News   Jul 25, 2024
 46     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 472     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 436     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Theoretically couldn't an LRT on Lawrence be a branch of the EC and follow the same routing the 54 does? Say from Rouge Hill GO Station along Lawrence, than south on Leslie and connect with the EC at Leslie and Eglinton.

Yes, that could be an option.

And, a flexible one. At first, the Lawrence East line would feed into Elginton tunnel via Leslie. If, at some point in future, the central Eglinton tunnel approaches capacity, then a new Lawrence tunnel can be build under the Glendon campus and under Yonge, the Lawrence East line redirected there, and the Leslie tracks left in place just for a non-revenue connection.

Wow I can't believe they're applying station finishes so soon.

It doesn't look like the elevated guideway has seen significant progress in several months. It looks the same as when I last passed by there.

This is all very exciting. Within the next year I suppose we should be seeing the rest of the stations coming together on the surface. Only three more years to go!

Wow I can't believe they're applying station finishes so soon.

It doesn't look like the elevated guideway has seen significant progress in several months. It looks the same as when I last passed by there.

This is all very exciting. Within the next year I suppose we should be seeing the rest of the stations coming together on the surface. Only three more years to go!
Still three more years to go?

Theoretically couldn't an LRT on Lawrence be a branch of the EC and follow the same routing the 54 does? Say from Rouge Hill GO Station along Lawrence, than south on Leslie and connect with the EC at Leslie and Eglinton.

Yes, that could be an option.

And, a flexible one. At first, the Lawrence East line would feed into Elginton tunnel via Leslie. If, at some point in future, the central Eglinton tunnel approaches capacity, then a new Lawrence tunnel can be build under the Glendon campus and under Yonge, the Lawrence East line redirected there, and the Leslie tracks left in place just for a non-revenue connection.

This really doesn't make sense with the DRL coming.

In any case, I'd rather see BRT on Lawrence. Imagine the DRL Long with ECLRT + Lawrence BRT + Sheppard transit. That would be incredible.

This really doesn't make sense with the DRL coming.

In any case, I'd rather see BRT on Lawrence. Imagine the DRL Long with ECLRT + Lawrence BRT + Sheppard transit. That would be incredible.

DRL is needed in any case, and soon. But in the long term, I wouldn't write off light rail on Lawrence East. Depends on the volume forecast I guess. If it fits well within BRT capacity, then sure it can be BRT.

DRL is needed in any case, and soon. But in the long term, I wouldn't write off light rail on Lawrence East. Depends on the volume forecast I guess. If it fits well within BRT capacity, then sure it can be BRT.

Mandatory.

The Lawrence BRT should be in design already with the current proposals With construction currently on Eglinton for the Crosstown and the added bicycle lanes around Woodbine choking off vehicle traffic on Kingston rd, theres already has been a noticeable increase in traffic on Lawrence from DVP to past Kennedy.

Once the Crosstown is complete, the EELRT would be further removing vehicle lanes towards the core and not only increasing traffic to Lawrence it will drastically impact our express buses along these corridors and force them into greater traffic and replace it with a slower LRT. While I'm sure clogging the roads sounds like great news for those that want to see cars choked off in this City, it will unfortunately create a backlog for commuters on all bus express routes and the 54 Bus which will be even more crucial as a main feeder to a new Smarttrack station at Midland and likely subway station at McCowan. If we are going to be aggressively removing main arterial lanes for bicycles and poorly grade separated local LRT then we need to be just as aggressive relieving and providing express feeders to the main infrastructure.

While I can understand that some inner City residents cant comprehend the major impact of making car commutes worse in the inner suburbs, I have no tolerance for the so called planners not providing equal or greater efficient transit options while removing all these vehicle lanes. Seeing a plan that makes most commuters lives worse is completely unacceptable

Last edited:
Here's the thing, we can use BRT but it has to be real BRT. Not just fancy new busses that operate in mixed traffic or in"priority lanes" like the laughable ones along Eglinton or like what Brampton calls "BRT" (Zum isn't real BRT, same as the majority of VIVA; its just glorified express buses). BRT is what you see on Highway 7 or in Mississauga, dedicated bus only lanes either down the middle of the road or off to the side in its own R.O.W. So putting BRT on Lawrence still ends with 2 lanes being removed for BRT use.

So putting BRT on Lawrence still ends with 2 lanes being removed for BRT use.

Exactly, Its a necessary evil If were seriously making the decision to hack up roads for LRT lines and this should have been already on the books. If the decision was to ensure cars are no longer be allowed to be the most efficient form of transit, then we have to build real BRT on feeder routes. I see many socio-economic benefits of LRT but its all worthless if we are just going to hack it in, with limited attention to connections, impact to the details of car commuter travellers, and express bus and feeder bus routes than we are just making transit far worse for the majority of residents. Very interested to see what happens with the Crosstown eastern portion under Ford as the need for BRT elsewhere becomes greater if not underground

Last edited:
While BRT on Lawrence may one day be viable, as someone who lives on Lawrence and has to put up with the 54 I think for now just fixing its abysmal service is good enough. For a route like the 54 the fact it operates in the state it does is insane. However on the topic of BRT I think the more pressing issue is Ellesmere between STC and UTSC since its a vital connection between the Town Centre and eastern Scarborough; connecting with the EELRT and possibly Durham services. Given the volume of buses that operate that stretch of Ellesmere it would be a good investment. I can see it as the 95/A operates local while the 38, 133, and 95E use the BRT lanes and operate Express making only key stops (Morningside, Neilson, Markham, STC) and Durham buses operate express right through to STC making no stops.

This also opens up the future possibility of converting the Ellesmere BRT into the Ellesmere LRT which would no doubt be a branch of the EELRT branching off from UTSC to STC (while other trains continue north to Malvern)

Last edited:
While BRT on Lawrence may one day be viable, as someone who lives on Lawrence and has to put up with the 54 I think for now just fixing its abysmal service is good enough. For a route like the 54 the fact it operates in the state it does is insane. However on the topic of BRT I think the more pressing issue is Ellesmere between STC and UTSC since its a vital connection between the Town Centre and eastern Scarborough; connecting with the EELRT and possibly Durham services. Given the volume of buses that operate that stretch of Ellesmere it would be a good investment. I can see it as the 95/A operates local while the 38, 133, and 95E use the BRT lanes and operate Express making only key stops (Morningside, Neilson, Markham, STC) and Durham buses operate express right through to STC making no stops.

This also opens up the future possibility of converting the Ellesmere BRT into the Ellesmere LRT which would no doubt be a branch of the EELRT branching off from UTSC to STC (while other trains continue north to Malvern)

Agree and understand all points. But what the 54 Lawrence bus was yesterday and even today is not what it will be in the near future if we build lane removing LRT on Eglinton, Kingston Roads and have both a Smarttrack and subway connection off this line. Keep in mind we will soon have buses eating up a lane past Midland to drop off Smarttrack passengers on top of the overpass. Traffic will heavily increase and impact the 54 and unless the Crosstown is underground, I can see Lawrence being a complete nightmare within in the next decade

Last edited:
Tiger suggested lrt on eglinton, brt on lawrence, something on sheppard and ill assume lrt on finch. That would mean ellesmere / Wilson would be the lone major east west corridor without fancy transit.

Got it. Yes, Ellesmere is a good candidate for BRT, especially in conjunction with the Durham Pulse service.

Back