News   Jul 15, 2024
 85     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 605     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

You have got to be kidding me.

What is this, a 25km transit line from Brentcliffe to YYZ, and they grade-separate all but 2 intersections? This is the epitome of incompetence.

And why do they need an East Mall stop. The East Mall bus will remain, so those people can simply take the bus to the Martin Grove station.

Nothing wrong with the design, IMO. They are keeping fairly long surface sections, thus reducing the total cost. And, of course, more than 2 intersections remain at grade, if you count secondary streets.

The original plan was to restrict left turns and add U turn locations along the ROW. With a semi-grade separation, many of the U-turn locations can be done at grade separated places.

I wonder why grade separation is considered for Crosstown West, but not East.

Again, I reiterate the glaring obvious that at the very least the Leslie, Wynford and Victoria Park stations ought to be grade separated. With so much focus on the central tunneled section, I hope that they will address this matter when the eastern portion finally starts construction.

^they should add Warden to be grade separated. Anyone who has seen them at busy intersection would agree.

Again, I reiterate the glaring obvious that at the very least the Leslie, Wynford and Victoria Park stations ought to be grade separated. With so much focus on the central tunneled section, I hope that they will address this matter when the eastern portion finally starts construction.
I definitely think Leslie should be. That'd mean they wouldn't have to turn back trains until Don Mills. I'm unfamiliar of the area further east though, so I can't comment.

What is needed?

I used to think that about 400m or so of tunnel would have to be torn up to move the alignment to the south side.
Thinking a bit more, I think it may be possible to leave the current portal and elevate the line just as Eglinton descends above the Don River.
  1. I don't think you can curve to the south side before the bridge, so the centre +/-6m of the bridge (1 lane in each direction) would have to be demolished so that piers could be constructed in that area, with columns that go through this gap to carry the elevated track. (Each of the bridges would be widened by 1 lane - maybe a bit more for bike lanes).
  2. Just east of the bridge, the track would curve to the south side so that the Leslie station would be just south of the T intersection.
  3. From there, its easy enough to go at grade, either punching some tunnels through the CPR embankment, or curving a bit more south and sneaking under the end span of the railway bridge.
  4. The IBM loop ramp would have to be removed (and changed to more of a diamond interchange).
  5. Ideally, the Don Mills station would be moved more to the SW corner (and the bus station placed there) since the line would have to climb to elevate over the DVP.
In terms of cost, the bridge to Leslie (about 400m) would cost $50M, the road bridge widening $5M, about $40M for a Leslie station, about $10M to get past the CPR, $5M to redo the IBM interchange. The 1.5km over DVP to Wynford would be about $150M, and $40M for a Wynford Station, another $150M to get to Vic Park and $50M for its station. Total - maybe $500M

City staff clarified yesterday that their mandate to work with Mississauga and GTAA on planning the west line beyond Renforth to the Airport area includes negotiating cost sharing with Mississauga and GTAA.

I suspect the higher ridership numbers we are now seeing assume the line serves the Airport area.

I wonder what happens if these bodies just say "Thanks, but no thanks" to cost sharing.

- Paul

City staff clarified yesterday that their mandate to work with Mississauga and GTAA on planning the west line beyond Renforth to the Airport area includes negotiating cost sharing with Mississauga and GTAA.

I suspect the higher ridership numbers we are now seeing assume the line serves the Airport area.

I wonder what happens if these bodies just say "Thanks, but no thanks" to cost sharing.

- Paul

GTAA won't as they have expressed their ambition to make Pearson a major transit hub. Besides, why is city council continues to act like they own the line? They don't, they will just operate and since Hurontario and Eglinton LRTs are both provincial, I doubt Mississauga will have much say in the end.

GTAA won't as they have expressed their ambition to make Pearson a major transit hub. Besides, why is city council continues to act like they own the line? They don't, they will just operate and since Hurontario and Eglinton LRTs are both provincial, I doubt Mississauga will have much say in the end.

Unless the extension requires municipal funding (unlike the Crosstown as is). Not sure if the province is in the mood for 100% funding after this last round.

AoD

Back