News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 971     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

PluOTLm.png

Here is a picture of the proposed station/stop names. I may be in the minority here, but I like the Metrolinx naming methodology, and I am happy with the proposed names, including the changes to the existing TTC stations. Some names may be ambiguous now, but these stations names (in my opinion) will end up defining the areas they surround once Line 5 has been operating for a few years.

I can understand why the University Line stations couldn't have the same name as other stations on the same line. But when it's a completely different line, these "artisinal" names just add confusion.

Map with proposed station names:

JT3OgVY.png

I don't like this at all. Why is Eglinton-Yonge station now called "Eglinton" station? That name tells you nothing about where the station is. There very first thing I thought when I saw that station was, "where on Eglinton is Eglinton Station?". This should be called Eglinton-Yonge.

Allen Station is equally weird. Why is it that "Eglinton Station" is named by the east/west street, but Allen is named by the north/south street? And of course, someone on Allen Road will be wondering, "where on Allen is Allen Station?". To keep things consistent, they need to either name them both by the east/west street (so two Eglinton Stations), both by the north/south (Allen Station and Yonge Station), or do the smart thing and name them by the cross street (Eglinton-Allen) and (Eglinton-Yonge).

Naming based on "popular" landmarks or neighbourhoods doesn't make much sense. How many people know exactly where the Science Centre, Oriole Park, Forest Hill, Fairbank or Silverthorne is? Name them by the cross street.

Finally, appending "& Eglinton" onto the name of cross streets makes no sense at all. What's the point of appending that to only at-grade stations? From a customer's POV, it makes it seem as if the rest of the ECLRT isn't on Eglinton. And of course, the line is called 5 Eglinton Line, so adding "&Eglinton" onto the name is redundant.

This whole report is a mess. I can't believe this is what they're actually considering.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with TigerMaster. Especially the surface stop names, completely redundant and stupid. If those stops aren't on Eglinton, then where are they?? It's the EGLINTON crosstown. As for the underground stops - Silverthorne, Fairbank (FAIRBANK??? the stop is at DUFFERIN!!), etc. - the proposed naming protocol is idiotic.

Naming stations after neighbrouhoods makes navigating the city more difficult, but it also helps to develop and strengthen community identities in our minds.

Fairbank might not be well known NOW, but I have no doubt that if they chose that name that within a couple of years people would become familiar with where Fairbank is located.

Map with proposed station names:

JT3OgVY.png

I don't like this at all. Why is Eglinton-Yonge station now called "Eglinton" station? That name tells you nothing about where the station is. There very first thing I thought when I saw that station was, "where on Eglinton is Eglinton Station?". This should be called Eglinton-Yonge.

Allen Station is equally weird. Why is it that "Eglinton Station" is named by the east/west street, but Allen is named by the north/south street? And of course, someone on Allen Road will be wondering, "where on Allen is Allen Station?". To keep things consistent, they need to either name them both by the east/west street (so two Eglinton Stations), both by the north/south (Allen Station and Yonge Station), or do the smart thing and name them by the cross street (Eglinton-Allen) and (Eglinton-Yonge).

Naming based on "popular" landmarks or neighbourhoods doesn't make much sense. How many people know exactly where the Science Centre, Oriole Park, Forest Hill, Fairbank or Silverthorne is? Name them by the cross street.

Finally, appending "& Eglinton" onto the name of cross streets makes no sense at all. What's the point of appending that to only at-grade stations? From a customer's POV, it makes it seem as if the rest of the ECLRT isn't on Eglinton. And of course, the line is called 5 Eglinton Line, so adding "&Eglinton" onto the name is redundant.

This whole report is a mess. I can't believe this is what they're actually considering.

Now that I look at this, you are right.

Why do some stations that exist on other lines have to be renamed, but for the rest, we will rename it to "& Eglinton".... thats so bizarre. Either rename stations or don't!

Sure, all of the "& Eglinton" exist above ground as "LRT stops" but, why does that mean they get the name & Eglinton". The rest of the line follows Eglinton too...just underground

Thats going to get really annoying for the stop announcements: "Now arriving at Victoria Park and Eglinton, Victoria Park and Eglinton Station"

And yeah, "Eglinton" station should be called "Yonge" What a screw up!

