News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Shutting down a section of one of our busiest thoroughfares for seven months is a little more disturbing than one can blame on nasty neighbours or a Councillor marching to their own drummer. I kinda shudder at what that disruption will bring.

Having said that, I think that it should happen. But this should have been talked to death in advance, will all sorts of explanations of alternatives and routes, etc. This idea that transit builders can just fly under the radar screen and then assert moral superiority when people complain upon the surprise announcement is dead wrong. This is what happened with the Davenport Rail Diamond thing, among other things.

It's not my neighbourhood, but I have been surprised a few times by road closures and turn restrictions in the Yonge-Bayview-Don Mills area, especially on weekend evenings. Took me 1:15 to get from Mount Pleasant and St Clair to Don Mills north of Eglinton one Saturday evening. I want Crosstown badly, but it's still a huge inconvenience. You can't communicate this stuff too much or too early. Crosstown really didn't do that.

- Paul

Shutting down a section of one of our busiest thoroughfares for seven months is a little more disturbing than one can blame on nasty neighbours or a Councillor marching to their own drummer. I kinda shudder at what that disruption will bring.
The biggest issue is the lack of communication. Metrolinx has been doing extensive community consultation and communication about the construction and the impacts. But never mentioned THIS?

Either they were abusing the public by trying to slip that one by without anyone noticing until it was too late. Or someone is grossly incompetent. Either way - someone should be terminated over this.

The biggest issue is the lack of communication. Metrolinx has been doing extensive community consultation and communication about the construction and the impacts. But never mentioned THIS?

Either they were abusing the public by trying to slip that one by without anyone noticing until it was too late. Or someone is grossly incompetent. Either way - someone should be terminated over this.
That is unfair......you know the communications department is dramatically understaffed ?

Councillor Josh Matlow: “The overwhelming response is of tremendous concern, principally because of the incursion of traffic that will result from this.” So he's concerned about traffic but wants to delay the opening of the system that reduces it. Right.
Seems to me that Matlow isn't that much of a "evidence-based transit" activist. This just proves that he doesn't actually care about better transit, but rather wants to incur the fewest expenses as possible while disrupting the fewest people as possible. Now that's fine for a politician, but not someone who claims to want better transit, it's pathetic.

I fully understand his concerns with the Scarborough fiasco (I disagree with his solution), but his concerns here make absolutely no sense. Sure, traffic on Eglinton is bad, but how many people actually drive on that street? In 2011 (before the bulk of crosstown construction started), it seemed to be about 15K vehicles per intersection, so I'd estimate 50-60K vehicles across the entire crosstown section. That's fine and all, but the Eglinton Buses carry about 75K Passengers per day together, and other buses that run on Eglinton (Lawrence East for example) carry at least another 30K more. There's also the Bathurst bus in this situation which carries another bunch of passengers (I don't remember the specific number). Forcing people to wait longer for better transit doesn't help anyone, including drivers but especially those that actually use transit.

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.36.32 AM.png
Based on TheStar's own poll, it seems like Matlow's concerns are bogus to the vast majority of people, but I will admit, this poll is quite biased.

Yes, the TTC always seems to find new ways to make building subways as prohibitively expensive as possible. New builds being exclusively underground 100% of the route like what was done for TYSSE sets a bad precedent.
That is on the residents of the city. Torontonians complain too much, as seen by what we are talking about just right now.

I live on Eglinton near Bathurst and they could have done the same thing at Allen but people who were consulted wanted to keep the allen open. Sometimes consultations suck. people sometimes think they know what they want but in the end prefer it the other way. Eglinton has been a disaster and I would much rather this thing been done sooner than later. No more delays.

Not so. The station at York Mills was built as cut-and-cover, and they built it directly under the west branch of the Don River.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I believe the Sheppard Subway also goes under the Don river. I recall when it was built how they were talking about the ups and downs on the line which was a result of dipping and diving around the river.

I believe the Sheppard Subway also goes under the Don river. I recall when it was built how they were talking about the ups and downs on the line which was a result of dipping and diving around the river.

No, The Sheppard subway passes overtop of the East branch of the Don. When you take the cycle path to the south-east of Leslie and Sheppard, you are riding on the bridge.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back