News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 403     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Having read Ed Levy's book, it has become evident that all our transit plans are rehashes of things that were proposed decades before.

Only 'new' idea that I can think of is a subway under Don Mills.

Toronto's plans over the decades have generally included an inner U, outer U, Bloor-Danforth rapid transit, and more recently (and by recently, I mean 70s), Eglinton rapid transit. Everything is in place now but that damn outer U.

Toronto's plans over the decades have generally included an inner U, outer U, Bloor-Danforth rapid transit, and more recently (and by recently, I mean 70s), Eglinton rapid transit. Everything is in place now but that damn outer U.
isn't the outer U basically SmartTrack?

By the way, he original scope of the St. Clair ROW came in approximately as budgeted, if I recall correctly. That's commendable considering all the crap the TTC had to put up with from the community and Hydro. It was all the stuff that was added on to the project by Councillors that made it go "over budget"
Very true. And the project manager was actually the City, not the TTC as I recall. Streetcar surface projects are generally managed by the City's transportation department.

Another block down
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 2.19.51 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 2.19.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 2.19.51 PM.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 931
Already nearing Yonge Street. Fantastic! Now the real fun begins (i.e. moving the existing station 70 metres north and tunneling underneath YUS, all without disrupting service).

The Finch ICRT system shown is similar in spirit to the Finch West LRT, and it's connection to the airport and Eglinton Crosstown is similar to what's being proposed today.

The ICRT system shown in Scarborough is remarkably similar in spirt to the Crosstown East. Incredible considering that Scarborough Centre wasn't a thing, and Scarborough was largely undeveloped back then

The ICRT sounds more like they where planning an RER than what we are building with the LRT lines. However the Eglinton Crosstown is more in spirit, if not very similar, with the Network 2011 plan, which dumped the Eglinton subway in favour of a BRT line to save costs, before political presser changed it into a stubway and its eventual cancellation in 1995.

The difference with the Eglinton Crosstown this time around is the underground stations and tunnels are specifically designed for LRT's only, essentially killing off any chance of a conversion to HRT without substantial costs.

The difference with the Eglinton Crosstown this time around is the underground stations and tunnels are specifically designed for LRT's only, essentially killing off any chance of a conversion to HRT without substantial costs.
Exactly conversion to heavy rail will never happen and by the time you add up the costs to do that, it would make more sense building a parallel subway or LRT on Lawrence, Finch, or another East-West arterial route.

The ICRT sounds more like they where planning an RER than what we are building with the LRT lines. However the Eglinton Crosstown is more in spirit, if not very similar, with the Network 2011 plan, which dumped the Eglinton subway in favour of a BRT line to save costs, before political presser changed it into a stubway and its eventual cancellation in 1995.

Exactly conversion to heavy rail will never happen and by the time you add up the costs to do that, it would make more sense building a parallel subway or LRT on Lawrence, Finch, or another East-West arterial route.
this does not make sense. Just because if at some future point ridership is such that you need more cars and the decision is to convert to subway, how does putting a parallel subway or LRT on Lawrence do anything to help Egltnton if it gets congested

this does not make sense. Just because if at some future point ridership is such that you need more cars and the decision is to convert to subway, how does putting a parallel subway or LRT on Lawrence do anything to help Egltnton if it gets congested
Case in point, see current Yonge Subway situation for more details.

If Eglinton gets over crowded it will likely not be because of walk in users. Rather it will be because people transfer onto it from bus routes such as jane, kipling or islington. Putting a line on Lawrence would help since it would change where many people decide to transfer.

The ICRT sounds more like they where planning an RER than what we are building with the LRT lines.

I feel like the ICRT was very similar in design to BART in San Francisco.

A middle ground between subway and commuter rail.

Its the number 1 transit line that I really wish actually had happened in Toronto.

I think if ICRT or GO ALRT had actually gone through, Torontos density would be a lot more spread out than concentrated in the downtown today.

If Eglinton gets over crowded it will likely not be because of walk in users. Rather it will be because people transfer onto it from bus routes such as jane, kipling or islington. Putting a line on Lawrence would help since it would change where many people decide to transfer.

I believe that Eglinton underground station boxes were designed with areas on each end of the platform that are constructed for storage/office space, but they can be torn out to create a platform that can accomodate 4 coupled trainsets.

Above ground stations can obviously be exteneded.

So, I think if the Eglinton LRT gets overcrowded the first order will be to extend the platforms and buy more Flexities to make 4 car trains.

If Eglinton Corsstown is NOT convertible to heavy rail at some point in the future, then the voters were seriously lied to. I distinctly remember when they were first planning it, the powers that be emphasized over and over again that convertibility was an option and stations were being designed to accommodate this.

Back