News   Jun 25, 2024
 421     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I agree that most LRTs will run better than the Queensway ROW. Those tracks aren't that well built plus the old cars are on their last legs. The only time I have ridden low floor cars in a ROW was in Berlin. Quality is decent there. TTC's embedded tracks are better since they are also rubber isolated.

The Calgary C-Trains are high floor so the cars would absorb some of the vibration. Can't believe the ION would be the first Canadian low floor LRT line (the Vancouver Olympics line doesn't count). Follow by Ottawa, Edmonton, Eglinton and then Finch West. Mississauga and maybe Hamilton after that. I wonder where is Edmonton's cars going to be built.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...2018-due-to-bombardier-train-delays-1.3597328

Flexity Freedom LRVs delayed for Waterloo's ION LRT, and have delayed its opening from late 2017 to early 2018. Doesn't bode well for Eglinton et al. So much for all those saying the Outlook Streetcar problems won't affect Freedom LRVs...

I almost clicked 'Like', as in I like that you were able to post this info to the thread, but it feels so wrong because I do not like what's going on here at all.

This is super bad news for Bombardier. Their production problems are spreading other transit vehicle orders. Doesn't give other potential customers much confidence, and Bombardier will likely lose some future bids because of this.

I don't know why it would like them 3 months to get a vehicle into service if it does arrive in Oct 2017. Probably a good idea to give them more time cause BBD can't deliver.

I don't know why it would like them 3 months to get a vehicle into service if it does arrive in Oct 2017. Probably a good idea to give them more time cause BBD can't deliver.
Good question. They'd have more than enough time with earlier vehicles to test line and train drivers. So why not open a few weeks after last vehicle arrives?

Good question. They'd have more than enough time with earlier vehicles to test line and train drivers. So why not open a few weeks after last vehicle arrives?
The whole line would be operational so they can have the late vehicles operating NIS along with in service vehicles. I expect it has something to do with evening out the mileage (An alien concept to the TTC).

At least they'll have the whole line for the 600 km run unlike the crosstown. They are saying they'll have Mount Dennis and Keelesdale up earlier so all crosstown cars would do the 600km on between the two stations. Must be a really boring job. Unlike the ION, the crosstown have ATO which means a longer testing run.

Looks like the City and TTC are gradually moving forward with a plan to redevelop the old Yonge-Eglinton bus terminal (and some of the land around it)
"as a mixed-use, transit- oriented hub" once the Crosstown come in. Not entirely sure what this means yet (early days, I guess), but it'll be interesting to see where it goes.
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-92960.pdf

Looks like the City and TTC are gradually moving forward with a plan to redevelop the old Yonge-Eglinton bus terminal (and some of the land around it)
"as a mixed-use, transit- oriented hub" once the Crosstown come in. Not entirely sure what this means yet (early days, I guess), but it'll be interesting to see where it goes.
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-92960.pdf

Right across the street, 1 Eglinton East is currently proposed at 65 stories (scaled from 68). Kitty-corner, E Condos' tallest tower will be 58 stories. I would expect to see a 60 storey building at the northeast of the site, hopefully offices over condos, but nonetheless something tall. Beyond that, who knows. I know Councillor Matlow has been pushing hard for public space here.

Waterloo region councillor Tom Galloway was on the Eric Drozd show this morning, and said installation of the vehicle electronics that coordinate with the track-side signalling will be done by GrandLinq post-delivery rather than by Bombardier. That work plus the 600 km burn-in is what results in the lengthy delay between delivery and entry into service.

Not sure how long they keep the audio online, but for anyone that wants to hear it it's in the May 25 10:00 a.m. segment posted at http://www.570news.com/audio/the-eric-drozd-show/, starting about 22 minutes in.

(Edit: I know this isn't the ION thread, but this stemmed from a line of questioning related to yesterday's announcement of the delayed opening for ION caused by BBD's push back to October 2017 for delivery of the final vehicle.)

Last edited:
Right across the street, 1 Eglinton East is currently proposed at 65 stories (scaled from 68). Kitty-corner, E Condos' tallest tower will be 58 stories. I would expect to see a 60 storey building at the northeast of the site, hopefully offices over condos, but nonetheless something tall. Beyond that, who knows. I know Councillor Matlow has been pushing hard for public space here.

Yep, anything would be better than more condos. Parks, community centres, heck even an industrial building or urban farm. Although Y+E has exceptionally high population and employment compared to other GTHA "Urban Growth Centres" (#1 in that category, ahead of NYC and DT) - there's currently a very poor land use diversity (with it sitting in third-last place in that category between RHC-LG and VMC...both very awful non-urban places).

GTHA-urban-growth-centres-land-use.jpg

*this is 2011-2013ish data, and I'm sure things have shifted since it was compiled

Attachments

• GTHA-urban-growth-centres-land-use.jpg
    GTHA-urban-growth-centres-land-use.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,102
Knowing what goes on in this city, we'll probably see yet another condo development take place on the bus terminal site. I'm not optimistic on seeing any kind of office space whatsoever around here.

Sadly, "Mixed Use" zoning roughly translates as 'We hope we can attract some employment uses, but in the end the developer will prevail and we will end up with more condos".

- Paul

Knowing what goes on in this city, we'll probably see yet another condo development take place on the bus terminal site. I'm not optimistic on seeing any kind of office space whatsoever around here.
that area is looking just as bad as Yonge and Bloor where condos are coming right out to the sidewalk as if they are going over you (condo on south east side of Bloor and Yonge). Just awful. Lets see what happens when prices crash and investors pull out.

Back