News   Jul 16, 2024
 177     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 316     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

2. SLIDE 29: I asked why is the multi-use trail is on the north side of Eglinton, given that there's an existing trail along Eglinton (west of Jane) that's on the south side. I figured it would have better continuity with the existing trail if it was moved to the south side of Eglinton. I was told that the south side of Eglinton is beyond the scope of this project because the station itself is located on the north side, therefore no work is to be done on the south side other than the new Photography Dr bridge. It will be up to the city to decide if they want to build another trail on the south side in order to have better continuity with the existing Eglinton trail, so maybe it could happen with Eglinton Connects. I believe there will be a reduction in traffic lanes between Weston and Black Creek according to the renderings I saw in the Mt Dennis Mobility Hub Study (Aug 2013), so it's certainly a possibility.

3. I also asked if the retaining wall on the south side of Eglinton will be obliterated just like they're planning on the north side, and the answer is unfortunately no for the same reason as above (beyond their scope).

Having the multi-use trail on the north side of Eglinton is actually better for bicyclists in winter. The winter sun may help in melting the snow and provide some (not perfect) heat on sunny winter days.

Having the multi-use trail on the north side of Eglinton is actually better for bicyclists in winter. The winter sun may help in melting the snow and provide some (not perfect) heat on sunny winter days.

That may be the case, but if you're cycling eastbound from Etobicoke, you will have to cross the road to the other side in the Mt Dennis area, then cross the road again when the bike lanes transition to the standard design (i.e one lane on each side of the road) along the tunnelled part of the LRT. It's not the most user-friendy configuration, so that's why I asked about it.

Makes total sense to have a UPX station at Eglinton, no sense at the current Lawrence location.
I've wondered about alternating - half the trains stop at Weston, the rest at Mount Dennis. It would provide enough service at the two lower-use locations.

More naming shenanigans.

Screen shot 2015-11-23 at 7.56.01 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-11-23 at 7.56.20 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-23 at 7.56.01 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-23 at 7.56.01 PM.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 688
  • Screen shot 2015-11-23 at 7.56.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-23 at 7.56.20 PM.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 642
Naming stations after people is a dangerous and slippery slope. There are lots of non-transit places and streets that can be used to honour deserving people.

If a TTC station is going to be named after a person, the first name on that list should be Kyle Knox. I can't think of anyone who sacrificed more for our transit system.

- Paul

I definitely think a UP station is great, however only if they shutter the Weston station. It makes practically no sense to have the two stations so close--Weston and Bloor are already about 5 minutes apart--and Weston is devoid of any significant connections, whereas the Crosstown, I think, justifies a station.

That said, what was the cost of Weston UP station? If they shutter it that will be a huge waste of money. Very poor planning in the first place--of course it was political due to the local residents/councillor, but how many millions were spent on a station that might end up only having been in service for about 5 years?

What do you propose happens to the existing Weston station? Just used for GO service?

That said, what was the cost of Weston UP station? If they shutter it that will be a huge waste of money. Very poor planning in the first place--of course it was political due to the local residents/councillor, but how many millions were spent on a station that might end up only having been in service for about 5 years?

The Weston station needed to be upgraded for GO/RER service anyways. The UPX platform is a fairly small component of that construction. The whole thing is built to a prettier finish than a GO station alone would warrant, but maybe that precedent will stimulate some greater design creativity for future GO renovations.

GO appears to have reasonable ridership here, and if RER or ST does come along, it will be a useful hub for these. It's a good hub for bus routes north and northwest. And it is better placed than the old station, ie closer to Lawrence, with better ramps and access points. GTS did a decent job of planning the station to enhance the urban plan for this area.

So - other than being a bad precedent for planning station placement around NIMBY appeasement, and wasting a couple minutes of UP riders' time, it's not an extravagance.

- Paul

Back