News   Jul 15, 2024
 766     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

On that note....actual industry experts (not enthusiasts and couch engineers) : will it actually take over 1.5 years as listed on that page to test and commission this line?

I don't see what's so crazy about that. The TYSSE's testing has been going on since late last year and it's not opening until the end of this year.

I don't see what's so crazy about that. The TYSSE's testing has been going on since late last year and it's not opening until the end of this year.

The question is does it need to take that long or are they just stretching it out for whatever reason...

Update:
The construction of Metrolinx's Crosstown LRT pushes on in central Toronto, as Crosslinx crews work to create a new 19-kilometre light rail transit line that includes a 10-kilometre stretch underneath Eglinton Avenue between Keele Street and Laird Drive. We closely followed the project's tunnelling from the Spring 2013 launch of Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) Dennis and Lea, (a contest-winning name suggested by UrbanToronto member Jason Paris!). Dennis and Lea completed tunnelling for the leg west of Yonge just over one year ago, followed by the completion of the east tunnels a few months later.

Bonus photos from the media tour today:

IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    801.2 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    834.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    965 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    788.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    919.2 KB · Views: 233
Testing on the TYSE only begin in March as far as train operations it wasn't until April that the first powered train made a slow speed run. They still have yet to make runs at service speeds, at least that's what I gathered from Doors open on saturday.

Testing on the TYSE only begin in March as far as train operations it wasn't until April that the first powered train made a slow speed run.

There's other testing that has to happen before that that. They have to do clearance tests, make sure all the rails are set up properly, make sure all the power systems, backups, emergency systems, etc. are working properly, and so on.

They don't need a whole year to test and commission the line.

Ottawa's Confederation Line is to open in 11 months and they still haven't finished all the overheads and track installation.
http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/construction/construction-update-125/

You might want to double that check. OCTranspo has been pretty clear about not committing to an opening date; what they have been giving out is the date the vendor hands them the keys and saying it'll open some time later.

Don't expect to be riding trains in Ottawa as a customer until October 2018.

Last edited:
You might want to double that check. OCTranspo has been pretty clear about not committing to an opening date; what they have been giving out is the date the vendor hands them the keys and saying it'll open some time later

So if the Crosstown is scheduled to open in September of 2021, then we'd expect LRTs to be running from September 2020 and see then out on the above ground portion in traffic, at Kennedy and generally bombing around. Can't wait for doors open Toronto 2020. Mebbe 2019.

Last edited:
There's other testing that has to happen before that that. They have to do clearance tests, make sure all the rails are set up properly, make sure all the power systems, backups, emergency systems, etc. are working properly, and so on.
That all begin in March and is supposed to run until about June or so. Plus at the same time the TTC is also comising the ATC system as well from St. Clair West or possibly Dupont I'm not sure which. Either way a year and a half does seem a bit long for testing the crosstown before it opens.

You might want to double that check. OCTranspo has been pretty clear about not committing to an opening date; what they have been giving out is the date the vendor hands them the keys and saying it'll open some time later.

You're very likely correct that it might not be the opening date but the date it could open for service.

I believe that's that date the consortium has to finished the project or otherwise face a hefty daily fine. I take it as they have to complete testing so there is proof that everything is working when they hand it over. It should be the date the line is in a functional state ready to open. Whatever OcTranspo does it's their problem. The schedule has everything ending by Winter 2018: http://www.ligneconfederationline.c...k_Ahead_2017_EN-final-web-file-2017-03-16.pdf

So I'm correct that they have 11 months to put install tracks, signaling system, overheads, train testing and final commissioning.

So if the Crosstown is scheduled to open in September of 2021, then we'd expect LRTs to be running from September 2020 and see then out on the above ground portion in traffic, at Kennedy and generally bombing around. Can't wait for doors open Toronto 2020. Mebbe 2019.
The prototype has to be in testing around the MSF by early 2019. I highly doubt they need a year to test trains on the line. The Cherry line opened in June last year and the first streetcar that went down to the loop happened in mid-April. Maybe for the burn-in runs but I doubt they need the entire line to burn in vehicles unless there is like 20 vehicles going through burn ins at the same time. I highly doubt they will have more than 4 deliveries in a month. BBD or Alstom.

considering the line was to be completed in 2020 and next thing we know its 2021. Of course originally it was to be completed earlier and I know due to Ford work got delayed for at least 18 months. But what is the reason it went form 2020 to 2021? And who knows when it will really be completed. And of course they will say it got completed on time. Just like the Pan AM games kept getting the completion dates extended and budget increased and in the end the government said it got completed on-time and on-budget and executives actually got bonuses. Unreal

I had to visit a client in Vaughan on Saturday. Drove back into the city down Jane and saw the new stations on TYSSE. Then I headed down Keele to have a look at Eglinton. I must admit that I have not been on that stretch of Eglinton in five years. Holy cow. The commercial base of Eglinton West is decimated. I was shocked. It looks worse than St Clair did ten years back. Boarded up storefronts abound. When the construction is done, it will be once more from the beginning. Frankly I was upset to see how it looked.. If that is the future of Pape or Don Mills for DRL construction, or Eglinton East for Crosstown East, then I'd be closing my business now.

Back