-of-control vehicle occupants, and ignore the passengers at the stops?
I'd say both concrete things at the red and blue circles should exists on the Crosstown stops
crosstown_sunnybrook_park_stop - edit.jpg

viva_town_centre_station - edit.jpg

Also, WTF is that wasted space on the right side of the platform? Can they not move the tracks right a bit and have wider platforms? Platforms don't have to be symmetrical along the whole stop...

Attachments

• viva_town_centre_station - edit.jpg
    viva_town_centre_station - edit.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 277
  • crosstown_sunnybrook_park_stop - edit.jpg
    crosstown_sunnybrook_park_stop - edit.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 391
I prefer to hope that these LRTs will come soon enough that enclosed stations arent necessary.... In calgary waiting 15 mins in minus 30 was nuts but one learned to know a schedule way before gps apps were available

I prefer to hope that these LRTs will come soon enough that enclosed stations arent necessary

I think that'll be highly dependent on what sort of transit priority at intersections will be in place. I definitely believe the on grade part of this line will be an item of contention once operational.

i just like seeing something finally get built
keep upping the costs and your new premier might be cancelling everything.... on the other hand he probably will no matter what
Speaking of which, it may not be possible for DoFo to cancel the whole project, but can he just cancel the above ground portion, since it fits "the damned streetcars" definition?

Speaking of which, it may not be possible for DoFo to cancel the whole project, but can he just cancel the above ground portion, since it fits "the damned streetcars" definition?
As someone who lives on Eglinton I take that "damned streetcar" above ground portion over nothing any day of the week.

Doug can cancel sections (or the entire thing) if he likes; but the price will not decrease.

Last edited:

Back