Anyone ever visit Boston?

They have the following transit lines:
Green
Blue
Orange
Red
Silver

Care to guess the livery colours?

The buses are yellow. The cars of the RT all match the line colours.

Who cares the colours? I think it would be great that the future LRT colours are all different to separate it from the streetcars.

This must be incorrect or for the prototype only. Crosstown, Finch, Hurontario, etc. have numerous crosover switches and pocket tracks; not loops.

Not even Metrolinx could have overlooked that type of discrepancy in tendered contracts between track and vehicles.

Although it would be hilarious if Bombardier edited out the second cab during the renegotiation with Metrolinx in order to get a pricey change order for a second cab to be added back. They already lost confidence of the client; might as well go nuclear on the way to the bank.

Article says this is car 45 built for Crosstown (44 at Thunderbay are ready for delivery).
It was stated a while back that the Crosstown LRVs will have a cab at one end and trains will be coupled back to back.

Going even further back, I believe it was stated on Twitter that the prototype is not in the finalised livery.

It was stated a while back that the Crosstown LRVs will have a cab at one end and trains will be coupled back to back.

Going even further back, I believe it was stated on Twitter that the prototype is not in the finalised livery.

The Eglinton LRVs are the same as the Waterloo cars except for two things as far as I can tell.

First difference: Waterloo cars have full cabs at both ends (as they will be 1-car trains) and Eglinton's cars will have a full cab at one end only, as they are planned to be run in 2-car trains at the start and maybe eventually 3-car trains. So there will always be a full cab at both ends of each TRAIN. At the opposite end of the cars from the full cab, are small auxillary driving controls that are under a flip-up panel behind the back seat. These controls allow the car to be driven at the back end if necessary, probably at slower speeds. Incidentally, these controls are the same as those that exist on the TTC streetcars (Flexity Outlook). Again, they exist under the flip-up panel behind the last seat of the car and are used by the operator standing up.

Second difference from Waterloo: While the Waterloo cars were ordered in colour, Metrolinx ordered "black and white" for Eglinton.
I know Metrolinx re-branded a few years ago, changing their logo and the Crosstown logo and dropping green from the colour scheme. A step backwards in my opinion. However, most of the renderings and lots of Metrolinx Crosstown images still show lots of green, so there isn't much consistency.

Once again, my biggest complaint is this: They had a chance to get everyone psyched by the new flashy vehicles for the new line and they go and order the drabbest scheme possible. As someone said above; with all the grey concrete in the stations the least they could do is put some colour on the trains. Waterloo's look great, as do Edmonton's. Why not orange accents for Line 5 orange?

It's a shame we're even discussing this but as PR move, it's a fumble.

The branding of the Crosstown has always been Green or Orange. Metrolinx still has some green (mainly visible on new presto cards), so getting grey is actually a huge disappointment, especially since the stations are barren concrete. Sure, the Sheppard Subway had huge financial constraints, but at least it had colour.

This video makes this evident

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...new-eglinton-crosstown-lrt-vehicles-1.4884677

How did they f*** up the LRVS this badly?

Also, loops may be slower depending on the turning radius, but will almost always be able to handle more traffic than switches because multiple LRVs can be in a loop at the same time, only one LRV can go over a switch at a terminal.
There will be no loops on Crosstown. Vehicles will always be run in 2 to 3 vehicle trains with an operator cab at each end. They'll only use the pop-up controls to couple/decouple vehicles in the yard(s)

The Eglinton LRVs are the same as the Waterloo cars except for two things as far as I can tell.

First difference: Waterloo cars have full cabs at both ends (as they will be 1-car trains) and Eglinton's cars will have a full cab at one end only, as they are planned to be run in 2-car trains at the start and maybe eventually 3-car trains. So there will always be a full cab at both ends of each TRAIN. At the opposite end of the cars from the full cab, are small auxillary driving controls that are under a flip-up panel behind the back seat. These controls allow the car to be driven at the back end if necessary, probably at slower speeds. Incidentally, these controls are the same as those that exist on the TTC streetcars (Flexity Outlook). Again, they exist under the flip-up panel behind the last seat of the car and are used by the operator standing up.

Second difference from Waterloo: While the Waterloo cars were ordered in colour, Metrolinx ordered "black and white" for Eglinton.
I know Metrolinx re-branded a few years ago, changing their logo and the Crosstown logo and dropping green from the colour scheme. A step backwards in my opinion. However, most of the renderings and lots of Metrolinx Crosstown images still show lots of green, so there isn't much consistency.

Once again, my biggest complaint is this: They had a chance to get everyone psyched by the new flashy vehicles for the new line and they go and order the drabbest scheme possible. As someone said above; with all the grey concrete in the stations the least they could do is put some colour on the trains. Waterloo's look great, as do Edmonton's. Why not orange accents for Line 5 orange?

It's a shame we're even discussing this but as PR move, it's a fumble.

Finch West and Hurontario will also be grey apparently.

Article says this is car 45 built for Crosstown (44 at Thunderbay are ready for delivery).

Which article are you quoting here? There is a similar statement in this article from The Whig in Kingston:

https://www.thewhig.com/news/local-news/bombardier-unveils-first-millhaven-built-metrolinx-lrv-car

If this is true, then they've done a good job of hiding 44 Crosstown cars in Thunder Bay over the last year(s). I'm wondering when they will be shipped to Toronto.
I know the two prototypes were built in Thunder Bay (the ones with the GREY cloth seats) but they were both sent to Kingston. I had no idea there was going to be production of the "main order" cars in Thunder Bay let alone almost 60% of the order. I thought all the cars were to be built in KIngston as opposed to just 32.

Last edited:
That's the article I read.

Kicking out 76 cars at Millhaven before end of 2019 is completely impossible; part of that order is definitely being assembled elsewhere and Thunderbay is the obvious location to do it.
The 76 Metrolinx LRVs for Crosstown aren't due by the end of 2019. That due date is for the remaining TTC Streetcars...

EDIT: There is also no room to store 44 completed vehicles in Thunder Bay...

Back