News   May 02, 2024
 79     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   May 02, 2024
 536     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

IMG_8696.jpeg

Here’s hoping we see more colour in November!

yea he specifically says the lack of a date was completely because of the "fleet availability issues" he mentioned the other day which apperently could delay commissioning by 5 weeks

- says during the interview is that theyre "50% of the way through testing and commisioning"
- says that the lawsuits were settled "for $0.20 on the dollar" compared to what it would cost in court
- claims the original total budget was 12 billion? and that "theyre only 600 mil overbudget from just the lawsuits"? anyone wanna fact check this? wiki says the contract was signed for 9 billion?

still sounds like he simply wants to announce a specific date instead of a range of dates. they want to absolutely be sure thats when the line will open. my guess no specific date in november/december but february will tell us it will open march/april

- claims the original total budget was 12 billion? and that "theyre only 600 mil overbudget from just the lawsuits"? anyone wanna fact check this? wiki says the contract was signed for 9 billion?
600 mil over-budget from the last announced overage to be precise. That’s a disgusting number for any level of government to be paying out in just lawsuits.

600 mil over-budget from the last announced overage to be precise. That’s a disgusting number for any level of government to be paying out in just lawsuits.
Is that what he said? it understood it as 12 billion was the original 2015 budget. as in...hes saying the project was 12 billion, any theyre up to 12.6 billion because of the lawsuits and covid. effectively only 5% right?

again someone wanna source the actual contract? wikipedia says it was signed for 9.1 bil in 2015. is that correct?

truthfully tbh i dont think theres any point in firing him at this stage of construction... they are close to finishing and they need this done asap. to fire and rehire would only throw the project into more chaos
that we cant afford. i suspect though that this will be his last renewal unless he pulls some miracle work for FLRT and HLRT
Agree 100% I think what would make the most sense is to keep Verster on for the current round of LRT expansions (Finch, Crosstown, Hurontario) and then look for a new CEO that can take Metrolinx through GO Expansion, the Ontario Line, Crosstown West Extension, and Hamilton LRT

Agree 100% I think what would make the most sense is to keep Verster on for the current round of LRT expansions (Finch, Crosstown, Hurontario) and then look for a new CEO that can take Metrolinx through GO Expansion, the Ontario Line, Crosstown West Extension, and Hamilton LRT
But the argument can be made the other way too, wouldn't it make sense to have Vester there for Go Expansion, OL, EGWLRT, SSE and YNSE since he has been there for its inception, contract execution and probably 3-4 ish years way of their opening date? His contract will expire just after the next election in 2026 (December 2026).

Also who knows by then they will be knee deep in their next round of transit expansion projects (EGWLRT to Pearson, OL North, Sheppard E/W, Waterfront / EGE LRT).

I am just happy we are moving forward and not cancelling projects and moving backwards.

My only question is, if the NDP, Liberal or NDP/Liberal Coalition win the elections in 2026 how the current projects may be impacted or amended? Last election all parties mentioned no projects would be cancelled. But any change or pause could add years.

But the argument can be made the other way too, wouldn't it make sense to have Vester there for Go Expansion, OL, EGWLRT, SSE and YNSE since he has been there for its inception, contract execution and probably 3-4 ish years way of their opening date? His contract will expire just after the next election in 2026 (December 2026).

Also who knows by then they will be knee deep in their next round of transit expansion projects (EGWLRT to Pearson, OL North, Sheppard E/W, Waterfront / EGE LRT).

I am just happy we are moving forward and not cancelling projects and moving backwards.

My only question is, if the NDP, Liberal or NDP/Liberal Coalition win the elections in 2026 how the current projects may be impacted or amended? Last election all parties mentioned no projects would be cancelled. But any change or pause could add years.
well, ironically, most of the projects being started/not having started STILL came from the prior Liberal Government. They have no reason to oppose, say, the Hamilton LRT, GO Expansion, the subway extensions etc. these were either Liberal inceptions or are equally valuable to the Liberals. Not to mention shovels in the ground are a big deterrent to cancellations, even if not an absolute guarantee.

It generally doesn’t seem to be the Liberals motif to cancel public projects either. I highly doubt they have a list of alternative projects they’d want to see instead of what’s being built. The only area of contention might have been the RL/OL, but that’s water under the bridge. Ford only modified the Liberals version after all, so the only possible change would be altering future phases- which again I highly doubt because of the work Ford’s government is doing today to ensure steady expansion for many years. Dare I say, Ford is making sure that HIS transit vision is what future governments are forced/incentivized to build, whether he’s in office or not.

well, ironically, most of the projects being started/not having started STILL came from the prior Liberal Government. They have no reason to oppose, say, the Hamilton LRT, GO Expansion, the subway extensions etc. these were either Liberal inceptions or are equally valuable to the Liberals. Not to mention shovels in the ground are a big deterrent to cancellations, even if not an absolute guarantee.

It generally doesn’t seem to be the Liberals motif to cancel public projects either. I highly doubt they have a list of alternative projects they’d want to see instead of what’s being built. The only area of contention might have been the RL/OL, but that’s water under the bridge. Ford only modified the Liberals version after all, so the only possible change would be altering future phases- which again I highly doubt because of the work Ford’s government is doing today to ensure steady expansion for many years. Dare I say, Ford is making sure that HIS transit vision is what future governments are forced/incentivized to build, whether he’s in office or not.

It would suck if Liberals or NDP come in and mess around with OL in any way shape or form... don't want anymore delays. But looking likely that Ford will win again

It's a bit early to predict what might happen in the next three years before the next election.

But that means it will be easy to late to integer much with anything already under construction or now being tendered.
You mean June 4, 2026 is still 3 years away?

Election platform will surface late 2025 and be in place by Q1 2026. Don't see any party changing the OL plan at this stage and it will depend where the province books are for everything for who every comes to power. Anything under contract will be full fill and the ones at tender stage maybe place on hold.

It's a bit early to predict what might happen in the next three years before the next election.

But that means it will be easy to late to integer much with anything already under construction or now being tendered.
What will be important about the next election is that the winning party will get to decide the 'next phase' of transit expansion. Ford mostly took over the Liberals' direction in 2018 (after some poor attempts to alter it) but by 2026 eyes will be on what comes after the current phase. By the end of the term, it will be 2030; lots will be almost done just like today. Because it is unclear what is coming, that is where the parties' respective visions will be 'duked out'.

With little to go off of, it seems Ford is positioning himself around the OL and perhaps the full Sheppard Subway, but anything beyond that is unclear. My best guess for the Liberals might be Jane RT, but I can't really guess beyond that. Worth noting that it is not going to only be a matter of what gets funded, but how much we spend on transit. Ironically I think Ford will have more of an appetite for more than the Liberals. Something tells me the MTO's/Metrolinxs' (upcoming) 2051 Transit Plans might give an indication of where the current Government is thinking of going.

Back