So I take it this whole renaming exercise is to avoid name duplication of existing subway stations. As transit expands in this city, there will inevitably be some duplication just like in other cities, so trying to avoid that not only futile but it makes navigating the city more difficult (as CDL.TO said). What next, are they also gonna rename the Finch and Sheppard LRT too? Will Jane & Finch station turn into something dumb like "University Heights"?

The city is built on a grid system, therefore people rely on street names to know where they are. If we were Boston or Paris, then neighbourhood names would be perfectly appropriate. I'm not against renaming some of the smaller street names after the neighbourhood (e.g Chaplin --> Forest Hill, Laird --> Leaside, Mt Dennis I'm ok with) to foster some "neighbourhood identity", but please don't mess with the major arterials. This is just another example of how Metrolinx is out of touch with the needs of the 416, and now they want to impose their GO transit naming convention against the TTC.

Some more thoughts:
1. Why are the surface stops called ___ & Eglinton, but as soon as the train enters the tunnel everything has to have completely different names?
2. Aha Khan & Eglinton - please just call it "Aga Khan", get rid of the "Eglinton".
3. Oriole Park - this station (at Avenue Rd) is not a duplicate, and never will be. Oriole Park is not even a neighbourhood. Put back the previous name.
4. Science Centre - it's quite a walk from the actual station. Since one day this will be an interchange station, how about they use interchange naming convention instead (i.e Eglinton-Don Mills). While they're at it, the same thing should be done at Eglinton-Yonge and Eglinton-Allen.

On the bright side, at least there's no Vaughan Metropolitan Centre style bullcrap.

The city is built on a grid system, therefore people rely on street names to know where they are.

Thank you. Torontonians have been using the grid system to pinpoint location forever. We all know the exact location of Eglinton & Leslie, Leslie & Sheppard, Sheppard & Yonge, Yonge & Queen, Queen & Ossington, etc, even if we've never been to the location before and know nothing about it. It's marvellously simple and accurate way to pinpoint location. We're very lucky to have our own Cartesian Plane in our city, and we should embrace it whenever possible.

Say "Eglinton & Dufferin" and every single Torontonian will know where exactly where that is and how to get there. Say "Fairbank" and the first thing we'll ask is what is the nearest intersection, so we can know how to get there. Please don't screw this up Metrolinx.

Say "Eglinton & Dufferin" and every single Torontonian will know where exactly where that is and how to get there. Say "Fairbank" and the first thing we'll ask is what is the nearest intersection, so we can know how to get there. Please don't screw this up Metrolinx.
Knowing Metrolinx, they will screw it up. I'll give them credit for listening to the community and riders (to an extent), but right now they are in a love affair with naming stations after local communities. Not that it's a bad thing, but when you mix it up with local street names like "Ionview and Eglinton" it just makes for a mess.

They should make up their mind, either name the stations after local communities or name them after the street name. The last thing they should do is play "mashup" where they name stations west of Yonge after communities, and those east of Yonge after street names.

Other cities can have multiple stations with the same name and it doesn't cause problems. Why can't we?

I agree with Forest Hill, Oriole Park and Aga Khan Stations though.

Leaside isn't bad, but the heart of Leaside is around Laird. Bayview is the western border and the name Leaside probably won't sit well with people north and west of Bayview. I also disagree with the proposed Sunnybrook name, given that most people associate Sunnybrook with Leslie rather than Bayview and Eglinton.

I think both Bayview and Laird are both fine as station names.

If need be, call it Bayview South, Dufferin North, Keele North.

Has anyone seen or have a link to this study? I've never seen it.

Never mind: I should read the article more closely :)

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/station_naming_-_eglinton_line_0.pdf

This is the link everyone who is asking "why" should be reading. It explains the logic, which is based upon developing a naming system that could be applied consistently across the region.

Here's what seems to be the key framework:

JXkqHfr.jpg

Developing a consistent system makes a lot of sense to me. I think the best way to constructively criticise would be to comment on the design of framework (or the idea of having a consistent framework altogether), rather than just commenting on the outcomes.

Last edited:

Back