News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

^It would be a monumental waste of money if the entire western extension was buried. But somehow, I bet that's exactly what we're going to end up with knowing how idiotic our politicians are.

Yes, but we could just as well wind up with the City recommendations: Buried - Royal York, Kipling, Martin Grove; but elevated Jane, Scarlett and Islington.

Just like the existing western end of the Bloor-Danforth Line, we can have intermittent sections that dart underground, route at-grade in an exclusive side-of-roadway ROW and bridge overhead. Only the confines of one's mind is telling them that it has to be at-grade road median only or tunnel only or bust.

Let all the politicians know that, because they seem to be the only ones who seem to think the only choices are 100% at-grade or 100% tunnel.
I don't think you want the line going up and down like a roller coaster.
As said above, elevate over Jane and Scarlett, and underground at Kipling and Martin Grove.

Essentially I could also says to trench it 5m deep. The retaining walls would be quite expensive, so we need struts at the top to support them. By this time, you may as well cover the top, waterproof and pave it, and allow vehicles to drive over top.

Yes, but we could just as well wind up with the City recommendations: Buried - Royal York, Kipling, Martin Grove; but elevated Jane, Scarlett and Islington.

Just like the existing western end of the Bloor-Danforth Line, we can have intermittent sections that dart underground, route at-grade in an exclusive side-of-roadway ROW and bridge overhead. Only the confines of one's mind is telling them that it has to be at-grade road median only or tunnel only or bust.
As I recall, the City found the full grade-separated option (I think with 3 to 5 stations) as being the best benefit cost ratio.
The next option they looked at was grade-separated major intersections with at-grade mid-block stops. It was blatantly clear that fully grade-separate with no mid-block stops was the best option - so they chose to not even study it.

^One of the loudest voices for grade sep was the local MPP, Yvan Baker. He is now unemployed. We will see how his replacement handles the file.

I’m just not sure how much effort the Province will put into steering a city project, even one in Ford territory. It was Councillor Campbell who got a motion approved to reopen the grade sep study, after the city issued a study indicating that grade sep was not needed. I suspect the City is still trying to keep costs down, and will continue to do so.

As to the merits, this was debated here on UT in great detail. No need to recycle thru all that. Just page back in this thread.

- Paul

Asking motorists what they want, if that's what is meant by "commuters", is a very bad way to plan and build transit.

Most of the previous plan ignored motorist impacts all together. That was a very narrow attempt to build transit and the result is the politics we have today. We need to respect all modes of transit. It may never be perfect but were certainly getting closer to building lines the majority of people can support.

Last edited:
Most of the previous plan ignored motorist impacts all together. That was a very narrow attempt to build transit and the result is the politics we have today. We need to respect all modes of transit. It may never be perfect but were certainly getting closer to building lines the majority of people can support.

At grade rapid transit would be more accessible than grade separated rapid transit. Especially, when the elevators are out-of-service at the grade separated stations.

You can keep saying the majority of people support this and that as many times as you want, it does not make it true.

Justtake the finch lrt money and grade seperate eglinton west

There is no money to build Eglinton in the first place, so you can't use the Finch LRT money to cover the extra cost to grade separate it. Even if there was money left over after covering the already spent money and the cancellation costs.

^One of the loudest voices for grade sep was the local MPP, Yvan Baker. He is now unemployed. We will see how his replacement handles the file.
If the loudest voice was on the government side - and didn't get any traction - then wouldn't you say that the MPP must have been ineffective.

Back