News   Apr 26, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 496     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The main thing that prevents a STC rider from going to Don Mills/Eglinton is the planned poor service on Eglinton which forces them to transfer.

"Planned poor service" is an exaggeration. I realize that the extra transfer at Kennedy is a nuisance (and frankly don't understand why the TTC does not want to through-route half of SRT trains to Eglinton). But the in-median service through the eastern part of Eglinton will be pretty good compared to the typical mixed-traffic bus routes; and the extra travel time (for in-median versus full grade separation) will be about 5 or 6 min.

I guess most people who favour the median LRT for Eglinton through Scarborough are also opposed to the DRL being extended to Eglinton - otherwise I cannot understand the logic.

DRL East to Eglinton is justified in combination with any form of Eglinton service (even if it kept mixed-traffic buses). Eglinton / Don Mills is a point where several passenger flows are combined.

Jane may well be grade separated anyways - since most other intersecting lines are (Don Mills/Eg, Kennedy/Eg, SRT/Sheppard, Finch/Keele, Don Mills/Sheppard). Farther grade separation is also likely approaching YYZ. The other thing to note is that this stretch of Eglinton is probably the easiest segemtn of a transit line that could be grade-separated in all of Toronto.

I agree that a cheaper grade-separation option (= trench that uses the Richview Expressway reserved land strip) should be at least considered for that segment.

Last edited:
All i care is that if/when the drl is buildt out to eglinton via don mills, Eglington is completely grade separated by then. Since there is only one major intersection between laird and don mills, you could just tunnel under that or even just go around it (its a t intersection)

That was a political decision not a transportation one. Eglinton west barely qualified BRT let alone subway.

Who gotta be joking. Try riding a Eglinton West bus. Service is very frequent which means demand. Houses are also built a ,lot closer to each other so greater density than out in Scarborough. I don;t ride the bus along there but do remember 15 years ago when I did at times and always packed,

Plus I still don't get all this talk here about different forms of transit along Eglinton besides the proposed LRT. It will be an LRT so why talk about the various other forms and whether fully grade separated, etc.

Last edited:
Who gotta be joking. Try riding a Eglinton West bus. Service is very frequent which means demand. Houses are also built a ,lot closer to each other so greater density than out in Scarborough. I don;t ride the bus along there but do remember 15 years ago when I did at times and always packed,

No I am not kidding. A lot of people just lack any sense of numbers and scale.

Exactly what was suppose to convince me that eglinton west was all politics but eglinton east was justified?

Aren't we talking about Network 2011 here? The original plan was for a busway on Eglinton West, west of the Allen. The busway would have been converted to a subway at some future date when demand warranted. There was nothing planned for central Eglinton West or Eglinton East.

The busway plan then became a subway plan due to politics, because Sheppard East was getting a subway.

Last edited:
Yes, and as was already said above, that reason was politics, not transit planning.

So is the current tunnelling just "politics" as well? Bus service has been dysfunctional in the central part of Eglinton West for a long time and more capacity is needed. It's not surprising that a subway line was envisioned before LRT gained the profile it did in the 2000s. It would be the logical connection to the airport and the catalyst for York to gain its own city centre and sense of place. (The city should plan a city centre for York like that of North York.) The initial construction to Black Creek would have merely been the first phase.

Aren't we talking about Network 2011 here? The original plan was for a busway on Eglinton West, west of the Allen. The busway would have been converted to a subway at some future date when demand warranted. There was nothing planned for central Eglinton West or Eglinton East.

The busway plan then became a subway plan due to politics, because Sheppard East was getting a subway.

Sheppard east only got a subway because they canceled the eglinton line. Eglinton was planned way before sheppard got a subway. I think in the original eglinton west subway it was suppose to stop at Keele and then have a busway from Keele to Pearson. But either way from yonge thro central eglinton to Keele was suppose to have underground subway.

So is the current tunnelling just "politics" as well? Bus service has been dysfunctional in the central part of Eglinton West for a long time and more capacity is needed. It's not surprising that a subway line was envisioned before LRT gained the profile it did in the 2000s. It would be the logical connection to the airport and the catalyst for York to gain its own city centre and sense of place. (The city should plan a city centre for York like that of North York.) The initial construction to Black Creek would have merely been the first phase.

Look, if you read about Network 2011, it's well-documented that the projected ridership only justified BRT, and the switch to subway was due to political pressure.

My point is that Network 2011 can't be used as proof that the outer section of Eglinton West "deserves" a subway rather than an LRT, as some have argued above.

Sheppard east only got a subway because they canceled the eglinton line. Eglinton was planned way before sheppard got a subway. I think in the original eglinton west subway it was suppose to stop at Keele and then have a busway from Keele to Pearson. But either way from yonge thro central eglinton to Keele was suppose to have underground subway.

What plan are you talking about? Here is the Network 2011 plan, which dates from 1985 and eventually led to the Sheppard Subway and the York U extension: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/subway-5111-03.jpg
East of the Allen, there was nothing planned for Eglinton at all.

What plan are you talking about? Here is the Network 2011 plan, which dates from 1985 and eventually led to the Sheppard Subway and the York U extension: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/subway-5111-03.jpg
East of the Allen, there was nothing planned for Eglinton at all.

OK fine. There was nothing east of the Allen. But there was a subway planned west of it. Why are you suggesting that there was only a busway planned from eglinton west to Pearson and where are the numbers proving that the line doesn't justify the subway. Btw sheppard numbers doesn't justify a subway either.

OK fine. There was nothing east of the Allen. But there was a subway planned west of it. Why are you suggesting that there was only a busway planned from eglinton west to Pearson and where are the numbers proving that the line doesn't justify the subway. Btw sheppard numbers doesn't justify a subway either.

You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eglinton_West_line

The initial Network 2011 report stated that the proposed rapid transit line would be a busway, and not a subway. The busway would be the most cost-effective alternative since Eglinton West corridor sits in the vacant Richview Expressway corridor, though in the future it could be expanded to a subway if ridership warranted.
Though the cities of Etobicoke and York strongly supported the concept of an Eglinton Rapid Transit line, as did the Region of Peel, they were unsatisfied with the prospect of a busway. There was some political jealousy over the fact that North York had successfully made the Sheppard Subway a priority...

Plus I still don't get all this talk here about different forms of transit along Eglinton besides the proposed LRT. It will be an LRT so why talk about the various other forms and whether fully grade separated, etc.

Until it is built, nothing is certain. I do not think that anything other than the tunnelling will be done prior to the next Municipal election and I am certain that transit will be a major election issue. Although I agree that the LRT technology is quite firmly set, I can still see a lot of potential changes depending on the results of the next campaign and election.

Back