News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 407     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

In a move that will drive the Premier mad,

Well he's right that it's hardly necessary in Toronto. Franco presence in Toronto is limited to individuals and families that assimilate to English as you can't function in French in Toronto in day-to-day life. So bilingualizing Metrolinx is pointless for that reason alone. .

Last edited:
Trudeau would say little. He'd first wait for the Quebec media to react, knowing that every time Ford attacks linguistic minorities, it hurts Conservative chances in Quebec.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...ersite-ontario-francais-commissariat-services

I think Quebec's succession of left-of-centre governments and ultra-conservatism are bedfellows on linguistic minority issues---and a lot more discriminatory as there are large swathes of historic Anglo areas in Quebec.

I think Quebec's succession of left-of-centre governments and ultra-conservatism are bedfellows on linguistic minority issues---and a lot more discriminatory as there are large swathes of historic Anglo areas in Quebec.
Left-of-centre governments? I'm not sure what the last left-of-centre government was in Quebec. The Quebec Liberal Party are generally centre-right, and the new CAQ government is the most right-wing government in Quebec for generations!

That's not how Ford hurts Conservative chances in Quebec. They don't care that he's picking on minorities. They care that he's attacking French-Canadians, and the spectre of him doing so, makes them fear that Conservatives will do similar federally. It reminds them of how anti-Quebec the Reform wing of the Conservatives were perceived to be.

Well he's right that it's hardly necessary in Toronto. Franco presence in Toronto is limited to individuals and families that assimilate to English as you can't function in French in Toronto in day-to-day life. So bilingualizing Metrolinx is pointless for that reason alone. .
The duality of Canada's languages isn't about "necessity." Despite the 600,000 Franco-Ontarians, there are other more heavily-spoken non-English languages in this province, particularly in Toronto. It's more about history and honouring agreements that some basic functions/singange be available to minority language groups outside their majority region. The MTO/Metrolinx is bilingual in all customer-facing signage as per provincial law. If Ford wants to change that, he'll have to wear that as well (and could face court challenges, plus blowing-away all Conservative chances for a federal minority/majority). Is it necessary to see French on the Toronto subway? Of course not. Would it bother me if we did have it? Not in the least. Is it a sign to Franco-Ontarians that their government takes them seriously when it offers services in one of the province's largest franco regions (which Toronto is)? Absolutely.

Last edited:
^The Keelesdale photo is impressive but it's a reminder that we don't yet have operable trackage beyond the MSF. With the first car nearing readiness for delivery, I wonder how the initial testing will proceed.

It was some months after the first Ion delivery before any on line testing was done in Waterloo, so perhaps I'm a bit premature. But I can't imagine ML's initial testing can be completed by running them in circles around the MSF. Some tests will need a stretch of line, I would imagine. Perhaps we will have track in place as far as the western Portal before too long.

- Paul

^The Keelesdale photo is impressive but it's a reminder that we don't yet have operable trackage beyond the MSF. With the first car nearing readiness for delivery, I wonder how the initial testing will proceed.

It was some months after the first Ion delivery before any on line testing was done in Waterloo, so perhaps I'm a bit premature. But I can't imagine ML's initial testing can be completed by running them in circles around the MSF. Some tests will need a stretch of line, I would imagine. Perhaps we will have track in place as far as the western Portal before too long.

- Paul
I think Mount Dennis Station platform and tracks are complete, so they can test along that and the connection to the maintenance facility.

Left-of-centre governments? I'm not sure what the last left-of-centre government was in Quebec. The Quebec Liberal Party are generally centre-right, and the new CAQ government is the most right-wing government in Quebec for generations!

That's not how Ford hurts Conservative chances in Quebec. They don't care that he's picking on minorities. They care that he's attacking French-Canadians, and the spectre of him doing so, makes them fear that Conservatives will do similar federally. It reminds them of how anti-Quebec the Reform wing of the Conservatives were perceived to be.

But anyways, back to Crosstown talk. Is Eglinton station on Line 1 being renamed to " Eglinton-Yonge", or something else ? That would match Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard Yonge's station names.

But anyways, back to Crosstown talk. Is Eglinton station on Line 1 being renamed to " Eglinton-Yonge", or something else ? That would match Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard Yonge's station names.
Whenever you give directions, the North-South street always gets precedence. Yonge-Eglinton is the correct answer.

So the real question is whether Sheppard-Yonge and Bloor-Yonge will be renamed. I doubt it because those forms are the common used, colloquial forms.

So the real question is whether Sheppard-Yonge and Bloor-Yonge will be renamed. I doubt it because those forms are the common used, colloquial forms.
TTC subway gets uploaded to the province is the subject to Metrolinx station naming convention. Then all subway stations get renamed to terrible names.

From everything I've read no, it'll merely be Eglinton. Thankfully Allen station where it intersects has been renamed Cedarvale, but must say I prefer the Sheppard/Sheppard West style naming convention better.

Back